You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

WG can you stop fixing stuff that ain't broken?

11 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
336 posts
14,385 battles

So I was just on Land of Fire Pushing south along the  7 line about to clean the clock of a Fiji in my Nelson When a Richelu Cleans my clock from the west thanks to the gap you all placed in the Islands there. I'm all for NEW maps but the constant reworking of old maps is getting tiresome.  If you want to change things up a little give us NEW maps not reworks of maps that were fine and had no Issues. It's a waste of your map makers time IMO. New maps YES,  rework of old NO. not just no but hell no. Why fix things that are not Broken? A waste of time, money, and resources plain and simple.

Have you not heard the age old addage "If it ani't broke don't fix it"?  Would your replace the engine in a Bugatti Veyron just because it reached 25,000 miles? Hell no you wouldn't it would cost too much money. The same goes for things like a rework of a map AFAIK had no complaints even. Stop fixing stuff that ain't broken.

• Cool 2

[N-W-T]
Members
1,629 posts
6,722 battles

Land of fire hasn't been changed in a long time. They modified the caps over the summer. That's it.  And there's lots of gaps on that map. If you got blapped it means you were unlucky or had bad situational awareness.  

• Cool 2

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
12 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

So I was just on Land of Fire Pushing south along the  7 line about to clean the clock of a Fiji in my Nelson When a Richelu Cleans my clock from the west thanks to the gap you all placed in the Islands there.

Lol the only reason the gap caused a problem was that you failed to take it into account.

I mean, ok, maybe you didn't pay attention to the map changes in the patch notes, (I'm pretty bad at that myself lol) but did you not see the gap and think, "Hmmm.... somebody could shoot at me through there."?

Have you not heard the age old addage "If it ani't broke don't fix it"?  Would your replace the engine in a Bugatti Veyron just because it reached 25,000 miles? 

No, but by that time, I've probably replaced the oil and filter several times, the air filter, spark plugs, etc., specifically so that I didn't have to replace the whole engine.

And that's just preventative maintenance. You can bet that if the engine made a noise I didn't like, I'd replace whatever was needed to remedy that, too.

You say add new maps instead of tweaking old ones. I'd rather change the engine at 25000 miles, than replace the whole car....

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,333 posts
12,427 battles

Land of Fire in its previous incarnation was crap, IDK what you are talking about.

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
336 posts
14,385 battles

You all need to check again, south side 7 line there was one long island a gap at the caps and the 2 islands north of cap. Now it's 2 islands south of cap like the north side. This is new not something that has been around for months. I'll admit I screwed up by not noticing the change in the map, but there was definitely a change to it.

[SALVO]
Members
21,364 posts
21,609 battles

I think that there were essentially two changes.  One, on the left side of the map, there were some islands north and south of  the A cap that were positioned in very difficult locations.  Their positions made it difficult for ships spawning between  the center and far left spawns from going towards the A cap without getting hung out to dry if they needed to withdraw.  Furthermore, those islands were long enough that ships in that spawn found it difficult to head west to go behind them before heading to the cap.  They'd basically have to pull a little more than a 90o turn before heading west, and doing this from a dead stop (out of spawn).  Not fun.  So, the map devs tweaked this area of the map to make it less painful for ships spawning in this location (both N and S spawns).

And IIRC, the second change (or set of changes) were done to make the map better balanced for clan battles usage.  The thing is that many maps are acceptable as is for regular random or coop play.  But when it comes to clan battles, WG and CBs players want the CBs maps to be more finely tuned for balance so that neither team has some small advantage due to terrain differences that favor one side over the other.

On the flip side, balancing these maps for clan battles does tend to make them seem overly mirrored, boring to look at, and less interesting.  Part of the problem is that these maps are mirrored only north vs south (with N/S spawns).  But think back to the Riposte map that was used in a single season of tier 6 Ranked.  That map mirrored in two dimensions.  Think of it this way.  The map is mirrored north vs south.  But then the north half of the map is flipped east to west, with the result being that the NW quarter of the map mirrors the SE quarter, rather than the SW quarter.  I wish that they'd do this type of two dimensional mirroring more often.  It makes the map mirroring less obvious and a little more interesting.

Members
688 posts
5,656 battles
50 minutes ago, BarronRichthofen said:

You all need to check again, south side 7 line there was one long island a gap at the caps and the 2 islands north of cap. Now it's 2 islands south of cap like the north side. This is new not something that has been around for months. I'll admit I screwed up by not noticing the change in the map, but there was definitely a change to it.

They changed it because North could push into B without entering C, whereas south had to retreat to spawn to travel in to B. North had a huge positioning advantage.

You failed to account for an enemy ship positioning in a way to punish you from a prime angle. That is your fault.

Wargaming *is* fixing what needs fixing. YOU need to fix your situational awareness and battle sense. You got greedy trying to kill a Fiji and got wrecked because you didnt pay attention. That is all there is to it.

Be sure to angle against potential threats when you suspect there may be some.

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
336 posts
14,385 battles

The Fiji Still Died and I did not die. I used my Wonder twin Nerco heal came back around and burned the Richelu to the waterline.  But thats not the point. Quit trying to make this into a "I got reamed and it's Wargamings fault Thread" Which is what MOST of the responses are so far.

Crucis is the only response that has been on topic, the rest of you go troll someone who cares.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,642 posts
15,145 battles
2 hours ago, BarronRichthofen said:

Why fix things that are not Broken?

Just because you didn't know they were broken doesn't mean they weren't broken.

Per 0.7.11 patch notes: " The Land of Fire map has undergone a series of changes aimed at improving the balance between the teams [...]". This is almost always done because of map asymmetry that results in north-spawning teams having a statistically higher/lower win rate than south-spawning teams. It could also have been done because Land of Fire is being used as a CB map this season, and having one side with an extra gap to get shot through wasn't acceptable for competitive play. In either case, the goal of the change is to fix a legitimate problem.