You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Why do the British cruisers not have HE shells?

59 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
1,090 battles

Is there a specific reason as to why the British cruiser line doesn't have high explosive shells in the game? Historically, I'm pretty sure that every navy carried both high explosive and armor piercing shells on all of their ships, but maybe I'm wrong.

[SPTR]
Members
3,497 posts
5,925 battles

In the first few iterations of the super-test, British cruisers did have HE shells. Then they realized that the combination of having smoke generators, low detection, fast rate of fire and potent HE shells at the same time is quite cancerous to fight against...

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles

because they are afraid of being "Detonated" :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Shinnidan

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,844 posts
4,814 battles

The all AP playstyle is certainly an acquired taste. If the RN CAs are also gimmicked to crap by WG and have no HE, then I will be very unhappy.

Members
1,141 posts
7,098 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The all AP playstyle is certainly an acquired taste. If the RN CAs are also gimmicked to crap by WG and have no HE, then I will be very unhappy.

The Brit CAs are going to be interesting, b/c many of them only had 6 guns. Will need some kind of gimmick to make them workable. 

[SYN]
Members
14,624 posts
10,955 battles

Because IRL RN didn't have separate AP and HE shells for their cruisers.

They used CPBC/SAPBC shells.

• Cool 2

Members
1,106 posts
7 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

The Brit CAs are going to be interesting, b/c many of them only had 6 guns. Will need some kind of gimmick to make them workable. 

Aoba and Furry Taco do OK..but just...with six guns.

York and Exeter were the only  RN 6-gun 8" cruisers. The Hawkins class had 7 x 7.5" and the Kents were all built with 8 guns. Some lost X Turret to added AA mid-war.

Edited by So_lt_Goes

Members
1,141 posts
7,098 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Aoba and Furry Taco do OK..but just...with six guns.

They also have HE and the excellent IJN torps. 

Modder
1,114 posts
16 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

In the first few iterations of the super-test, British cruisers did have HE shells. Then they realized that the combination of having smoke generators, low detection, fast rate of fire and potent HE shells at the same time is quite cancerous to fight against...

And that's how we ended up with Kitakaze and Harugumo.

3 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Yes they did, they had both CPBC and HE for shore bombardment.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,844 posts
4,814 battles
4 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

IRL Akizuki's 100mm Type 98 also didn't have AP shells and used HE only, and yet in WoWs it does have AP. The historical accuracy card has no weight as far as Wargaming is concerned.

Members
1,141 posts
7,098 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

IRL Akizuki's 100mm Type 98 also didn't have AP shells and used HE only, and yet in WoWs it does have AP. The historical accuracy card has no weight as far as Wargaming is concerned.

Arcade, not sim. 

Modder, Beta Testers
1,546 posts
2,625 battles

Senior nonComs in the Andrew's light cruiser force had an illicit scheme of smuggling blackmarket Tea across the Empire by replacing the powder in the HE shells with the aforementioned leaves.  Obviously when The Jimmy realized what they were doing in addition to making them hollystone the deck till there fingers fell off he threw all the HE rounds overboard and declared they would need to kill everything in WoWs with no DOT damage.

• Funny 4

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
12 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

The Royal Navy seemed to stop believing in Heavy Cruisers altogether.  Their last CA design was the York-class, both laid down in 1927 and 1928.  Hell, the total history of RN CA classes are as follows:

Hawkins-class of 1916

County-class of 1924

York-class of 1927

An RN CA split will be tons of paper ships to fill the CA side of the house.  But then again, the German CA Line are almost all paper...

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,466 posts
6,804 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

An RN CA split will be tons of paper ships to fill the CA side of the house.  But then again, the German CA Line are almost all paper...

Eh, only Yorck is technically speaking a paper ship.

Roon and Hindenburg are not paper. They are straight out fiction. Ship designs that WG made up to have viable T9s and T10s, given the competition.

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,189 posts
12,189 battles

cuz supertest results show smoke+HE to be brokenly powerful, but WG doesnt want to remove smoke from RN cruiser

so they only have AP

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
7 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Eh, only Yorck is technically speaking a paper ship.

Roon and Hindenburg are not paper. They are straight out fiction. Ship designs that WG made up to have viable T9s and T10s, given the competition.

I stand corrected, it's worse than I originally stated :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
46 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

This was my understanding too.

However, WG’s appetite for cancerous play changed with Wooster and Harugumo, which makes me suspect that if RN CLs were introduced today they would have HE.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,338 posts
2,050 battles

Because if you go aboard the Belfast, you won't find any HE. Trust me, I tried it. SAPC for days, not a single round of 152mm HE to be found!

ozqcNsJ.jpg

[CIAO]
Members
34 posts
3,495 battles

The HE-smoke combo seems to be rather problematic. To my knowledge there are only 6 cruisers in the game that have this combo and 4 of them are either difficult to get or has been indefinitely removed (please correct any omissions):

• Iwaki Alpha, exclusive promotional ship given as a reward for some alpha and beta testers
  • Kutuzov, premium shop, deemed OP and removed indefinitely
  • Belfast, premium shop, deemed OP and removed indefinitely
  • Flint, previously a reward ship for top ranked players and now sold for steel. Many consider it OP, but others disagree citing her low range, poor armor, and reliance on captain skills. Read the LittleWhiteMouse review for a thorough evaluation
  • Edit: Also Perth and Huanghe. Pointed out by SireneRacker and Kyralee. 

Other than the above, the closest ship to an HE-smoke cruiser is the IJN destroyer Harugumo, which I wouldn't be surprised to see nerfed any time soon. In fact the developers sort of hinted at that in the most recent Waterline episode when they discussed the IJN DD buffs.

Edited by Baritone4
Correction

Members
4,011 posts
14,850 battles

Look at the bright side of RN CLs only having AP ; (except Belfast) It eliminates the need to decide what type of ammo to use. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,466 posts
6,804 battles
6 minutes ago, Baritone4 said:

The HE-smoke combo seems to be rather problematic. To my knowledge there are only 4 cruisers in the game that have this combo and each is either difficult to get or has been indefinitely removed (please correct any omissions):

• Iwaki Alpha, exclusive promotional ship given as a reward for some alpha and beta testers
  • Kutuzov, premium shop, deemed OP and removed indefinitely
  • Belfast, premium shop, deemed OP and removed indefinitely
  • Flint, previously a reward ship for top ranked players and now sold for steel. Many consider it OP, but others disagree citing her low range, poor armor, and reliance on captain skills. Read the LittleWhiteMouse review for a thorough evaluation

Other than the above, the closest ship to an HE-smoke cruiser is the IJN destroyer Harugumo, which I wouldn't be surprised to see nerfed any time soon. In fact the developers sort of hinted at that in the most recent Waterline episode when they discussed the IJN DD buffs.

Perth also has that combo, but she is so meh in all the other areas it‘s not much of an issue. Hell, even the smoke itself is more of a Jaws-meme, not really that effective.