Battleship_DukeofYork

My Lego Trains

82 comments in this topic

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles

I think its because that 611 has a ugly bathtub slapped on top of its boiler while certain other streamlined US steamers have their streamlining be quite functional, like the Southern Pacific GS Series, noted today in SP 4449

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
1 hour ago, High_Admiral said:

I think its because that 611 has a ugly bathtub slapped on top of its boiler while certain other streamlined US steamers have their streamlining be quite functional, like the Southern Pacific GS Series, noted today in SP 4449

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I personally think 611 is the best-looking engine of any US railroad.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles
1 minute ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I personally think 611 is the best-looking engine of any US railroad.

Honestly, the N&W class J makes me taste bile in my mouth. Honestly one of the worst looking locos ever.

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
Just now, High_Admiral said:

Honestly, the N&W class J makes me taste bile in my mouth. Honestly one of the worst looking locos ever.

Yeah, agree to disagree so things don't get ugly

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
10 hours ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Fair enough. Just curious, why no love for 611? 

I never thought her streamlining was particularly good. I'm also not an enormous fan of 4-8-4s in general - I feel like they too often get chosen over alternatives when it comes to restoration. It seems like every year you read about another Northern being restored somewhere. Meanwhile, the vast majority of 4-6-4s, 2-8-2s, etc. rot as static displays.

Here's tonight's effort: an ATSF 4-6-4:

i7iC8Xc.png

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/168872-moc-atsf-3450-class-4-6-4-hudson-3451/

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
8 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I never thought her streamlining was particularly good. I'm also not an enormous fan of 4-8-4s in general - I feel like they too often get chosen over alternatives when it comes to restoration. It seems like every year you read about another Northern being restored somewhere. Meanwhile, the vast majority of 4-6-4s, 2-8-2s, etc. rot as static displays.

Here's tonight's effort: an ATSF 4-6-4:

Fair point. There are some others however.

Looks good. Forgot the ATSF had Hudsons...

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

Today I did an Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0:

Oh nice. Always liked locos with a whole bunch of piping on the exterior. Like the C&O H8's

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
34 minutes ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Oh nice. Always liked locos with a whole bunch of piping on the exterior. Like the C&O H8's

Yeah, I was surprised how well that part of it came together.

I'll have to sit down and think a bit about what I want to do next. Nothing is really coming to mind immediately. I'd like to do something else on the small(ish) side - I'm kind of crapped out on huge locomotives at the moment.

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
41 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

Yeah, I was surprised how well that part of it came together.

I'll have to sit down and think a bit about what I want to do next. Nothing is really coming to mind immediately. I'd like to do something else on the small(ish) side - I'm kind of crapped out on huge locomotives at the moment.

J94 Austerity maybe?

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles

Hey, would you look at that. A mighty fine looking GS-6. does she have the enclosed cab like the prototype?

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
33 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

Hey, would you look at that. A mighty fine looking GS-6. does she have the enclosed cab like the prototype?

HdGgCnn.png

Yup. I do my best to follow the details of prototypes whenever possible.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles
4 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

HdGgCnn.png

Yup. I do my best to follow the details of prototypes whenever possible.

looks good, although I don't think any of the enclosed cabs had the roof overhang of their GS-2 and GS-3 sisters

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles

Image result for SP 4449 cab

Huh, just a slight roof overhang to protect connections. Guess I was wrong.

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
37 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

looks good, although I don't think any of the enclosed cabs had the roof overhang of their GS-2 and GS-3 sisters

Idk about the GS-2 or 3's/ 4449 is a GS-4, which did have the newer enclosed cab.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles
Just now, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Idk about the GS-2 or 3's/ 4449 is a GS-4, which did have the newer enclosed cab.

Tthat's what I was saying, the GS-2 and GS-3 classes had a traditional open cab which did have the overhang. The GS-4,5,6 classes were enclosed.

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
4 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

Tthat's what I was saying, the GS-2 and GS-3 classes had a traditional open cab which did have the overhang. The GS-4,5,6 classes were enclosed.

Yes that's true. I do like the GS's. Just kinda overrated dare I say...

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles
Just now, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Yes that's true. I do like the GS's. Just kinda overrated dare I say...

Tbh, it depends on the person judging. We all have opinions on things, and I respect that. But let's get back to trains shall we?

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,331 battles
Just now, High_Admiral said:

Tbh, it depends on the person judging. We all have opinions on things, and I respect that. But let's get back to trains shall we?

Yep. Fine by me.

[WOLF9]
Members
10,277 posts
4,370 battles
On 12/5/2018 at 4:56 PM, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

How about a little diesel yard switcher?

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
939 posts
3,237 battles

You know, I think Cale Leiphart did the Triplex in Lego, even got that nice Boiler Jacket color. 

Erie P-1 "Triplex"

I was wrong, it was Shupp. 

(For anyone who doesn't know who I'm refferring to, they're really good builders in the Lego Train Community, and people I look for inspiration and ways of building certain areas of my own builds.)