Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Okay, WeeGee, how do I adjust the number of replays saved?

14 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles

You said we could do it.  You haven't said how we could do.  (Or nowhere that I've seen.)

So?  How?

[RLGN]
Members
10,961 posts
20,039 battles

A thread a few days ago made it sound like another code related issue...

...iow, go through the code lines and change the pentameters based on some difficult to find instructions.

[MHG]
Members
70 posts
16,665 battles

Someone found and posted the setting on reddit:

To change the number of recorded replays, you should open "engine_config.xml", which is located in the "res" folder in the game directory. Find the line "<maxReplaysToSave>30< / maxReplaysToSave>" in this file and change 30 to the desired number.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,604 posts
12,126 battles

The change was basically to set it to 30 from all.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles
2 hours ago, CuriousShadow said:

Someone found and posted the setting on reddit:

To change the number of recorded replays, you should open "engine_config.xml", which is located in the "res" folder in the game directory. Find the line "<maxReplaysToSave>30< / maxReplaysToSave>" in this file and change 30 to the desired number.

Thank you.  Straightforward enough.  The tag is down near the bottom.  Set to 99999.

No thanks to WG.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
70 posts
16,665 battles

So.  The latest patch reset my number of games to save back down to 30, and consequently my replays were deleted again.  Wargaming, do you understand that this kind of sloppiness disappoints your users?  You're deleting our data without asking.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles

I repaired my installation last night and it reset the save count, too.

Easiest way to change it back is via mxStat.  It even warns you that it has been reset.  The problem is, you have to remember to run it *before* the client has a chance to delete your files.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles

I've started getting in the habit of moving any replays and screenshots I want to keep into a separate file right after I log off. Even if it's my computer, the application is designed to take care of itself - if I don't want anything getting caught in the system's internal gears, best to keep my things clear.

Edited by yungpanda

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles

I filed a well-documented ticket on this.  WG Support summarily closed it with no apparent recognition of the problem.

Looks like we're on our own.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Or, use mxstat...

So many threads on this for the last few weeks.

You're missing the point.  The instructions don't work.  Change the setting all you want, the next update will just ignore it.  And Support doesn't want to know.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

You're missing the point.  The instructions don't work.  Change the setting all you want, the next update will just ignore it.  And Support doesn't want to know.

Yeah, thats pretty frustrating, if you forget after a patch *poof* most of your replays gone.

[LOU1]
Members
3,678 posts
10,000 battles
15 hours ago, iDuckman said:

?  they do work.  Like a few other things, it gets reset with the next patch.  Players pushed them to put this in and they finally gave in, even though it was able to be fully implemented.  i figured when they saw a CC had posted the instructions, that was considered sufficient.  Not sure what you expect from Support - the implementation is not persistent.  Just like our workstations at work.  many setting remain, but quite a few have to be set to personal taste after every monthly patch.  When new staff ask why things got reset, my answer is that is what happens after an update and they should plan for it.  The settings that revert are primarily related to security and they revert as a side effect of maintaining system integrity and clearing storage/memory of unwanted data.

I am not a fan of it, but I take the couple of minutes required to run mxstat right after a patch and I am good to go for four weeks.  I also take the multiple minutes to reinstall Aslain's initial update and the following ones that are required as modders update the mods.  So, restoring the number of replays is a minor blip on my radar screen.  But I understand each of us has their own perspective.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles
47 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Like a few other things, it gets reset with the next patch. 

In other words, the next client start deletes the files, even though the player explicitly told the system not to.  That is not "working"; rather it directly contradicts the way the system was described to work.

1 hour ago, ExploratorOne said:

Players pushed them to put this in

I have never seen such a request on this forum.

While I won't speculate on the "why" of this change, I must note that if WG really needs replays on, as suggested, then why aren't they automatically enabled now?

This whole mess would have been far better had WG just left it alone.  The players that wanted replays could have them, and the rest didn't care. 

Sign in to follow this