Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptRummy

Hello Folks

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
20 posts
72 battles

Hello all. Just decided to give this a try, as I've tired of WOT Blitz which I just cant seem to get excited about anymore. Anyways, enjoying this so far, and sticking to Co-Op for now to get my feet wet.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
29 posts

Welcome aboard.

A word of caution: Co-op is a great way to polish your mechanics, but the tactics and play style of Co-op and Random are radically different, so be prepared for long learning curve.

Have fun!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
4 minutes ago, Ministre_de_la_Marine said:

Welcome aboard.

A word of caution: Co-op is a great way to polish your mechanics, but the tactics and play style of Co-op and Random are radically different, so be prepared for long learning curve.

Have fun!

Yep, thanks! I realize that, just trying to get a handle on mechanics and general gameplay before I ruin the days of real people, lol! :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
9 minutes ago, CaptRummy said:

Yep, thanks! I realize that, just trying to get a handle on mechanics and general gameplay before I ruin the days of real people, lol! :Smile_trollface:

Welcome aboard. If you stay in the Tier 1 - 4 range any mistakes by you are your team mates are relatively easy to cover.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Welcome aboard. If you stay in the Tier 1 - 4 range any mistakes by you are your team mates are relatively easy to cover.

Thanks Brush! Yep, that seems to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,507
[RLGN]
Members
8,645 posts
17,894 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptRummy said:

Thanks Brush! Yep, that seems to be true.

Keep an eye on Ole’ @BrushWolf ! He and I may disagree on a few things, but he gives good advice!

I can look for you in game after 2300 CST if you’d like to div up in Co-op or ask someone questions directly.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Keep an eye on Ole’ @BrushWolf ! He and I may disagree on a few things, but he gives good advice!

Thank you kindly Prophet! Will do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,797
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,092 posts
12,044 battles

Welcome, best advice I can give is don't rush up the tiers. Take your time and learn the game before trying to get to the end of the tech trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
5 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Welcome, best advice I can give is don't rush up the tiers. Take your time and learn the game before trying to get to the end of the tech trees.

Yes, I totally agree with this philosophy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
420 posts
9,653 battles

Welcome aboard! Ships are more fun (and more frustrating at times too!) than WoT. Also, a much nicer community :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
3 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Welcome aboard! Ships are more fun (and more frustrating at times too!) than WoT. Also, a much nicer community :)

Thanks, and I agree. Havent been chased off by toxicity like those other guys yet, :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,540
[PVE]
Members
10,786 posts
7,940 battles

@CaptRummy, as a co-op main I find the biggest difference between the two is that you can be WAY more aggressive in co-op than PvP. Learning the trick of when to push in PvP without being left as the only pusher, is tricky. There is more camping and island humping in PvP than in co-op. The bots tend to charge the objectives and you will end up brawling. Once you are in PvP, if you have not crossed into T5+ play in co-op, I would recommend popping back in for a bit to get used to being T5 vs a T7 vs bots. Once you are comfortable being bottom tier vs bots, pop back to PvP to practice vs people. I understand WOT that if you are downtiered, there is not much you can do vs the top tier tanks ships:Smile_facepalm: That is not really the case in WoWs. You can take out a +2 ship, you just have to be more careful.

 

@hangglide42 has a nice set of guides here on the forum and there are many youtubers. Notser, iChase, URPeacekeeper, Mighty Jingles, NoZoupforYou and Flamu seem to be the most popular and are a variety of styles, if you don't like the style of one. @LittleWhiteMouse, does written guides for premium ships and is the gold standard for a written review. She will be the first to tell you to get a variety of views on a premium before dropping $$. Links below

 

 

 

If you have not found the Wiki... http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

For the first bit, this will tell you the things you can unlock as you gain account levels. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

 

How it works videos... https://worldofwarships.com/en/media/tag/how-it-works/

 

other official videos... https://worldofwarships.com/en/media/

 

Facebook has a WoWs Dev Blog, but it gets posted here pretty quickly.

 

Clans are different than in WOT and there are casual (don't care about stats, just earn oil) clans, semi-serious clans and serious clans. Getting in a casual clan just involves finding one with an open spot and the others have various rules and/or sub-clans you have to work through. You can get some nice bonuses for being in a clan.

 

Most everyone here is very nice and helpful. There are some feuds and factions, but it tends to be nice overall.

 

GL&FS. o>

Edited by Kizarvexis
misspelled tanks :)
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
154
[DANKY]
Members
582 posts
1,783 battles
57 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Welcome aboard. If you stay in the Tier 1 - 4 range any mistakes by you are your team mates are relatively easy to cover.

This is sort of true.  Even with respect to competitive mode the game protects you for a while by keeping grizzled veterans off your back.  But at a certain point it opens the gates open and you end up in the ring with people who really know how to shoot.  So don't feel discouraged if the game suddenly gets a LOT harder.  It happens to all of us!  Getting sunk by those guys is the cost of learning game mechanics that bots don't teach nearly as well. 

Good luck and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,405
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
56 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Keep an eye on Ole’ @BrushWolf ! He and I may disagree on a few things, but he gives good advice!

I can look for you in game after 2300 CST if you’d like to div up in Co-op or ask someone questions directly.

A few things? :Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,507
[RLGN]
Members
8,645 posts
17,894 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

A few things? :Smile-_tongue:

Attempting not to overstate.

I believe it to be very few, and centered around recent controversies more than gameplay as a whole in any case.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
72 battles
7 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

@CaptRummy, as a co-op main I find the biggest difference between the two is that you can be WAY more aggressive in co-op than PvP. Learning the trick of when to push in PvP without being left as the only pusher, is tricky. There is more camping and island humping in PvP than in co-op. The bots tend to charge the objectives and you will end up brawling. Once you are in PvP, if you have not crossed into T5+ play in co-op, I would recommend popping back in for a bit to get used to being T5 vs a T7 vs bots. Once you are comfortable being bottom tier vs bots, pop back to PvP to practice vs people. I understand WOT that if you are downtiered, there is not much you can do vs the top tier tanks ships:Smile_facepalm: That is not really the case in WoWs. You can take out a +2 ship, you just have to be more careful.

 

@hangglide42 has a nice set of guides here on the forum and there are many youtubers. Notser, iChase, URPeacekeeper, Mighty Jingles, NoZoupforYou and Flamu seem to be the most popular and are a variety of styles, if you don't like the style of one. @LittleWhiteMouse, does written guides for premium ships and is the gold standard for a written review. She will be the first to tell you to get a variety of views on a premium before dropping $$. Links below

 

 

 

If you have not found the Wiki... http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

For the first bit, this will tell you the things you can unlock as you gain account levels. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

 

How it works videos... https://worldofwarships.com/en/media/tag/how-it-works/

 

other official videos... https://worldofwarships.com/en/media/

 

Facebook has a WoWs Dev Blog, but it gets posted here pretty quickly.

 

Clans are different than in WOT and there are casual (don't care about stats, just earn oil) clans, semi-serious clans and serious clans. Getting in a casual clan just involves finding one with an open spot and the others have various rules and/or sub-clans you have to work through. You can get some nice bonuses for being in a clan.

 

Most everyone here is very nice and helpful. There are some feuds and factions, but it tends to be nice overall.

 

GL&FS. o>

Wow! Thanks for all that great info and advice! Some of it I already found by doing a bit of reading before I even started playing, lol.  Much appreciated though and will continue learning. 
I do like the thought of popping in and out of Co-Op as I move up, makes sense before hopping into the fire and being a total liability to a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
9 hours ago, CaptRummy said:

Hello all. Just decided to give this a try, as I've tired of WOT Blitz which I just cant seem to get excited about anymore. Anyways, enjoying this so far, and sticking to Co-Op for now to get my feet wet.

Hi, welcome to WoWS :)

 

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

  • Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at (and carriers have a massively disproportionate impact on your team's chances of winning - do badly, and you'll keep losing).  Whilst the first American Carrier, Langley, is the best at Tier 4, the Japanese (IJN) tech tree carriers from Tier 5 and up are superior to massively superior to their American carriers (for no historical reason). 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptRummy said:

Thanks UltimateNewbie, great info!

No worries, always happy to help. 

Feel free to hit me up in-game for a division (ie, platoon) about this time or a touch before.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×