You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
joel9507

7.11 MM improvements for T8s.....supposedly

6 comments in this topic

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,390 battles

So, listening to the Waterline videos, and looking at the patch notes for 7.11, I was expecting a new, sunny day for T8 ships.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-0711-rule-britannia/

Matchmaker Optimization

In response to numerous requests from our players, we are improving the matchmaker and enhancing the algorithms responsible for creating teams. This change will be more relevant to Tier VIII–X ships. Tier X battles will have fewer Tier VIII and IX ships as these will more often be matched to Tier VIII and IX battles.

Supposedly, T8s aren't to be chiefly cannon-fodder for 2-tier-higher ships most of the time.  Huzzah!  Let the celebrations begin.

Except.....maybe not.

Absolutely, recognition of this issue was a good first step.  Well over half the time, my T8 ships have found themselves battling T10 battles (see details).  I understand the problem (per the Waterline video) of having too many T10 ships in the queues.  But what's happened is people who understand the MM have been avoiding their T8s, which makes the problem worse (i.e. fewer T8s in the queue, but no impact on the number of T10s in the queue....thus it is even worse for the folks still grinding/playing T8s.)

This uptier-matchmaking issue also makes buying T8 premiums less attractive - probably affecting revenues, as well.  So, good for them for giving it a shot.

How did they do?

It is way too early to have statistically significant data on 7.11 but there is no evidence of an improvement so far.    The distribution of battle tiers for my T8s has continued to be disproportionately T10 (7/11-64%) but with only 11 Post 7.11 samples that is not dispositive.  In addition, anecdotally since 7.11 I have seen a number of T10 battles with only one-two-three T8s and no T9s since the patch and that almost never used to happen. 

Details:   

Before 7.11 - MXstat summary (119 random battles, T8 ships)

At tier:  39 (33%)
T9 battle: 14 (12%)
T10 battle: 66 (55%)

After 7.11 - MXstat summary (11 random battles, T8 ships)

At tier:  2 (18%)
T9 battle: 2 (18%)
T10 battle: 7 (64%)

Discussion

This was/is horrendous MM (for the T8s).  While the 7.11 numbers are not statistically significant, they do not show any evidence of improvement for T8. 

Conclusion:

It may be the MM code never got included in the patch - not something that an outsider can assess.  I can say there is no evidence of improvement.  The job may (or may not?) have started, but it is far from finished.

Members
1,472 posts
12,551 battles

For the most part have not really seen any change.  Have been grinding Lightning and did have one game when top tier, but other 4 have been bottoms tier- played a couple of Tirpitz games, both bottom tier.   This is as a Solo, so not sure the division players have seen a change.

Members
4,919 posts
5,708 battles

I've noticed a difference in my T8 MM. Yes I still get games that are T10 heavy, the difference here is these game are more frequently without T9s and only 2-4 T8s. However, I'm also seeing more mixed games with T10s. More games with a decent number of T8s, some T9s, and a few T10s in the mix. I've also started to see more top tier games in my T8s.

This is likely because it seems the 'optimization' had a different effect than intended. It seems it made T9 more likely to pull top tier games, and T7s are being pulled out of queue for those, but that is making it easier for MM to grab T8s for a top tier with T6s and T7s.

But ultimately, I would just give it more time. Allow for word of mouth to spread about this change and for more people to start filling the T8 queue back up. Half the issue was the sheer number of T10s sitting in queue needing to pull from -2 to fill out games(due to the near-complete lack of T9s in queue at any given time). The other half was population distribution. As people started to realize that T8 was likely to be pulled into T10, they naturally started playing it less and less, which exaggerated the problem. As players hear about this change, and start playing T8s again, it should eventually have the intended effect. The population distribution just isn't there at the moment.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WOLF7]
Members
10,349 posts
1 hour ago, joel9507 said:

SNIP

How did they do?

It is way too early to have statistically significant data on 7.11 but there is no evidence of an improvement so far.    The distribution of battle tiers for my T8s has continued to be disproportionately T10 (7/11-64%) but with only 11 Post 7.11 samples that is not dispositive.  In addition, anecdotally since 7.11 I have seen a number of T10 battles with only one-two-three T8s and no T9s since the patch and that almost never used to happen. 

Details:   

Before 7.11 - MXstat summary (119 random battles, T8 ships)

At tier:  39 (33%)
T9 battle: 14 (12%)
T10 battle: 66 (55%)

After 7.11 - MXstat summary (11 random battles, T8 ships)

At tier:  2 (18%)
T9 battle: 2 (18%)
T10 battle: 7 (64%)

Discussion

This was/is horrendous MM (for the T8s).  While the 7.11 numbers are not statistically significant, they do not show any evidence of improvement for T8. 

Conclusion:

It may be the MM code never got included in the patch - not something that an outsider can assess.  I can say there is no evidence of improvement.  The job may (or may not?) have started, but it is far from finished.

Good intentions, horrible implementation. 

• Cool 1

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
1,030 posts
6,397 battles

I think they left it out, remember how they left out the storm feature in 0.7.11 and didn't tell anyone (but was in the patch notes)?

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,390 battles

Update with more 7.11 T8 battles.  New 'fixed' MM worse than the old one, for T8s, instead of better, as was claimed.

T8 Random Battles: 34

Battle Tier:
T8:   7 (20.5%)
T9:   7 (20.5%)
T10: 20 (59%)

Not only is this not an improvement over pre-7.11, it is worse. From my OP, based on Mxstat numbers for 119 battles, before the 'fix,' the T8 MM mix was 33% at tier (vs 20.5% now) and 'only' 55% tier X games.

I am thinking some programmer may have read this part 'Tier X battles will have fewer Tier VIII and IX ships ' and just coded that up exactly as stated, and tries to put some minimal number of T8 ships into all the Tier X battles.  I am seeing more and more lineups with onesie-twosie T8s (and sometimes no T9s!) in a mostly TX battle.

At any event, there remains zero evidence that this patch is delivering the second half of the statement 'these will more often be matched to Tier VIII and IX battles'