BarronRichthofen

Duke of York Still needs some love

15 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
335 posts
13,982 battles

So some of us have the DOY and those of you that do not, don't sweat it Nelson is far better for the Tier.  She needs some love WG, the extra AA, Preimum Status, 1 sec rudder shift, and Single Hydro don't even come close to compensating for the added 4.5 sec reload, 2 fewer Repair party's and loss of all aircraft. I realize she was basically a freebie but Damn WG way to neuter a ship. 

You do not have to do much to make her a viable ship compared to the KGV. Give her 2 more Hydro's and at least 1 more Repair party. She would then be Different but compareable to the KGV. As she is yeah she has the Premimum Status but thats her ONLY advantage. Carriers are still not used much so the AA is a moot point, 1 Hydro (2 with prem consumable) is all but useless, and 1 sec to rudder shift is all but un-noticable.  The 2 fewer Repair party's gives her fewer than any other Tier VII BB. If she had Nelson's Repair then yeah only 2 (3 with prem) would make her compettive. But as she is she repairs less with her 2 repairs than a single Nelson repair.

If you ever plan on selling the DOY instead of giving it out as a mission reward you'll have to do something with her. As she is I would not buy it EVER ! 

• Cool 5

Members
111 posts
16,780 battles

My DoY was gathering rust in port because it was submerged way too often in random battles. Didn't help the situation that I had a new, low point captain. I relegated it to co-op battles only and left it alone. Last night I took it out of mothballs and won 5 for 5 (in co-op).

[-GPS-]
Members
110 posts
5,959 battles
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, BarronRichthofen said:

So some of us have the DOY and those of you that do not, don't sweat it Nelson is far better for the Tier.  She needs some love WG, the extra AA, Preimum Status, 1 sec rudder shift, and Single Hydro don't even come close to compensating for the added 4.5 sec reload, 2 fewer Repair party's and loss of all aircraft. I realize she was basically a freebie but Damn WG way to neuter a ship. 

You do not have to do much to make her a viable ship compared to the KGV. Give her 2 more Hydro's and at least 1 more Repair party. She would then be Different but compareable to the KGV. As she is yeah she has the Premimum Status but thats her ONLY advantage. Carriers are still not used much so the AA is a moot point, 1 Hydro (2 with prem consumable) is all but useless, and 1 sec to rudder shift is all but un-noticable.  The 2 fewer Repair party's gives her fewer than any other Tier VII BB. If she had Nelson's Repair then yeah only 2 (3 with prem) would make her compettive. But as she is she repairs less with her 2 repairs than a single Nelson repair.

If you ever plan on selling the DOY instead of giving it out as a mission reward you'll have to do something with her. As she is I would not buy it EVER ! 

I never understood the MUCH slower reload either. Especially with no compensation to accuracy and no super heal.:cap_wander:

I want to love this ship and I even grinded the arctic camo, but she's terrible. And I agree the Nelson is much better, just a few games in her and there is no reason to play DOY anymore until she gets some buffs.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,677 posts
3,603 battles

She does get improved bounce angles on her AP which makes she very good at nuking cruisers and taking large chunks of HP off of BBs

Beta Testers
24 posts
2,987 battles

I think DoY could still be alright with 28 second reload. And give healpacks improved healing capabilities(between that of current one and high tier ones)

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

Dork of York is garbage, even certain contributors have admitted it. One of the few ships i regret buying; i hang onto it in the hopes it will get buffed.

[RKLES]
Members
9,034 posts
10,841 battles

Duke of York still is a fine ship both with her real world history and how she performs in game. Some of us have noticed the ship seems to have slightly better performing AP shells compared to those on the KGV which can sometimes make up for the reload difference between the two ships. Much in the same same as the Warpite’s AP shells are said to be better than those on the QE.

And I must say the Hydro has been a life saver so many times, allowing me to evade torpedoes that I would otherwise have take some hits from. Granted the price of that is that I must run premium Consumables, but it’s worth it. Any time as I so much as suspect a DD might be interested or nearby I can switch the Hydro on. Also good for storming smoke since once I evade the Torps, I can then hydro the DD and sink it. 

[ANKER]
Members
240 posts
4,663 battles

The better angles on the Duke's AP are noticeable and helpful, but I wouldn't consider it a significant strength. The Hydro is useful at times, but is so short lived and such a random consumable to have for the ship. It cannot do CQB well because of the lacking turret angles on the rear which has almost half your firepower, lacking RoF because of nerfed reload, worse rudder shift, and the hydro is comparatively weak. I'd happily trade off the hydro to get back the heals I'm missing, or get the reload back down to 25s. Hell, give the DoY Defensive Fire instead of Hydro so it can capitalize on the AA strength is this current meta where CVs are rather dominant. 
Hell, nerf the concealment instead so that a full concealment build is closer to 14km and give it back reload/heal. DoY is a noticeably different ship from KGV but is unimaginatively designed and balanced. I still believe it's stronger tier-for-tier than Dunkerque, but that's hardly an achievement. Hydro has been useful at times, but it's never going to be as useful as the hydros that Bismarck+ have simply due to the balance of the ship. Everything about the Bismarck can tie into her hydro well, but DoY screams to be used at a medium range flinging HE and occasional AP when broadsides are shown. I have Dev Struck a NY in the Duke, even a Nelson too. But those aren't achievements really. 
I have Nelson, it's a much better ship overall and is both unique and strong tier-for-tier. 
Hood now too is better because Speed, armor, and guns that have a higher sigma now, and higher caliber for overmatch + DFAA and higher HP. 
I suspect WG is reluctant to rebalance DoY though since she was a free ship for most and statistically, according to wows-numbers is quite average in the middle of the pack. 
But she is the third least-played ship, just ahead of the Hood and Ashitaka in total battles. Nelson and KGV have the highest average damage however, and Scharnhorst has more battles played than Nelson, KGV, and DoY combined. TL;DR, Duke of York is a playable and workable ship for sure, but she isn't enjoyable as I know that anything I have done in DoY could have been done with Nelson, or Colorado, or Nagato just as easily really besides HE spam. But then, those compensate by doing AP (What BB are supposed to do) far far far better. Overmatch is far more useable than bonus bounce angles and by nerfing DoY's reload her HE spam capability is reduced and her AP capability is weak both penetration wise and overmatch wise for her tier. Yes she can perform against cruisers....but her accuracy hurts that. At 15km a Colorado and Nagato are better at slapping CA/CL than DoY. 
Make DoY enjoyable to play again. Always feels like you're constantly having to work around her shortcomings instead of capitalizing on her strengths. 

[-TNT-]
Members
727 posts
10,910 battles

Duke of York is only used in Co-op period. She's lacking in to many areas mentioned above. WG make this British battleship fun to play please.  I would add that her 3rd consumable slot have more selections to choose from.  I recommend fighter or defensive AA fire.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.