Battleship_DukeofYork

My Lego Trains

82 comments in this topic

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles

Since there's a lot of train/ship crossover interest, I figured I would share some of my work:

Great Northern Q-2 2-10-2:

lOfrTQS.png

NYC J3a Hudson 4-6-4 (Empire State Express):

Dq76tXV.png

PRR G5s 4-6-0:

eHoRlFc.png

PRR 4-4-6-4 Q2 Duplex:

umb2PVc.png

(Many) more photos in the links.

Edited by Battleship_DukeofYork
  • Cool 11

[SPTR]
Members
26,718 posts
13,297 battles

these are all really nice to look at, last one reminds me of Big Boy locomotives /^.\\

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
51 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

these are all really nice to look at, last one reminds me of Big Boy locomotives /^.\\

They were actually the most powerful steam locomotive ever static tested. Not quite the match for a Big Boy or a Y6b when it comes to raw pulling power, but they were faster, and could pull 125 cars at 50 MPH.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,426 posts

Ooooo those smooth lines....

wowsfeels_by_chobittsu_studios-dbpeb06.p

Members
1,484 posts
9,676 battles

I just have to say 'choo chooo!' Nice stuff; I collect model cars myself...the vintage models of yesteryear.

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles

These are great. I've been in love with old trains since I was a little kid.

2 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

They were actually the most powerful steam locomotive ever static tested. Not quite the match for a Big Boy or a Y6b when it comes to raw pulling power, but they were faster, and could pull 125 cars at 50 MPH.

From what I just looked up, they're also the largest non-articulated locomotives ever built. They must have had a devil of a time getting around corners.

[SFBBW]
Members
158 posts
11,110 battles
3 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

that is because thats the challenger

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,094 posts
10,963 battles

Do these run or are they static models? I always wanted to do a Q2, but I felt it's just too big for the usual R48 track.

Nice job nonetheless; thanks for sharing.

Also turn on "brick outlines" in LDD reee :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by pikohan

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
2 hours ago, pikohan said:

Do these run or are they static models? I always wanted to do a Q2, but I felt it's just too big for the usual R48 track.

Nice job nonetheless; thanks for sharing.

Also turn on "brick outlines" in LDD reee :Smile_teethhappy:

They have all the gearing, motors, etc. necessary to run. With the Q2, I originally had planned to articulate the engine, but decided not to do it for a number of reasons (which I discuss at length here). Ultimately, the answer is yes... but not well. 

At the end of the day, when you're talking about an engine of that size, you're really going to have to pick your poison in the details vs. functionality issue; there is no "out-thinking" the track curvature - you either scheme for it, or you don't. And I didn't.

yZYqhcY.png

Edited by Battleship_DukeofYork

[SPTR]
Members
2,282 posts
1,271 battles
12 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

C&O H8's want a word with you

Although as an N&W fanboy its my duty to defend the Y6's A's and J's no matter what.

Edited by 7_3_PowerStroke

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
57 minutes ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

C&O H8's want a word with you

Although as an N&W fanboy its my duty to defend the Y6's A's and J's no matter what.

I'm not claiming it was the world's most powerful locomotive - that's clearly not true. It was just the most powerful one ever put through scientific paces in an industrial lab setting. I don't think it's even in the same discussion as Big Boys, Y6bs, etc.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,044 posts
9,378 battles

fun fact for those that dont know, Union Pacific is currently restoring one of the Big Boys, 4014 iirc

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
936 posts
3,159 battles

mmmmmmmmmmmmm PRR Q2. Gotta love that beast. You got a file for that? Want to build one after I finally get around to finish the Gen2 version of my fictional loco. 

Spoiler

2029684242_J1Gen2.thumb.png.f451046c2e899fb49e96a9e1ff8eae51.png

Really doesn't compare to your builds, but she's capable of housing four XLs in the boiler. Still am working on a way to squeeze the IR receiver and bat box in to avoid putting wires to the tender. Plus, I do want to try to put a smoke generator in for the stack like so many of the greats have done. 

Edited by High_Admiral

[SPTR]
Members
2,282 posts
1,271 battles
22 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I'm not claiming it was the world's most powerful locomotive - that's clearly not true. It was just the most powerful one ever put through scientific paces in an industrial lab setting. I don't think it's even in the same discussion as Big Boys, Y6bs, etc.

Fair enough. Just sayin' The Y's are my fav I will say. 

20 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

It should be ready in... May, right? Something like that?

Somewhere around that time I hope. UP wanted it ready for something in the summer if memory serves.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,798 posts
4,305 battles

Nice trains.

I was in a Lego store the other day and they have some really cool stuff.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,798 posts
4,305 battles

If you're doing requests, I would love to see one of the South African articulated locos.

[SPTR]
Members
2,282 posts
1,271 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

If you're doing requests, I would love to see one of the South African articulated locos.

Seconded, as well as An NSWGR AD60

Members
1,404 posts
1,584 battles
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'm kind of off narrow gauge at the moment, though I am sure it will spark my interest again in the future.

7 hours ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Looks neat. Any plans to do N&W 611 or SP 4449?

I actually am not a fan of the 611. I may eventually do the 4449, but, as you can imagine, it's a rather popular locomotive, and a lot of other people have already done it. I was, however, considering a N&W S1 class 0-8-0.

[SPTR]
Members
2,282 posts
1,271 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I'm kind of off narrow gauge at the moment, though I am sure it will spark my interest again in the future.

I actually am not a fan of the 611. I may eventually do the 4449, but, as you can imagine, it's a rather popular locomotive, and a lot of other people have already done it. I was, however, considering a N&W S1 class 0-8-0.

Fair enough. Just curious, why no love for 611?