You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Increasing the punishment time for AFK players

117 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles

I have been playing this game since closed beta, over three years and over 5000 battles and I have had ZERO AFK games. Granted this post come out of frustration and I am venting but I am so sick of AFK players. I had a match in my Massachusetts last night and OF COURSE it was only two tier eights in a battle of tier nines and tens and one of our two tier ten battleships is AFK. It was a very close match but we lost because of the AFK player.

I think that if you are AFK for a SINGLE match you are banished to coop for a week. A second offense and you are banished to coop for a month. 

As an alternate punishment 25% of your credits are taken from you and equally distributed to the 11 players on your team that you screwed over. A second offense 25% of your credits and 25% of your doubloons are taken and distributed. 

Until you make the punishment strong enough people going AFK and screwing their teammates will keep happening.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 26
  • Angry 1

[SVF]
Members
989 posts
1,362 battles
4 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

25% of your doubloons are taken and distributed. 

Given that most doubloons are purchased with money in some form or another, this is theft.  Hell no.

• Cool 7

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

a week seems a bit harsh for a power outage

Pfft.....I have had power cut off and on and I was able to get back into the game and contribute. 

• Angry 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,149 posts
13,552 battles

If you want stronger punishment then report every incident in a support ticket rules violation/rigged battle. I do! I also demand WG post on the website at least weekly how many rule violators have been punished, what the violations were  and what the punishments were!

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,893 posts
11,552 battles

if your afk 3 times in a 24hr period you should be locked to co op for 3 days, if you do it again 5 days and so on

• Cool 4

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles
1 minute ago, landcollector said:

Given that most doubloons are purchased with money in some form or another, this is theft.  Hell no.

That is not theft, that is a fine!

• Bad 7

[DAY]
Members
1,189 posts
12,200 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Pfft.....I have had power cut off and on and I was able to get back into the game and contribute. 

my router takes ~5min to start up....

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
357 posts
4,847 battles
11 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think that if you are AFK for a SINGLE match you are banished to coop for a week. A second offense and you are banished to coop for a month

No thanks. I empathize with the afk's lately.  I've had the client outright crash while loading games, yet still show its loading.  I've also had crashes when the game begins.  these are systemic crashes where the whole system needs a reboot. I usually take 6-8 minutes to return to the match. By then..... I'm just barely participating on the remainder of the battle. 

Sometimes is the client. Sometimes it's an emergency. And sometimes someone is being [edited]. But you have to remember this is always a game. 

Also, the earning are nearly 0 if your truly afk.  So there is no farming incentives for players to hit play and walk away. This leads me to believe that most afk cases fit non malicious reasons. 

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

Members
4,680 posts
6,861 battles
5 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

O really?  That's nice.  What if power goes for off for like 15 min?  1 hour?  All day? So you say you lost power but it was so brief that you were actually able to get back in game. Power loss for more than the time of a match is NOT unusual. Geeze. Think man!  It happens. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,112 posts
6 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

my router takes ~5min to start up....

I'm generally sympathetic to folks who suffer the occasional natural disaster/act of God/sick kid.

I do believe, however, that it is unfair to the community to play on sub-standard equipment and connections.

There are plenty of games that are more forgiving of boat-anchor hardware and can-and-string ISP's.

This isn't one of them.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 3

Members
2,360 posts
1,065 battles
11 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

if your afk 3 times in a 24hr period you should be locked to co op for 3 days, if you do it again 5 days and so on

Of course then they come down and be AKF in co-op.

I had one in back to back games in different ships (must of been a repeated connection problem).

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
413 posts
10,304 battles

Last week I clicked battle and then the power went out in the neighbourhood for minute. 

By the time the lights come back on and I check the fuse box, ensure the various electrical appliances in the house have rebooted and are working in a safe manner, I get back to an online game and find the match was over and I was pink for three games.

This is enough punishment for something that was outside my control.  

Real life comes before online leisure activities.  

• Cool 4

[TBOW]
Members
1,342 posts
10,981 battles

I got news for you people, this game has issues.  I have 1 year old Alienware laptop with 16 GB ram a 1060 GPU with 6gb of ram on it and the damn game locks up and it isn't the Internet Connection.  The damn client has issues.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
357 posts
4,847 battles
1 minute ago, GrimmeReaper said:

I got news for you people, this game has issues.  I have 1 year old Alienware laptop with 16 GB ram a 1060 GPU with 6gb of ram on it and the damn game locks up and it isn't the Internet Connection.  The damn client has issues.

^this

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
269 posts
1,116 battles
22 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think that if you are AFK for a SINGLE match you are banished to coop for a week. A second offense and you are banished to coop for a month.

And who determines if you are AFK?  The guy who reports you for not playing they way he wanted you to?

• Cool 3

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
138 posts
23,006 battles

I have people in my clan with wireless connections, lousy ISP's, older computers and some have less than stellar technical knowledge. I have other members who work in IT for a living, have computers costing as much as a car and blazing high speed connections. Yet every one of us has had this game dump us out of a battles, fail to load us into a fight, or flash up the dreaded "Critical Error" message before closing the client. There is no such thing as perfect software, and we all know this game is far from perfect. This is in addition such events as power failures, thunderstorms, car accidents knocking down a pole and taking your internet with it. Add in all the emergencies that real life can throw at you, from a child getting hurt or sick to a wife that is having a a bad day.

The number of players going AFK because they don't like the lineup at the start of the match is very, very small. Chill man

• Cool 2

Members
177 posts
3,146 battles

Might as well punish the BB sitting at the back behind an island not contributing, or the DDs/CLs/CAs who go all suicide mode at the start of the game.  Hey let's get the guys who sail around the edge of the map every game, they deserve punishment too.  And lets not forget the guy who launch torps from behind teammates.

Just insert your favorite potato play here and we'll punish that too.

• Funny 1

[OO7]
Members
3,311 posts
9,774 battles
31 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I have been playing this game since closed beta, over three years and over 5000 battles and I have had ZERO AFK games. Granted this post come out of frustration and I am venting but I am so sick of AFK players. I had a match in my Massachusetts last night and OF COURSE it was only two tier eights in a battle of tier nines and tens and one of our two tier ten battleships is AFK. It was a very close match but we lost because of the AFK player.

As an alternate punishment 25% of your credits are taken from you and equally distributed to the 11 players on your team that you screwed over. A second offense 25% of your credits and 25% of your doubloons are taken and distributed. 

Until you make the punishment strong enough people going AFK and screwing their teammates will keep happening.

You mad bro? 

Excuse me for ditching games mid way through because dispatch is phoning or texting me to respond to fire or ambulance calls that I am on call for every single hour of every single day that I am in my home town.

But because it upsets you, I should just let people lose lives, livelihood and property. 

• Cool 5

Members
4,680 posts
6,861 battles

I highly suspect that if OP were banned for a WEEK for going AFK ONCE, a single match, due to circumstances beyond his control he would not be so haughty bout this in the future. He says he has never been AFK for the whole time in one single match.  He is just very very lucky IMO.:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 2

[FACT]
Members
402 posts
3,940 battles
23 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

So due to circumstances beyond my control, like a few of the games I had where everyone would load in, except for me, and I could sit there hearing all the gun fire and seeing the players die, while still sitting on the load-in screen. I'd have to do a forced PC shutdown, restart, and then log back into the game to see if I could finally make it in the battle (hoping I wouldn't get penalized for dropping a match before dying).

YOU want to "take" 84 million credits I earned to "hand out" to 11 other players.You want to penalize me for that!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :cap_haloween:

Then if the same thing happens again, YOU again want to "take" an additional 63 million credits I earned, along with 38,000 doubloons I acquired via various purchases, and "hand out" those as well.

There is not even a MEME out there to even begin to describe how silly that sounds (sorry Code of Con. prevents me from using much better words). First world problems.

If an AFK player is the most challenging thing you have to face over the course of your day, you're getting off pretty freaking easy. Hang in there, life gets harder than just gaming. :Smile_child:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
138 posts
23,006 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I highly suspect that if OP were banned for a WEEK for going AFK ONCE, a single match, due to circumstances beyond his control he would not be so haughty bout this in the future. He says he has never been AFK for the whole time in one single match.  He is just lucky IMO.:Smile_sceptic:

Or just forgot.

Not all of us are spring chickens you know

[R-F]
Members
838 posts
6,710 battles

Anyone else believe that in 5,000 battles, OP has never had an outage, or a internet dropout, or a game crash, or a pet barfing on the carpet?  Didn't think so.

I once had a city-wide power outage hit right before Clan Battles.  I could still talk to people via the discord app on my phone through the cell signal.  They sat, one person short, for two hours before somebody else showed.  That suuuuuuuuucked.

Members
4,680 posts
6,861 battles
3 minutes ago, mushmouthmorton said:

Or just forgot.

Not all of us are spring chickens you know

I am 69 but I just consider myself a "late" spring chicken!  Heh. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2