You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Someone Claimed Tonight the Nerf On What BB AP or Any Other Ships AP for that Matter

9 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,143 posts

Didn't affect how it acted against a Khaba  and AP  was more effective than HE  on the Khaba:Smile_sceptic:  Any truth to this?

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Boring 1

[STURM]
Members
318 posts
3,141 battles

Khaba and Harugamo are the only two DDs that still can take regular pens from battleships, at least according to patch notes. I haven't tested it myself.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles

This means BB AP will still be effective (ie, 33% + chance of additional overpen) against those two ships and will not be arbitrarily limited to 10%. 

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
756 posts
4,396 battles

Reading is hard confirmed.

Even more so when my clan mate is the Khaba who you got salty at because you tried to chase a Khaba. In a Missouri.

image.png.52306e91da835b8340e166427ee04ee9.png

Also... This thread has some first-class title gore.

• Funny 4

[DAKI]
Members
8 posts
4,611 battles

So... To put this into context... I was in a Khabarovsk sitting still broadside at 7km to this Missouri. He proceed to only fire HE at my broadside, when Khabarovsk is unaffected by the newest AP changes. The battleship AP would have done full damage pens, and with the 50mm plating of the Khabarovsk, it would be consistent full pens. But he just continued to fire HE, and the shells were all absorbed into my guns, steering, torpedoes, and other modules, then complained about Khabarovsk being OP.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.81c68c66fdc8191c8e3fe5c9133ed98a.png
As you can see, the AP change does not affect Khabarovsk and Harugumo.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

Khab's 50mm plates found on sections of her hull also make her fairly resistant to even most HEAVY CRUISER 203mm HE.

203mm / 6 = 33.83 or 34mm of armor needed to defeat this size of HE shell.

Which means Khab can tank even 203mm HE from Cruisers better than many Battleships who are covered in 32mm armor in her tier range.

I remember long ago getting into a 7km or less fight with a distressed Khabarovsk with my Des Moines.  Khab was in big trouble from my team to the point that my DM was being ignored by it.  I slammed Khab repeatedly in the hull with my DM's super fast HE spam but Khab wouldn't die despite having only a few thousand HP left.  I wondered how in the hell this was happening and veteran players on these boards pointed out I aimed at the worst possible place against Khab with Cruiser HE... The hull.  The 50mm plate sections are impervious to Des Moines' 203mm HE.  Des Moines if given the chance to blast away at a RN or French BB which are covered with 32mm armor?  DM will eat them alive.  DM firing at Khab's 50mm armor with HE?  Khab will laugh.

Even typical 203mm HE with IFHE cannot penetrate Khab's 50mm plates.

(203mm / 6) x 1.3 = 43.98 or 44mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell even though it's buffed by IFHE.

However, German CAs with their special HE Pen Buff will carve right through Khab's 50mm plates.  They get the /4 rule instead of the /6 that other Cruisers have to contend with.

203mm / 4 = 50.75 or 51mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

So, any German CA (203mm) facing a Khab?  Their HE can penetrate Khab's 50mm plate.

The workaround for a Cruiser is to aim at the superstructure of Khab if firing HE, that takes more precision though against a target sailing that fast.  You can also try with AP if Khab is showing enough side.  But then you also risk the Khab angling to bounce Cruiser AP on the hull.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles

Indeed, @HazeGrayUnderway. In the last season of Ranked, where I mostly played Hindenburg, Khabarovsk would try to kite but every time my HE hit it really hurt them. By the end I was a pretty good shot against a max range manoeuvring Khab - must have been perceived as borderline  hax by more than one person...

Edited by UltimateNewbie