You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

121 comments in this topic

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles

I remember back when it was 2004 , crap talking and general berating of the enemy team was welcomed, and spurred rivalry's and general good banter in just about any game i played, to include BF 1942. I remember taking the BAR and headshotting a guy from sniper range, then talking absolute unit amounts of crap about his terrible juking, proceed to get server wide lels, then went about our game. 

Now a days, if you call someone a poor player, and that ive seen better aim from a half blind baboon from your mothers room, they go on a 7 page stint of why im a bad person, and why they are the moral guardians of speech and love. Or, when I just absolutely wreck a guy through superior play, and then mention " GG WP no RE " I get a chat ban because 7 members of the enemy team get all butt-hurt and neg karma me.

Ive been chat banned more than 90% of my battles just due to the fact i love a good banter fueled by good play. 

What happened to competition and general haberdashery?

Is it a sign of the times, or softening of the game sphere?

Thoughts? 

EDIT: Posted further in the topic for newcomers.

But I am not a bully, Im a player that enjoys a high level of gameplay and I am frankly sick of landslides. Getting to the bottom of why games are always landslides with a general decline in gamer skill starts with this topic i believe, a lack of a true competitive atmosphere, a  desire to win and do well. The false positive reinforcement when you get destroyed in game isnt encouraging people to get better at the game, its doing the opposite. It encourages stagnant game play. 

EDIT 2: Please look at this subjectively with minimal personal attacks. It doesn't bother me, but im sure a moderator would and would close the topic. Im legitimately trying to create real discussion. Not just "DDs got buffed, Im pissed as a BB main" Posts that we commonly see. 

EDIT 3: I remember when the CRD channel on World of Tanks was the place for the banter. Now, its a dead zone. Thats the kinda banter and crap talking we need to get players to improve. Look at CRD from 2011-2013

Edited by French_DD_Hype
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 7

Members
1,928 posts
8,337 battles
1 minute ago, French_DD_Hype said:

I remember back when it was 2004 , crap talking and general berating of the enemy team was welcomed, and spurred rivalry's and general good banter in just about any game i played, to include BF 1942.

Now a days, if you call someone a poor player, and that ive seen better aim from a half blind baboon from your mothers room, they go on a 7 page stint of why im a bad person, and why they are the moral guardians of speech and love. Or, when I just absolutely wreck a guy through superior play, and then mention " GG WP no RE " I get a chat ban because 7 members of the enemy team get all butt-hurt and neg karma me.

Ive been chat banned more than 90% of my battles just due to the fact i love a good banter fueled by good play. 

Is it a sign of the times, or softening of the game sphere?

Thoughts? 

Snowflakes too easily offended. It's a new generation playing now. 

• Cool 10
  • Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles

Eh, you can have good natured banter with people that is all in fun but too many get carried away with it and go from fun to insult. The out of line salt in this game is REAL!

• Cool 3

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles

I mean look at the difference between these two roasts:

Lel, i didnt even need to switch to HE to penetrate your soul :) +1

Lel, i didnt even need to switch to HE to penetrate your soul    -10

I refuse to put a smiley face just to prevent a -1. It feels wrong and kinda anti fun. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,239 posts
11,685 battles

That is a lot to unpack. 

Smack talk in person is still a thing that can be fun but it is self regulating because you know your audience and get instant feedback on what is good or bad or too much etc...

Smack talk with anonymity on line often feels toxic. There is a gap in the communication loop that just can not be filled if you are not in person. So sign of the times, or softening of the game sphere? Yeah some of that for sure. 

• Funny 1

[WMD]
Members
825 posts
7,065 battles
6 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

I've been searching for a new haberdasher myself old chap, any recommendations?

Edited by VeatherVitch
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,239 posts
11,685 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

I've been searching for a new haberdasher myself old chap, and recommendations?

Play on a real field and enjoy excellent haberdashery. 

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles
2 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I've been searching for a new haberdasher myself old chap, any recommendations?

Ill hit you right in your gabba, i swear on me mum

• Funny 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,653 posts
12,953 battles

Im not totally sure myself either maybe something changed in the school system that made the new generation like this?

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles
1 minute ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Im not totally sure myself either maybe something changed in the school system that made the new generation like this?

So you too remember when Online gaming was a cruel unforgiving place where you either got your bants up to par, or you get absolutely wrecked and tilted. 

• Funny 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,653 posts
12,953 battles
10 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

So you too remember when Online gaming was a cruel unforgiving place where you either got your bants up to par, or you get absolutely wrecked and tilted. 

Yeah CoD and League of Legends online you fight with all your senses, these days I avoid it all together rather than get carried away and bring life threats or racism into it.

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles
2 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Perhaps after 2 decades of toxicity, people just got tired of hearing it all the time?

Just a thought.

Maybe i was raised different and enjoy friendly competition on all levels. 

No need for passive-aggressiveness just because you disagree, friend. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
Just now, French_DD_Hype said:

Maybe i was raised different and enjoy friendly competition on all levels. . 

There's nothing "friendly" about the kinds of things that are too often said and then fig-leafed with "oh I'm just talkin trash, dude".

• Cool 1

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

There's nothing "friendly" about the kinds of things that are too often said and then fig-leafed with "oh I'm just talkin trash, dude".

No offense, friend, have you taken banter to heart? Perhaps taken it too deeply into yourself? 

[WOLFA]
Members
639 posts
4,512 battles

Snowflakes and thin skinned cry babies are to blame.

If a team mate does something stupid like torping behind me or yolo rushing 4 tier X BB's I'm gonna call them on it.

I have numerous chat bans to prove it.

Edited by CorradoG60
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

There's  banter and there's toxic banter. Not many people can get sarcasm or poking fun through a screen, and quite a few don't have English as their mother tongue, so things can often be misunderstood.

Personally I am too busy and focused trying to sink every red  in range to respond to banter other than at the start of the battle or the eventual cleanup...

Edited by warheart1992

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles

I take my banter seriously, im well versed at both chatting and gaming at the same time in dds. 

Its to the point that if i stop chatting, maybe id hit 60% overall finally. 

• Boring 1

Members
1,024 posts
4,226 battles
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

I was gaming online before 2004 and that kind of behavior was decidedly frowned upon back then...

What games did you play? The sims with the profanity filter on? Ive even seen this kinda banter in runescape, of all games. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,433 posts

Well, when I was growing up ... wait, is this where we talk about walking two miles to school in the snow, uphill, both ways? :Smile_veryhappy:

Back to topic, good ole 'ribbing' used to be face to face and was easier to tell from insults.  The internet and society changed that unfortunately.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
42 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Eh, you can have good natured banter with people that is all in fun but too many get carried away with it and go from fun to insult. The out of line salt in this game is REAL!

5 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Well, when I was growing up ... wait, is this where we talk about walking two miles to school in the snow, uphill, both ways? :Smile_veryhappy:

Back to topic, good ole 'ribbing' used to be face to face and was easier to tell from insults.  The internet and society changed that unfortunately.

Good natured banter is good for the game and as long as it stays well away from personal insults it is fine. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles
21 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

Maybe i was raised different and enjoy friendly competition on all levels. 

No need for passive-aggressiveness just because you disagree, friend. 

Well, you were raised different than I was if you think insulting the opponent is fun and friendly competition?

I was raised to have respect for my opponent and to be a good sport be it victory or defeat.

You can joke around and insult friends and people you know well but to do so with those you don't know is odd to me.  

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 7