You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xAnchobi

Pan-Asia...Why?

23 comments in this topic

[CROH]
Members
28 posts
282 battles

Okay, why is Pan-Asia a tech tree? I don't understand, it's just copy n paste DD's from other nations. There are prototype DD's and the Shenyang, that DD is just a Minekaze but with British guns, I think.  But that's the only reasons why I can see anyone spending their time going down this tree. Why do people play Pan-Asia?

not hating just questioning 

[-SYN-]
Members
22 posts
2,065 battles

Frankly, it is one of the most fun DD lines in the game.  You play several different styles of ships from different nations that exhibit different strengths.Yueyang is no longer the peach it was, but it's not horrible.

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
2 minutes ago, A_Little_Warped said:

Frankly, it is one of the most fun DD lines in the game.  You play several different styles of ships from different nations that exhibit different strengths.Yueyang is no longer the peach it was, but it's not horrible.

More in line with Howitzer.

I have Chengan, Anshan, and Lo Yang; don’t care to waste any time or resources on the others.

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
9 minutes ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

Okay, why is Pan-Asia a tech tree? I don't understand, it's just copy n paste DD's from other nations. There are prototype DD's and the Shenyang, that DD is just a Minekaze but with British guns, I think.  But that's the only reasons why I can see anyone spending their time going down this tree. Why do people play Pan-Asia?

The PA tech tree is a way to play to their customer base in China, Taiwan, and other south east Asian countries.  Let's face it.  Other than the Japanese, the major WoWS trees are either the USN or European countries.  And sure, the Japanese tree does play to their Asian customer base to some degree.  And yet at the same time, historically speaking (and not trying to dredge up hard feelings or any sort of debate), the other SE Asian countries aren't exactly great fans of Japan.  So, adding a SE  Asian tree that's not Japanese is a way to play to that non-Japanese SE Asian customer base.  So, I suppose one could call it good marketing.

• Cool 3

[STURM]
Members
318 posts
3,141 battles

I play it for the excellent smoke and deep-water torps. It doesn't hurt that the higher tiers are excellent gunboats as well.

Most people care more about the gameplay than how or where the ships were built, and of those that do, at least some of them must be interested in one or more of the nations represented by the line.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The PA tech tree is a way to play to their customer base in China, Taiwan, and other south east Asian countries.  Let's face it.  Other than the Japanese, the major WoWS trees are either the USN or European countries.  And sure, the Japanese tree does play to their Asian customer base to some degree.  And yet at the same time, historically speaking (and not trying to dredge up hard feelings or any sort of debate), the other SE Asian countries aren't exactly great fans of Japan.  So, adding a SE  Asian tree that's not Japanese is a way to play to that non-Japanese SE Asian customer base.  So, I suppose one could call it good marketing.

In addition to this, exactly because the ships are often copies, less modelling work is required, therefore it's also cheaper. Shenyang is a Minekaze with USN guns, Fushun is a Gnevny, Gadjah Mada has been used for Jervis, Haida and early versions of Cossack. Hsienyang is a Gleaves class that itself is a continuation of Benson. Chung Mu is a Fletcher and Yueyang a lowered Gearing.

So not only did as Crucis said  WG cater to SEA audience, they did so cheaper than  creating ship models from scratch.

Ingame they are quite enjoyable and have  relatively few average to bad ships as a line.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

I've been grinding up the Pan-Asian line and until tier V, I didn't really like what I saw. Now, part of this is due to the fact that I don't have any high-point Pan Asian captains, which would have helped. However, I still think Pan-Asian DDs up to tier V sort of "meh."

Then, I unlocked the Fushun. It's just Gnevny without the ability to torp DDs, I thought, that is until I played it. However, I found that it really is a good little ship. Think Gnevny with slower-rotating turrets and that can't torp DDs but with twice the torpedo range and better smoke and you will see that this ship is not just a clone but has decided improvements that help balance out it's slight detriments from the stock ship.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
2 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Gadjah Madha is unique and worth the grind to at least T7.

Right now, arguably, the Gadjah Madha and Chung Mu are the gems of the line.  

• Cool 2

[NJORD]
Members
45 posts
3,008 battles
42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This sums up why they are in the game. I am Canadian and I bought the Haida and play it because of National pride. Is it the best DD? Nope, but I bought it and have fun playing it even tho there are better DD's out there.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles

the only thing i got on the pan-asia line is the....deep water torps...cant hit the broadside of another DD ....:Smile_sceptic::Smile_facepalm: no matter how how much u try....yet they can kill you with torps...

note: when in one of these boats...use Guns on other DDs...

Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles
14 minutes ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

Because this is a game, and PA DDs are only "copy and paste" on a superficial level. They have access to different consumables and different torpedoes than other DDs, making them a more specialized tool for hunting enemy battleships, or at higher tiers for their ability to stealth radar.

PA DDs are actually not copy and paste- not like Boise and Nueve de Julio are. The Chung Mu is superficially a copy and paste Fletcher (it is a Fletcher), but the deep water torps and access to radar make it a different ship altogether. Same deal with Benson and Loyang, Gadjah Mada etc.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,117 posts
12,053 battles

It's really not that copy/paste. People that write them off like that are missing out. Its an excellent line with several absolute gems, shame they nerfed Yueyang so hard.  The t4 is amazingly fun, the t6 is very good (though frustratingly needs a different captain build than the rest of the line) The t7 and t9 are also great. Having radar at t9/10 is really fun.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles

I ranked out in the Jianwei in Ranked Sprint. It's a pretty fun ship once you figure out what it can and can't do.

I'm making the Pan Asian line my second 19 point commander grind after the USN destroyers because it's a powerful hybrid DD line with a couple of good Premiums.

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
17 minutes ago, vonluckner said:

Because this is a game, and PA DDs are only "copy and paste" on a superficial level. They have access to different consumables and different torpedoes than other DDs, making them a more specialized tool for hunting enemy battleships, or at higher tiers for their ability to stealth radar.

PA DDs are actually not copy and paste- not like Boise and Nueve de Julio are. The Chung Mu is superficially a copy and paste Fletcher (it is a Fletcher), but the deep water torps and access to radar make it a different ship altogether. Same deal with Benson and Loyang, Gadjah Mada etc.

Well, they are sort of copy and paste of the hull models, and sometimes the guns.  But the rest, not so much.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,922 posts
14,393 battles
1 hour ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Because Griddle-Asia didn't make sense.

They could have gone with Wok-Asia, because the line is a bit of a stir fry. 

:cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
10,113 posts
4,429 battles
8 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

They could have gone with Wok-Asia, because the line is a bit of a stir fry. 

:cap_cool:

Yea, I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over too well lol.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,176 posts
4,874 battles
10 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Shenyang is a Minekaze with USN guns, Fushun is a Gnevny, Gadjah Mada has been used for Jervis, Haida and early versions of Cossack. Hsienyang is a Gleaves class that itself is a continuation of Benson. Chung Mu is a Fletcher and Yueyang a lowered Gearing.

IIRC Yue Yang is an Allen M Sumner-class ship, a Gearing cousin. You missed Lo Yang, which literally IS the Benson (in her second life in Taiwanese service).

Jianwei is an interesting stand-out. Although she is nominally an experimental design offered to pre-WW2 China (but not accepted or built), her armament disposition and performance roughly match those of the British Broke-class destroyer leaders. So like the Gadjah Mada and Phra Ruang (ex-HMS Radiant), she is a deepwater version of a British destroyer. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC Yue Yang is an Allen M Sumner-class ship, a Gearing cousin. You missed Lo Yang, which literally IS the Benson (in her second life in Taiwanese service).

Jianwei is an interesting stand-out. Although she is nominally an experimental design offered to pre-WW2 China (but not accepted or built), her armament disposition and performance roughly match those of the British Broke-class destroyer leaders. So like the Gadjah Mada and Phra Ruang (ex-HMS Radiant), she is a deepwater version of a British destroyer. 

Eh, just wanted to make a point on the ease of modelling the ships thanks to already existing ones, not that much a historical comprehensive guide on their similarities and differences :Smile-_tongue:. Besides OP talked about the tech tree, otherwise we should also include Anshan, another Gnevny.

Members
1,106 posts

The tree is just marketing to the non-Japanese Asian player base.

The ships selected are clones because they represent purchases, gifts, and war prizes from the donor countries.

The nations represented in the game era actually had very, very few modern, capable ships of their own design and construction. Hence, the clones.

If you like the DWT DD style, go for it.