Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ericmopar

No Player Identification over Ships?

19 comments in this topic

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles

I've had people ask for help at the beginning of a match, but there is no ID over their ship. So I have no idea where they are at.

In WoT you can set names types etc over the tanks, both friend and foe alike, doesn't WoWS support that type of thing?

Do players with the names over the ships, have a mod installed?

Am I missing something? Why no 64bit version of this game?

[INTEL]
Members
1,467 posts
12,036 battles
1 minute ago, Ericmopar said:

I've had people ask for help at the beginning of a match, but there is no ID over their ship. So I have no idea where they are at.

In WoT you can set names types etc over the tanks, both friend and foe alike, doesn't WoWS support that type of thing?

Settings.

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles
3 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Settings.

I looked all over in the settings and can't find anything about markers over the ships.

What do they call it in the settings?

[INTEL]
Members
1,467 posts
12,036 battles

I looked all over in the settings and can't find anything about markers over the ships.

What do they call it in the settings?

I believe it's called "alternate interface"

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,333 posts
12,427 battles

I think it's called "alternative UI" in the same place where you select your crosshairs.

Members
4,625 posts
7,573 battles
1 hour ago, Ericmopar said:

Older game engine that is not 64 bit and it was not really needed for the game to look really good and play on older hardware.  I think a recent post had something from a dev about doing 64 bit and then another thread that WG bought the studio that did Fractured Space.   I can see then using that studio or people to work on 64 bit engine and port the game over.

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles

Got it, thank you people. :Smile_great:

What is funny, is I've hardly touched anything in the settings, but the actual graphics settings, but restarting the game so it would reset everything, fixed some odd bugs.

Like I said, I've only been digging around with V-Sync, AA settings etc, so I can't figure why a reset would put things right, but it did.

Thanks again, Eric

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles
17 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Older game engine that is not 64 bit and it was not really needed for the game to look really good and play on older hardware.  I think a recent post had something from a dev about doing 64 bit and then another thread that WG bought the studio that did Fractured Space.   I can see then using that studio or people to work on 64 bit engine and port the game over.

World of Tanks actually looks better while using less resources since 1.0 dropped. If they did that with this game, it'd be awesome.

Edited by Ericmopar

Members
4,625 posts
7,573 battles
12 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

World of Tanks actually looks better while using less resources since 1.0 dropped. If they did that with this game, it'd be awesome.

It is going to take a lot of work to get it over to 64 bit and I think that is the largest reason they picked up the Fractured Space studio.  Remember - WoWs is still really young compared to WOT and they only just now got 64 bit.  WG made a decision early on for slower machines to run WoWs well.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,798 posts
4,305 battles
19 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

Turn the Alternate Interface on Full.  Select Dynamic Crosshairs.

There is a mod to display the player name over the ship in the mini-map.

The game engine is made by Big World what WG owns now.  It is porting the engine to 64 bit, and the game will cease to "support" 32-bit, which really means it won't run on a 32-bit OS.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,051 posts
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The game engine is made by Big World what WG owns now.  It is porting the engine to 64 bit, and the game will cease to "support" 32-bit, which really means it won't run on a 32-bit OS.

It's about time. I built my computer ten years ago and even then relatively few systems were still running 32-bit operating systems with less than 4 GB RAM. Today, less than 3% of Windows users are running 32-bit operating systems, unless it's on a secondary machine designed to run older software and as a test bed. Gaming companies shouldn't be hindered by a few holdouts using antiquated systems.

• Cool 1

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles

I used to think 32 bit vs 64bit wouldn't make much difference in gaming, but a train sim I fire up once in awhile was finally upgraded to x64 and I can't believe how much faster and smoother it runs.

I'm on a good system, I7-7700k and GTX 1070 and it made a noticeable difference in play on that old train sim engine.

Edited by Ericmopar
typo

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Turn the Alternate Interface on Full.  Select Dynamic Crosshairs.

There is a mod to display the player name over the ship in the mini-map.

Question, what do dynamic crosshairs do? I saw them in the menu, but didn't touch them last night, not knowing what they are.

Edited by Ericmopar
typo

[WOLF9]
Members
9,798 posts
4,305 battles

Question, what do dynamic crosshairs do? I saw them in the menu, but didn't touch them last night, now knowing what they are.

The scale adjusts to the distance to the selected target.  With the Alternate Interface on, you can read the distance and flight time to the target and better estimate the aim point on the scale.  The unknown that is left to you is the target ship speed.  Most people like the Dynamic Crosshairs once they get used to it.  Some don't.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,708 posts
12,509 battles
On 11/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, Ericmopar said:

Really? I remember WoT in the early days and it worked much, much better for me than it has recently. 

Recently, its just laggy as all hell and I cant find a combination of settings that doesnt mean the environment jumps around all over the place. 

WoWS is much, much smoother.  And my computer isnt garbage either. 

[VN]
Members
124 posts
2,732 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Really? I remember WoT in the early days and it worked much, much better for me than it has recently. 

Recently, its just laggy as all hell and I cant find a combination of settings that doesnt mean the environment jumps around all over the place. 

WoWS is much, much smoother.  And my computer isnt garbage either. 

With the old client my GPU fans wound up quite a bit, now even in the middle of a game with ultra settings, my PC is dead quiet.

So for me, it's running better and looking better both.

Sign in to follow this