You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Control Tuesday - Steps to Victory

13 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,357 posts
7,707 battles

File:Japanese aircraft attacking HMCS UGANDA 3191649.jpg

*pictured - HMCS Uganda engaging a Japanese aircraft off the Ryukyu Islands on April 4, 1945*

When entering a Random Battle, Domination Mode, what is your first course of action towards a victory?

Often times, the first course of action is to secure one of the objectives and start earning points.

Other tactics include finding and destroying the enemy destroyer(s), getting the "First Blood" on your team, or eliminating enemy aircraft squadrons to get control of the skies.

Random Battle, Domination Mode, what tactics/strategy help you stay on course towards victory?

"First gain the victory and then make the best use of it you can." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#tacticalcontroltuesday

#anchorsaweigh

[FGNE]
Members
627 posts
3,203 battles

My first action is before battle starts.

A quick review of both the enemy and friendly forces:

- Ships

- Clans

- Usernames

“Know your enemy”

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,642 posts
15,145 battles

Never rush the cap. Instead, get someplace where you can pound the @$^@#$%^ out of the sucker in the red ship who does.

• Cool 1

[187]
Members
1,588 posts
8,676 battles

I want to thank Gneisenau013  for always creating such great posts. They are a breath of fresh air.

I know sometimes people believe that not "Rushing" in is generally good advice. This game plays pretty much like a chess game, in my opinion,  in that whoever controls the center of the board will have victory. Many MANY times teams are too timid. Without seeing anyone I like to hit flank speed towards my chosen starting place and see how things develop....many times just reaching the "Sweet" spots first will cause other more "Cautious" ships to flip a 180 which is exactly what is wanted. 

When in doubt ATTACK - Patton    

Many times just putting up a good show will cause enemies to retreat and your allies to advance. 

NO FEAR

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
474 posts
14,967 battles

Pick a division and run with it. The rest is up to MM and RNGesus.

No amount of planning will stop your team from ignoring directions, going full broadside, and complaining that you were "not supporting" them when they die within 2 minutes of the start.

Edited by AbyssAngkor
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,566 posts
19,018 battles
27 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

Usernames

The only user name that would ping is someone I see here on the forum or has a WG-CC tag next to their name.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,754 posts
8,946 battles
37 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

When entering a Random Battle, Domination Mode, what is your first course of action towards a victory?

sink stuff.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,642 posts
15,145 battles
54 minutes ago, C_D said:

whoever controls the center of the board will have victory.

Control of the board is important. However, unlike in chess, your ability to project power is based on your weapons, and your weapons only face one direction. Physically sitting in the middle means you are vulnerable from all sides but can still only shoot back in one. Tactically, it's actually the worst place to be. Instead, the way to control the board in WoWS is to threaten as much space as you can with your weapons, while leaving as little room for reprisal as possible. This usually means the outsides of the map or the corners of islands, but advanced players will have enough map knowledge to also utilize firing corridors that go between islands in channels, over islands, etc.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
919 posts
14,166 battles

Great question. Depends on what ship class, but in general: 

- Check enemy roster (identify and assess risks, early and late)
- Check friendly roster (identify potential support)
- Check the ships near my spawn point (assess potential support)
- Push ahead, making use of cover where possible for approach and, if necessary, retreat
- Use islands to reduce potential incoming fire while leaving me a lane to fire/torpedo enemy approach

I think it is pretty complex, honestly. It looks like people just push up and blast away, or sit back and snipe, but I believe for many players there are a lot of variables, constantly shifting, that are being considered.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
718 posts
8,256 battles

As a DD Main

• Fill tumbler with liquid courage
  • Check out Red DD's
  • Check out radar ships
  • Check out names
  • Check out Clans
  • Rush to Cap and spot
  • Train weapons to one side based on Cap escape plan
  • Ignore demands by BB's sitting in spon 
  • Ask eager beaver cruiser if it might be best if i look around island first 
  • Check tumbler / ice status
  • Play it by ear from there
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
3,251 posts
21,599 battles
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Edgecase said:

Physically sitting in the middle means you are vulnerable from all sides but can still only shoot back in one. Tactically, it's actually the worst place to be.

Exception: Properly played stealth DDs w/good detection...ones that never fire their guns but spot the reds & let their team take them out while aiming their torps at reds...& I can't stress this enough...W/OUT firing their guns (or even arming them) right after firing their torps at said reds to let them know the torps are on the way. BTW...properly played also means not diving straight into the middle until all radar has been spotted & either neutralized or kept at a safe distance...but after that has been achieved the center is the best spot to spot the most amount of reds ships & provides the most amount of target options for torps.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, CO_Valle said:

My first action is before battle starts.

A quick review of both the enemy and friendly forces:

- Ships

- Clans

- Usernames

“Know your enemy”

Checking stats (Edit: I'm talking about ship stats here not player stats)...can only be done before battle starts...(something I used to do but have been slacking on for quite awhile) to determine which ships are upgraded or not or which of the variable builds they have (especially helpful for stealth DDs to determine other DDs detections but was also very helpful in determining which torp options certain DDs had equipped) is a very helpful habit...but requires lots of practice as each of your ships have different stats to compare to (& every time you upgrade anything on any ship it of course changes the comparison numbers) & unless you run same ship all the time can get quite confusing...which is why I stopped...got too distracting. But can be a valuable tool if mastered.

I used to use it when all I ran was DDs a lot just to compare detection ranges but stopped after concentrating on cruisers for a long time & never got back into it after switching back to a lot of DD play...now just assume everybody is maxed out & run accordingly.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[FGNE]
Members
627 posts
3,203 battles
3 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The only user name that would ping is someone I see here on the forum or has a WG-CC tag next to their name.

Play enough matches and you might recognize people you can rely on ... or not... specially useful in ranked.

1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Checking stats...can only be done before battle starts...(something I used to do but have been slacking on for quite awhile) to determine which ships are upgraded or not or which of the variable builds they have (especially helpful for stealth DDs to determine other DDs detections but was also very helpful in determining which torp options certain DDs had equipped) is a very helpful habit...but requires lots of practice as each of your ships have different stats to compare to (& every time you upgrade anything on any ship it of course changes the comparison numbers) & unless you run same ship all the time can get quite confusing...which is why I stopped...got too distracting. But can be a valuable tool if mastered.

I used to use it when all I ran was DDs a lot just to compare detection ranges but stopped after concentrating on cruisers for a long time & never got back into it after switching back to a lot of DD play...now just assume everybody is maxed out & run accordingly.

Nah, I don’t check stats, but eventually I recognize someone I have played with or a well known player. You can get an idea of what to expect from them.... or to see if Fem is in a CV.

[PVE]
Members
3,251 posts
21,599 battles
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, CO_Valle said:

Play enough matches and you might recognize people you can rely on ... or not... specially useful in ranked.

Nah, I don’t check stats, but eventually I recognize someone I have played with or a well known player. You can get an idea of what to expect from them.... or to see if Fem is in a CV.

Thanx for reply...I've edited my post to stop others from possibly confusing what I meant...

I was referring to ship stats not players stats. Before battle you can compare your ship stats to others to get an idea of how their ships are set up...such as whether their hull is upgraded or what torp options DDs are using...etc. Certain upgrades change the ships stats(Survivability/torpedoes/maneuverability/etc.). those stats are comparable to your ships stats before you enter battle.

• Cool 1