You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Gneisenau is giving me fits.....

16 comments in this topic

Members
268 posts
1,029 battles

I really enjoyed the Bayern and still have her in my port. Now when I move into T7 and started fighting T8-T9 ships I’m hitting a brick wall with this ship. I try to play to her strengths, which I feel is medium to close range fighting, but whenever I make a move with the team or with support close by I just get completely rekt by HE spamming ships (mainly the British BB line).

Does anybody have any tips on playing around the HE meta at higher tiers? 

p.s I’m running a 12pt captain on her right now with a secondary build in order (gonna place captain in Bismarck when I finally get it)

Edited by Legio_X_

[HINON]
Members
9,345 posts

Nibble around the edges until the enemy team is thinned out. Most players push in too early with her and get wrecked because of focus fire. Later in the game there arent as many people to spam you so you can tear it up. Using cover well is also important.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,589 posts
3,603 battles

The Gneisenau strength lies in her chasing down single ships and eliminating them with extreme prejudice. Problem is everyone knows this and generally keeps you at arms length.

Your goal early to mid game is to keep pressure on the enemy because no one wants to push against you by themselves. Then when the enemy gets thinned out, you push in and start hunting the enemy down one by one with your superior speed

[70]
Members
997 posts
4,110 battles

Secondary build? No, NO, NOT IN THE CURRENT ENVIRONMENT! You're going to get fried easily unless you have FIRE PREVENTION...

Make sure you have the main guns accuracy equipment. You need it to survive into the late game because you're a favourite for HE spammers, due to the rarity of FIRE PREVENTION on German BBs.

Members
698 posts
3,512 battles

Gneisenau is a good 1v1 ship as it has torpedo tubes that can give you the upper hand against other ships in a brawl. The secondaries and turtleback work too. The main batteries are the biggest problem, only six guns and they are very inaccurate, but they rotate fast and can still destroy cruisers and overmatch t7 battleships. Since it's a really fast ship, try changing the throttle every then and now and don't sail at full speed in the beginning to make sure you do not overextend.

[AAA]
Members
473 posts
5,930 battles
59 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Nibble around the edges until the enemy team is thinned out. Most players push in too early with her and get wrecked because of focus fire. Later in the game there arent as many people to spam you so you can tear it up. Using cover well is also important.

This. Start the game as a traditional bb. Stay back. Push the edges. Snipe although your results will be mixed at long range. Focus on the ships pushing. Mid to late game you can push and punish. I had a full secondary build to hit dds while my main guns worked bigger ships.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,291 posts
9,004 battles

Heh I really like the Gneisnau; I'd say her strength is that T7 MM is still generally pretty favorable, even if seemingly not as favorable as a few months ago. In a T7 match you can still push pretty aggressively even with only a little bit of "thinning" of the other team... just make sure not to push into a cross fire; try to find a flank. It helps that she is very fast and has very good AA too.

Kind of an old game, but I think still kind of shows the point:

Spoiler

Edited by pikohan

[MOH]
Members
301 posts
1,467 battles

Here's how to make the Gneisenau work:

1. Begin by playing the long game like any other BB.  It's hard 'cause it's only 6 guns, but you just have to make it work.
  2. As teams start to thin out, start looking for stragglers to engage in a 1-on-1.
  3. Once a straggler is found, get opportunistic and start closing distance to bring your secondaries and torpedoes to bear.
  4. Avoid situations where your straggler can call on the help of his buddies.

The Gneisenau is one of those ships that is super fast and really well armored, but you can't rely on any one type of its armament to be "reliable".  It's like coordinating and orchestra of unreliable parts to all come together and sound like music.  It's main battery is awful.  It's secondaries are amazing, but lack range.  And its torpedoes are decent (for a BB), but difficult to use.  But put 'em all together and you've got something fun.

Stick with it.  Bismarck is worth it.

Edited by Ranari

[13CLM]
Members
227 posts
1,360 battles

She is a battle cruiser, with big guns, but few tubes. I play mine as a cruise hunter till the red's thin out, they pick the stragglers BB's and go to town. 

[TCNNA]
Members
343 posts
12,070 battles

Bought, used, sold, bought again used a little, sold again. Cannot hit cruiser 5 km away broadside. Guns are too inaccurate and too few. Imho

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,280 battles

Sadly, this is par for the course in higher tier KM BBs.  They really need some sort of short-range accuracy buff.  Their accuracy is so bad that the French BBs are now far better brawlers, because they have decent secondaries AND they can actually hit stuff with their main guns.

Nice job breaking it, WG.

[ARRGG]
Members
39 posts
6,639 battles
On 11/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, Ranari said:

The Gneisenau is one of those ships that is super fast and really well armored, but you can't rely on any one type of its armament to be "reliable".  It's like coordinating and orchestra of unreliable parts to all come together and sound like music.  It's main battery is awful.  It's secondaries are amazing, but lack range.  And its torpedoes are decent (for a BB), but difficult to use.  But put 'em all together and you've got something fun.

Stick with it.  Bismarck is worth it.

My experience has been Gneisenau is worth it but the Bismark is not.  As bad as the guns are on Gnei, they are even worse on the Bismark.  Bismark guns  remind me of that Monty Python movie where they catapult cows, pigs, geese, and ducks from the top of the castle.  My mileage is probably varying I guess.

[MOH]
Members
301 posts
1,467 battles
2 minutes ago, MentalTossFlycoon said:

My experience has been Gneisenau is worth it but the Bismark is not.  As bad as the guns are on Gnei, they are even worse on the Bismark.  Bismark guns  remind me of that Monty Python movie where they catapult cows, pigs, geese, and ducks from the top of the castle.  My mileage is probably varying I guess.

I'm confused.  The [in-game] Gneisenau and Bismarck (and Tirpitz) use the exact same 380mm L/52 SK C/34  guns.  Except for the max range, everything about them - their performance, ballistics, penetration, etc - is 100% identical.  You just have more of them to work with on the Bismarck.  I just don't see how they can be worse given they're the exact same thing.

[-TD-]
Members
86 posts
718 battles

If you are high tier you pick on low tier battleships that don't have the speed or secondaries to compete with you.  Look for opportunities and if a lone battleship or cruiser comes along punish them. You use what you have (speed, secondaries, torpedos) to your advantage and with tier 7 matchmaking you should be the top tier more times than not. 

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_

Members
51 posts
848 battles

I've been playing Gneis exclusively the last few days.  The boat is a lot of fun, but man oh man the dispersion is awful.  So many overpens. So few citadels. Last night was uncharacteristically awful. I couldn't reliably hit cruisers at 6km.

Members
43 posts
2,192 battles
On 1/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, Ranari said:

I'm confused.  The [in-game] Gneisenau and Bismarck (and Tirpitz) use the exact same 380mm L/52 SK C/34  guns.  Except for the max range, everything about them - their performance, ballistics, penetration, etc - is 100% identical.  You just have more of them to work with on the Bismarck.  I just don't see how they can be worse given they're the exact same thing. 

I suspect the issue is more that a Bismarck pretty much lives in tier 10, whereas a Gneisanau at least has a chance at lower tiers. Also, those torpedoes can be real lifesavers when in a brawl.