You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Contemplating picking up a ship or two tomorrow, want advice

57 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,368 posts
2,148 battles

I am probably going to pick up a premium ship tomorrow as a self birthday present and am considering two options.  One is the Atago Black as I've long (since highschool in the 1980s/90s) liked the look of the Takao class cruisers and it is cheaper, which makes it more tolerable to my budget.  That said, I am definitely not as good in IJN cruisers as I am in BBs.

The other option is the Vanguard/Dreadnought package.  The price is steeper, but I get two ships I am interested in.  Dreadnought because it is Dreadnought (19 knot speed be damned, grrrr.) and Vanguard because it seems to actually use AP.  I've long been a fan of British history, particularly the Royal Navy and Royal Airforce and so was very much looking forward to the British BBs, but then we got HE spamming dullness out of it.  The Hood is my favorite ship in the game for its flexibility and use of AP tactics and I understand that Vanguard joins Hood and Warspite as one of the few AP focused British BBs.  It is also fast, which is what draws me to Hood over Warspite.

In both cases I am at Tier VII in the tech tree for the IJN cruiser and RN BB lines.  I have a 19 point RN BB captain and a 19 point IJN BB captain in terms on Elite Commander EXP earning.

Thoughts?

Edited by Helstrem

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles

Vanguard is very bleh and has uncomfortable turret angles. Good guns and the rudder shift is meme, though.

Atago is one of the oldest premium ships in the game and still viable in the current meta, which indicates how strong a ship it really is.

I would recommend Blatago.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,368 posts
2,148 battles

Atago is looking likely from my perspective too, which is why I lead with it.  The recent buff is encouraging it as well.

If you have it, how does the black camo look?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

If you have it, how does the black camo look?

n5OyJPa.jpg

VXjRVhZ.jpg

0AsUK2i.jpg

qieMPVW.jpg

qXLX54t.jpg

Absolute beauty ... Click on the pictures for 1080p.

• Cool 5

[-SYN-]
Members
22 posts
2,065 battles

Atago, consistent with IJN cruiser play from T5 up, can use as a viable trainer for DD, CA, and BB skippers.  Arguably more comfortable to play at T10 then Ibuki.  Great ship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles

I just got the Atago Black a few days ago.

Early returns are very YES on her.  Hella good price, too.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,368 posts
2,148 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Thanks, Lert.

[SALVO]
Members
17,652 posts
18,478 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

n5OyJPa.jpg

VXjRVhZ.jpg

0AsUK2i.jpg

qieMPVW.jpg

qXLX54t.jpg

The silver (or chrome?) highlights really make Black ships look pretty special.  I have the Blasashio, and it looks sweet.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The silver (or chrome?) highlights really make Black ships look pretty special.  I have the Blasashio, and it looks sweet.

Truth. If you look closely you can see that there are two different shades of black on the ship as well. That, the silver trim and the lack of rust really adds a lot of class to the look.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
349 posts
3,892 battles

Atago, even though I haven't played in it a while is a very comfortable ship to play.  It is very similar to all the other IJN Cruisers for playstyle.  I have had some great games with it as well.

I have both the Atago and Takao so... It isn't super high on my want list.  But if you do like the class already, it is a great purchase. (You could also try getting the Blatago in your free crates that WG is giving out and then go from there as well.)

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
656 posts
14,348 battles

Atago B definitely - that Black camo scheme is absolutely gorgeous

[WPP]
Members
614 posts
6,159 battles

Is "Wait a few weeks" an option?  We are coming up on the biggest sales part of the year and it seems like you may do better waiting a bit - hell, the regular Atago could be heavily discounted too.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
46 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I am probably going to pick up a premium ship tomorrow as a self birthday present and am considering two options.  One is the Atago Black as I've long (since highschool in the 1980s/90s) liked the look of the Takao class cruisers and it is cheaper, which makes it more tolerable to my budget.  That said, I am definitely not as good in IJN cruisers as I am in BBs.

The other option is the Vanguard/Dreadnought package.  The price is steeper, but I get two ships I am interested in.  Dreadnought because it is Dreadnought (19 knot speed be damned, grrrr.) and Vanguard because it seems to actually use AP.  I've long been a fan of British history, particularly the Royal Navy and Royal Airforce and so was very much looking forward to the British BBs, but then we got HE spamming dullness out of it.  The Hood is my favorite ship in the game for its flexibility and use of AP tactics and I understand that Vanguard joins Hood and Warspite as one of the few AP focused British BBs.  It is also fast, which is what draws me to Hood over Warspite.

In both cases I am at Tier VII in the tech tree for the IJN cruiser and RN BB lines.  I have a 19 point RN BB captain and a 19 point IJN BB captain in terms on Elite Commander EXP earning.

Thoughts?

I don’t have either ship, but tbh of the two it would be hard to go past the Atago B given it’s on sale. It is quite a solid ship that meshes well with the rest of the IJN line for captain training purposes; however, it is important to remember that it’s a cruiser so if misplayed slightly you can immediately die - particularly at high tiers. 

I wouldn’t go for the Vanguard pack given you’ll be able to earn the Dreadnought for free soon and I haven’t been scared of facing the Vanguard yet. 

Personally, I have got a lot of value out of the Tirpitz, which is also on sale. And plenty of people have raved about how much fun the Massachusetts is (Im thinking of getting her now too!), so I’d pick either of those as battleship options. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,368 posts
2,148 battles
4 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Is "Wait a few weeks" an option?  We are coming up on the biggest sales part of the year and it seems like you may do better waiting a bit - hell, the regular Atago could be heavily discounted too.

30% off is pretty good, and the Atago Black is only showing in the store for another 9 days.  Also, tomorrow is my 46th birthday, hence the self birthday gift idea. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,652 posts
18,478 battles
2 minutes ago, galspanic said:

The Black ships are already at a 30% discount over the normal price of those ships.  I doubt that you'd do much better than that for tier 8 premiums.  It's why I pulled the trigger on the Blasashio.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
6 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Also, tomorrow is my 46th birthday

Go for the Blatago, especially since you said that you've always been a fan of the Takao class design. The price can't be beat, and she's a damn good ship. Don't worry about not being a cruiser player, she'll teach you how to play them.

[PVE]
Members
10,786 posts
7,940 battles

Happy Birthday.

I really like Atago and Takao. I'm hoping for the Blatago and/or Black Mass in boxes.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,368 posts
2,148 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Happy Birthday.

I really like Atago and Takao. I'm hoping for the Blatago and/or Black Mass in boxes.

Thanks!

There is just something about that massive bridge structure that makes them look unlike any other WWII, or pre-WWII, ship and yet still look good.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,092 posts
12,044 battles

Don't get Vanguard, don't do it. 

Atago is solid for sure though, and the Black Edition looks really nice. Just be aware you cant get the 2500 dubs from the mission unless you also own the original. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,570 posts
13,580 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Thoughts?

If buying 2 ships anyways, consider the 24 crates for $89 - odds appear to be pretty good that you'll get at least 2-3 ships with some reportedly getting all 4 … plus lots of useful goods kind of pays for the cost of the purchase.

Otherwise wait a couple of weeks for X-mas crates … you should be able to get more than a few ships you'll enjoy for the money you intend to spend … 

Lastly, if you have the free xp - get the Nelson for your UK captain

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
9 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Just be aware you cant get the 2500 dubs from the mission unless you also own the original. 

^

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,570 posts
13,580 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

^

Do not - repeat do not buy the single ships or even the 4 pack - buy the crates and you'll roll for them np for same money … maybe less

Let us know how it works out :)

Edited by Commander_367

[RLGN]
Members
8,645 posts
17,894 battles
1 hour ago, A_Little_Warped said:

Atago, consistent with IJN cruiser play from T5 up, can use as a viable trainer for DD, CA, and BB skippers.  Arguably more comfortable to play at T10 then Ibuki.  Great ship.

I wish I believed this... Whatever it is in my makeup that keeps my strategic sense from being anything more than ‘occasionally useful by accident,’ also keeps me from making use of supposedly great ships like Atago...

300 games, 50% wr, survived 170, mbhr 28%, thr 4%...

Highest score; 147k, 5 sunk...

AVERAGE...

...an utterly pathetic 30k and .6 ships sunk per game.

Same as with all such popular ships; my inability to even pretend to get anything out of them is a source of EXTREME frustration.

3 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Do not - repeat do not buy the single ships or even the 4 pack - buy the crates and you'll roll for them np for same money … maybe less

Let us know how it works out :)

This... ^

Drew Mammie Black from the second black container I received...

...but then unlike with popular ships; I seem to do decently well with container draws.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,567 posts
13,172 battles
6 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Until RNG screws you over, and you get a ship you don't want, or even no ships.