You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

New ship from a Tier V Nicholas (US DD)

12 comments in this topic

[99TH]
Members
25 posts
1,568 battles

Trying to find out what to buy after the Nicholas.  Specs:

Surviv:  20  ; Artillery 26   ; Torpedoes  21  ; AA  21  ; Manuv.   87  ;  Concealment 92.

The direct upgrade to Tier VI is the Farragut, but it is a marginal upgrade with Torpedoes = 12 (!).     

I really love the Nicholas torps...  two banks per side, with three torpedoes each.    Yeah the reload time could be better, but I can deliver 12 by doing a circle without reloading.  

I really want to keep a torpedo armament just a strong, but the US vessel upgrade path seems to be going downhill in torpedo strength.

But I'm wondering if / how the centerline torpedo mounts work?  Do they reload relatively fast?

Also I see the IJN Tier VII Akatsuki has Torpedoes = 30.   That sounds like something I would be interested in.....anyone have experience in it?

>>> and, not having an IJN vessel so far, can I jump straight to a Tier V/VI/VII IJN destroyer (Fubuki or Akatsuki) without playing the Tier 1/2/3/4 under them ?  (never tired this before)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Allen

[SIDE]
Members
1,324 posts
9,334 battles

You will have to go up the IJN DD line, but at low tier, it goes pretty fast. Be aware, the line splits into both a gunboat and torp line later ending in Harugumo(gunboat) and Shimakaze(torps). 

On the US line, Fletcher and Gearing are good hybrids blending torps and guns.

Edited by _Rumple_

[HYDRO]
Members
1,859 posts
3,961 battles

The ratings given for each ship are often misleading, I wouldn't trust them much. For example Clemson's upgraded hull literally doubles the amount of guns you get, yet the "artillery" rating improves by just 1.

As for Farragut, you can launch all your torpedoes from one side so you don't have to turn around like Nicholas, and in addition your torpedoes are faster and have better range.

If you want to compare ships, it would be better to look up their stats in wiki or ask here instead of comparing ratings.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,332 battles

Basically... Farragut is better, Mahan is better, Benson is awesome, Fletch is probably the best all around DD in the game. Cant go wrong with that line. Pick up a Sims for training and base XP grinding.

[PQUOD]
Members
447 posts
6,876 battles
42 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

Trying to find out what to buy after the Nicholas.  Specs:

Surviv:  20  ; Artillery 26   ; Torpedoes  21  ; AA  21  ; Manuv.   87  ;  Concealment 92.

The direct upgrade to Tier VI is the Farragut, but it is a marginal upgrade with Torpedoes = 12 (!).     

I really love the Nicholas torps...  two banks per side, with three torpedoes each.    Yeah the reload time could be better, but I can deliver 12 by doing a circle without reloading.  

I really want to keep a torpedo armament just a strong, but the US vessel upgrade path seems to be going downhill in torpedo strength.

But I'm wondering if / how the centerline torpedo mounts work?  Do they reload relatively fast?

Also I see the IJN Tier VII Akatsuki has Torpedoes = 30.   That sounds like something I would be interested in.....anyone have experience in it?

>>> and, not having an IJN vessel so far, can I jump straight to a Tier V/VI/VII IJN destroyer (Fubuki or Akatsuki) without playing the Tier 1/2/3/4 under them ?  (never tired this before)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Allen

The Farragut has improved ROF with the guns, with faster turning turrets.

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
43 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

The Farragut has improved ROF with the guns, with faster turning turrets.

Also; stay with B Hull for more 127mm dakka, or go C Hull for one less 127 and more AA dakka.

[PQUOD]
Members
447 posts
6,876 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Also; stay with B Hull for more 127mm dakka, or go C Hull for one less 127 and more AA dakka.

Yes. Just personal preference I passed on the AA builds for the DD's. I felt like the CA/CL, and BB lines made it worth while to spec AA.

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,311 battles

For all intents and purposes, completely ignore the "ratings" WG assigns to things. They're useless in practice. 

Look at the forums to find out how the actual weapons work in the game.

For instance, long-range AA guns are vastly superior in utility to short-range ones.  Yet it's quite possible for a ship to have better AA rating than a ship with mostly long-range AA. And the strength of various guns depends more on their ballistics than their caliber.

NEVER FreeXP straight to a T7 (or even T6) ship. At most, play up through the line, using FreeXP to buy all the upgrades when you unlock the ship. You absolutely need the playing time experience to understand how to use that particular line's strengths (and compensate for their weaknesses).

Frankly, if you want more torpedoes but want to NOT feel like you're being beaten with a Nerf Bat every time you play, then go for the German DD line, NOT the IJN line. The IJN line just gets more and more frustrating to play once you go beyond T6.  The KM line can stealth torp quickly, and has very comfortable to use torps throughout the entire line.

That said, the US DDs are quite a lot of fun to play, the entire line.

[99TH]
Members
25 posts
1,568 battles
13 hours ago, LAnybody said:

For all intents and purposes, completely ignore the "ratings" WG assigns to things. They're useless in practice. 

Look at the forums to find out how the actual weapons work in the game.

For instance, long-range AA guns are vastly superior in utility to short-range ones.  Yet it's quite possible for a ship to have better AA rating than a ship with mostly long-range AA. And the strength of various guns depends more on their ballistics than their caliber.

NEVER FreeXP straight to a T7 (or even T6) ship. At most, play up through the line, using FreeXP to buy all the upgrades when you unlock the ship. You absolutely need the playing time experience to understand how to use that particular line's strengths (and compensate for their weaknesses).

Frankly, if you want more torpedoes but want to NOT feel like you're being beaten with a Nerf Bat every time you play, then go for the German DD line, NOT the IJN line. The IJN line just gets more and more frustrating to play once you go beyond T6.  The KM line can stealth torp quickly, and has very comfortable to use torps throughout the entire line.

That said, the US DDs are quite a lot of fun to play, the entire line.

Thanks for the good advice!  I will look up the German DD line some more.   I certainly play against a lot of them.      And have to keep remembering that the German BB classes usually include torpedoes!  

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,311 battles
On 11/28/2018 at 4:52 AM, brewakeg said:

Thanks for the good advice!  I will look up the German DD line some more.   I certainly play against a lot of them.      And have to keep remembering that the German BB classes usually include torpedoes!  

Well, just 2 German BBs use torps:  the T7 Gneisenau, and the T8 premium Tirpitz.

But it makes them *really* nasty brawlers.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
6 hours ago, LAnybody said:

Well, just 2 German BBs use torps:  the T7 Gneisenau, and the T8 premium Tirpitz.

But it makes them *really* nasty brawlers.

And Scharnhorst

[99TH]
Members
25 posts
1,568 battles
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, crzyhawk said:

And Scharnhorst

I know.  Had a very unpleasant experience going up against a Tirpitz.  Had it almost lined up in my torpedo sights....just a few more seconds....  and got those little red triangles and beep....beep...beep headed at me at very short range.  Thought:  "BBs have torps??!!"   (sort of BC comics: "Clams got Legs??" moment).   Now I check for opposing German BBs of those types, and make a mental note to be careful around them!