You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FlakKnight

Shinonome Required to earn PEF or just on PTR?

25 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles

WG, on today's news for 7.12 you state Shinonome is required for later stages of the public test, but it's not clear whether the wording is meant to imply the Shinonome is only a stand-in for another ship on PTR or whether it being a reward for the stage 1 directive (vs the meritorious service campaign or whatever) is the PTR only temporary component.  I'm guessing I'm not alone in not actively trying to complete the campaign for it because,  frankly, I don't really care for IJN DDs so it's just been passively completing slowly for me.  But I would like to know if these are just Cossack/Le Terrible style "extra bonus" missions or if the completion of the campaign is actually mandatory to earn the PEF since it's a significant time investment.

[S0L0]
Members
1,252 posts
6,338 battles

Pretty sure it's a gate just for the PTS, they arrange things like that often enough to make sure certain features get enough playtime before others get tested.

Matt

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,357 posts
7,703 battles
9 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

WG, on today's news for 7.12 you state Shinonome is required for later stages of the public test, but it's not clear whether the wording is meant to imply the Shinonome is only a stand-in for another ship on PTR or whether it being a reward for the stage 1 directive (vs the meritorious service campaign or whatever) is the PTR only temporary component.  I'm guessing I'm not alone in not actively trying to complete the campaign for it because,  frankly, I don't really care for IJN DDs so it's just been passively completing slowly for me.  But I would like to know if these are just Cossack/Le Terrible style "extra bonus" missions or if the completion of the campaign is actually mandatory to earn the PEF since it's a significant time investment.

The Shinonome unlocked after completing the first directive is just for the Public Test.

Hope that helps!

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
12,485 posts
7,926 battles
12 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

Pretty sure it's just the PTS.

OTOH it's a big thing because premium ships are not normally accessible on the PTS and I can now try Shinonome out and see whether it's worth it to bust a gut for the Honourable Service campaign.

• Cool 1

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,155 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OTOH it's a big thing because premium ships are not normally accessible on the PTS and I can now try Shinonome out and see whether it's worth it to bust a gut for the Honourable Service campaign.

It is. It's not the be all end all of IJN DD'S, as in, she's no Kami, but she is fun.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,485 posts
7,926 battles
6 minutes ago, BrokenGamer said:

It's not the be all end all of IJN DD'S

My understanding is that she's basically a premium Fubuki with more guns and shorter-ranged, less-bitey torpedoes, a hybrid (if you will) of the gunboat and torpedo lines. Should be interesting to try her out!

• Cool 1

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My understanding is that she's basically a premium Fubuki with more guns and shorter-ranged, less-bitey torpedoes, a hybrid (if you will) of the gunboat and torpedo lines. Should be interesting to try her out!

This is true. My biggest gripe is the slow turret traverse.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,485 posts
7,926 battles
1 minute ago, Kevs02Accord said:

My biggest gripe is the slow turret traverse.

I'm grinding Mutsuki at the moment, and not that long ago got finished with Fushun. How much worse is it, if at all?

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles
22 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

The Shinonome unlocked after completing the first directive is just for the Public Test.

Hope that helps!

#anchorsaweigh

Not really unfortunately, the question is whether the Shinonome is actually required for the live campaign missions as well so people should get grinding?

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,357 posts
7,703 battles
Just now, FlakKnight said:

Not really unfortunately, the question is whether the Shinonome is actually required for the live campaign missions as well so people should get grinding?

No, Shinonome is just a ship that was chosen for players to complete the directives.

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,300 battles
Just now, Gneisenau013 said:

No, Shinonome is just a ship that was chosen for players to complete the directives.

#anchorsaweigh

TY!

• Cool 1

[CCTV2]
[CCTV2]
Beta Testers
276 posts
5,797 battles

Shinonome is cool ship, I use it to train my Shimmakaze's commanders

[XBRTC]
Members
2,848 posts
9,023 battles

Shinonome is more or less what Fubuki used to be, but with torpedoes that fit at T6. 3 years ago, it would have been pretty much crap (just like Kamikaze R was widely panned as a nerfed Minekaze) but ... it's pretty dang competitive now. Just gotta be mindful of radar, because you're going to run into a lot more of it than you do with Kamikaze.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,043 posts
9,373 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Hope that helps!

#anchorsaweigh

55 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#anchorsaweigh

Gneisenau, the hero we need, the hero we deserve

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
728 posts
1,900 battles

Kinda sad that this is the only thread talking about PEF as being a reward ship...all the other threads ranting about Steel and no threads jumping for joy over a free-ish reward ship, even from the people that were recently wondering about its status... :Smile_facepalm:

[MLPVA]
Members
291 posts
3,617 battles
19 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Kinda sad that this is the only thread talking about PEF as being a reward ship...all the other threads ranting about Steel and no threads jumping for joy over a free-ish reward ship, even from the people that were recently wondering about its status... :Smile_facepalm:

Speak for yourself. I've got a couple six-packs of Obsidian Stout waiting for when I finally get my mitts on the Prinz.

• Cool 1

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,155 battles

Good taste in brew, that. 

I'm kinda...yeah, it's a free ship but how often do I play that tier kind of mood.

Still, freeish is freeish.

So I'm not going to complain. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,277 posts
9,895 battles
45 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

it's pretty dang competitive now.

All it needs is standard torp detection (like what the Kami clones and every other non-IJN or PA DD have) and it would be perfect.

Honestly, with that fixed it's what I feel the pre-Akizuki part of that line should be.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,848 posts
9,023 battles
1 minute ago, WanderingGhost said:

All it needs is standard torp detection (like what the Kami clones and every other non-IJN or PA DD have) and it would be perfect.

Honestly, with that fixed it's what I feel the pre-Akizuki part of that line should be.

Give it stealth-torps and it would be a truly evil bote.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,277 posts
9,895 battles
40 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Give it stealth-torps and it would be a truly evil bote.

I don't even need stealth torps (to me "Stealth Torps" are PA DD's torps that leave about 4-5 seconds to react due to spotting) - I just need standard torps like any other line. At which point after how long now of over nerfed IJN torps - this sums up what I'd be like:

giphy.gif

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't bust a gut, just pick a couple one-star missions and forget about it. You'll get the ship eventually.

I've only played a few games in mine, and I'm not a DD player, let alone IJN DDs. But the few games showed me that it can be a pretty fun ship.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,743 posts
16,141 battles
3 hours ago, Kevs02Accord said:

This is true. My biggest gripe is the slow turret traverse.

That and she is slower than molasses. Only same tier BB are slower than her. Without a speed flag you can't "run away" with any surety.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,848 posts
9,023 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

I don't even need stealth torps (to me "Stealth Torps" are PA DD's torps that leave about 4-5 seconds to react due to spotting) - I just need standard torps like any other line. At which point after how long now of over nerfed IJN torps - this sums up what I'd be like:

giphy.gif

Well, yeah, okay, those are SUPER stealth torps. I was thinking more along the lines of Kami, though. Not truly stealthy, but just not visible from orbit with the naked eye, either.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
728 posts
1,900 battles
3 hours ago, DarfTarts421 said:

Speak for yourself. I've got a couple six-packs of Obsidian Stout waiting for when I finally get my mitts on the Prinz.

Bottoms up! :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,277 posts
9,895 battles
2 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Well, yeah, okay, those are SUPER stealth torps. I was thinking more along the lines of Kami, though. Not truly stealthy, but just not visible from orbit with the naked eye, either.

Yeah, much as people freak out over those torps they are literally the same as every other nations. Any other nation with a similar torp speed has the exact same spotted range as those, they just usually have it at a higher tier. Gaede, 1 tier up, has torps 3 knots slower, but 1km more range, that actually leave two tenths of a second less reaction time. Every DD or cruiser barring PA and IJN pretty much follows a rule that between 66-70 knots is a 1.4 km spotted range. 61/2-65 is 1.3 km spotted range. Below that is 1.2 or 1.1 again, depending on speed range. Why to me they aren't "Stealth" - their just normal. 

Torpedo speed, spotting, reaction times

you go through the lists this guy compiled, you start to see that beyond damage, and having higher speed torps sooner - again the nations who entire identity for 3/4 lines is torps, toeps, torps, the torps brought back in line would be be otherwise average. Like on Minekaze (one of the few tier 5+ that has a spotted range that matches speed), where as literally every other nation has better guns to deal damage with. Every nation, the Minekaze, and the Kami clones, all come in generally under 8 seconds of reaction time, many that aren't the IJN ones I just names, closer to 7.5 seconds. PA DD's - around 4-5 seconds. All other IJN - around 9.5 seconds or higher. 

• Cool 1