Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Redeye_Flight

Hypothetical Future CV Lines

4 comments in this topic

[BOATC]
Members
47 posts
6,670 battles

Paring down carrier lines to four ships per is definitely not popular, and I'm still not sure I agree with it. But it does make it more plausible to get more nations a carrier line--otherwise only Britain, Japan, and the US would have had enough classes (or enough ships full-stop) for a full seven-ship line.

With that in mind, I'm going to just idly start brainstorming some possibilities.

FRANCE

France is the easiest to put a line together, in my mind. There are four ships that fit chronologically and in escalating capability--Bearn, Joffre, Arromanches, and Clemenceau. All four would be lighter carriers in terms of loadout--possibly better suited to a supporting role?

GERMANY

Germany is difficult because the Graf Zeppelin is already present as a premium, precluding its use as the actual tier 8. There are viable contenders for a tier 4 and a tier 6, tier 4 being the unfinished 1915 conversion I and the tier 6 being the Seydlitz/Weser--the Europa conversion would also work at tier 6. 8 would have to be the Peter Strasser, and then 10 would have to be a hypothetical Graf Zeppelin upgrade, either Flugzeugtrager C or D. Lots of difficulties here.

COMMONWEALTH

This is a difficult one. Sir_Titmouse helpfully pointed out that at least two Bogues were transferred to the Canadian Navy, the Puncher and the Nabob. That'd work as a tier 4. There were also a number of Colossus and Majestic classes loaned out and sold that would work as 8s and 10s--the problem is the lack of a tier 6.

OTHERS

A bunch of lighter carriers did find their way around the world in the immediate post-war--the Netherlands picked up a Colossus and a Nairana light carrier, and Brazil and Argentina picked up three Colossus-classes and a Clemenceau between them. The Dutch also had two native tanker conversions, Gadila and Macoma, late-war. None of that is enough for a line, however, unless the Netherlands had a carrier design on file that I don't know about.  Could be some premiums in there, however.

That's about all I've got. There's definitely a French line possible now, however, which is kind of exciting. Certainly seeing the Bearn would be a treat. And we've got to get the Aquila eventually...

Edited by Redeye_Flight
Quick update to reflect that some of the Canadian carriers were sold, not just loaned.

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,638 posts
2,112 battles

The ideas have been bouncing around in a couple of threads now, to varying success.

France should be able to go up to 3, the issue is nothing exists that fits at tier X;

• Tier IV: Béarn (40 aircraft total, 27 operational)
  • Tier VI: Joffre (40 aircraft)
  • Tier VIII: Jean Bart conversion 1945 (54 aircraft)
  • Tier X: ????

Italy has decent options for all tiers;

• Tier IV: Sparviero (25-30 aircraft)
  • Tier VI: Bonfiglietti Project (42 aircraft designed, 50+ with 'modern' aircraft)
  • Tier VIII: Aquila (51 aircraft/66 w/folding wings)
  • Tier X: Impero conversion (70 aircraft, more if folding wing models)

Germany is in a similar situation with France, nothing for tier X;

• Tier IV: Jade (24 aircraft)
  • Tier VI: Europa (42 aircraft)
  • Tier VIII: Carrier 'B' (GZ sister, potentially to have been called Peter Strasser)

Other nations (Pan-America, Pan-Europe, Commonwealth) could potentially sport some premium carriers (lots of Colossus-class carriers!), but lines would be impossible.

[BOATC]
Members
47 posts
6,670 battles

You don't think the Clemenceau would fit? I suppose it is a little bit late compared to the bulk of the existing designs. Even compared to Jean Bart it's five years later.

[KSC]
Members
268 posts
4,087 battles
51 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

France should be able to go up to 3, the issue is nothing exists that fits at tier X;

• Tier IV: Béarn (40 aircraft total, 27 operational)
  • Tier VI: Joffre (40 aircraft)
  • Tier VIII: Jean Bart conversion 1945 (54 aircraft)

PA 59, named Verdun is also an option. A theoretical prop only version could be extrapolated, but there really is a dearth of designs in the late/immediate postwar, so Clemenceau/Foch and Verdun are the best you'll get.

Removed the bit about Verdun being an intermediary, I'm stupid.

Edited by HP_Lovesauce

Sign in to follow this