You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rouxi

Would another T7 ranked be good?

35 comments in this topic

Members
1,015 posts
7,530 battles

Yes I know the previous times were bad because reasons but hear me out, the meta has actually changed quite a bit since then. Sims has been power crept pretty bad, while it's still a viable pick it's not the go to ship it once was. Shiratsuyu has been nerfed. Belfast is no longer for sale and not as common as it once was. Also OWSF was removed and smoke firing was nerfed.

We have also gotten a lot of new ships then that can shake up the meta, I'll just highlight a few standout ships. The lyon is a beast and I can easily see it dev striking any belfast that tries to camp in smoke. Boise is a great HE spammer with a heal giving it much better survivability than most cruisers. We've also had some huge changes in DD meta with many low concealment ships added such as haida, z-39, godjah, and even jervis. In addition to that many old ships had been buffed or moved around such as myoko and yorck. The t7 NOLA is much better than the old prebuff pensacola. Hydro is also much more common at T7 than it used to be so torp spam wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

TL;DR I think the game has changed enough that a T7 ranked could be fun again.

• Cool 1

Members
557 posts
3,807 battles

I strongly suspect Sprint Ranked will be employed for those tiers that are perceived to be irrevocably broken or too low to contain a decent mix of skilled players.  So...everything but T6, T8 and T10. :Smile_hiding: 

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles

I personally think T6 ranked was the best and most balanced - no radar, and multiple options for each ship type that were strong or useful with almost no bad ships (Independece was obvious exception). 

Still, I enjoyed the T7 Ranked (my first) where I used Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. Fiji and Belfast would still be strong ships. But, I think T7 would make for a solid Sprint run tbh - at least the meta could be tested first. 

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,872 posts
3,968 battles

If the CV rework goes as planned, then unless you wanna block CVs from Ranked the possible tiers would be IV, VI, VIII, X.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,836 posts
8,803 battles

Unless WG decides to restrict ranked to silver ship, I won't even bother touching T5 and 7 ranked.

T6 was really good because there are no broken ship at this tier. Same for T8. 

Members
1,881 posts
10,374 battles
57 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Unless WG decides to restrict ranked to silver ship, I won't even bother touching T5 and 7 ranked.

T6 was really good because there are no broken ship at this tier. Same for T8. 

What in your mind is OP?

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,334 battles
1 hour ago, Rouxi said:

Yes I know the previous times were bad because reasons but hear me out, the meta has actually changed quite a bit since then. Sims has been power crept pretty bad, while it's still a viable pick it's not the go to ship it once was. Shiratsuyu has been nerfed. Belfast is no longer for sale and not as common as it once was. Also OWSF was removed and smoke firing was nerfed.

We have also gotten a lot of new ships then that can shake up the meta, I'll just highlight a few standout ships. The lyon is a beast and I can easily see it dev striking any belfast that tries to camp in smoke. Boise is a great HE spammer with a heal giving it much better survivability than most cruisers. We've also had some huge changes in DD meta with many low concealment ships added such as haida, z-39, godjah, and even jervis. In addition to that many old ships had been buffed or moved around such as myoko and yorck. The t7 NOLA is much better than the old prebuff pensacola. Hydro is also much more common at T7 than it used to be so torp spam wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

TL;DR I think the game has changed enough that a T7 ranked could be fun again.

Excellent arguments. Could add the plentiful array of solid BBs with great strengths and weaknesses -- Nelson, KGV, DoY, Hood, Ashitaka, and of course as you said, Lyon. Last time was only the German twins, Nagato, and Colorado. 

CVs are banned from CW so there's a precedent for banning things from competitive play. I expect many players would accept a ban on Belfasts if that proved necessary

I could definitely support T7 Ranked. Would be fun. 

Members
1,033 posts
13 battles
14 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Excellent arguments. Could add the plentiful array of solid BBs with great strengths and weaknesses -- Nelson, KGV, DoY, Hood, Ashitaka, and of course as you said, Lyon. Last time was only the German twins, Nagato, and Colorado. 

CVs are banned from CW so there's a precedent for banning things from competitive play. I expect many players would accept a ban on Belfasts if that proved necessary

I could definitely support T7 Ranked. Would be fun. 

Another idea:

Make T7 ranked after CV rework, since there will be no more odd-tiered CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
1,015 posts
7,530 battles
22 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Another idea:

Make T7 ranked after CV rework, since there will be no more odd-tiered CVs.

CV rework does complicate things for odd tier ranked. We'll have to see how WG balances things tho, maybe t6 or t8 CV could work in a t7 ranked.

[BNKR]
Members
216 posts
1,900 battles

I’m down for tier 6 or 7. I’ve been around long enough now that I have several 7s I could use, both premium and TT.

i was able to use premium 8s in the latest 8-10 ranked season, quickly got to 15 then had to stop. Dabbled some in the recent sprints and got to 4. I enjoyed both. 

I think ive said this elsewhere, but I really like the pvp aspect with the slightly smaller teams. Provides a little more “openness” to the gameplay. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,836 posts
8,803 battles
4 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

What in your mind is OP?

At T5 :

-Gulio

-Kamikaze sister

-Probably Oktober Revolution too

At T7:

-Belfast

-Saipan

-Kaga

-Flint

[-K-]
Members
656 posts
5,362 battles

T7 ranked id love to see, but the Sims with the broken XP modifier ruins that, then the Belfast.

If they could say tech tree only, id love to see T7!

• Boring 1

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles
10 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I personally think T6 ranked was the best and most balanced - no radar, and multiple options for each ship type that were strong or useful with almost no bad ships (Independece was obvious exception).

I hated T6 ranked, while its one of the most balanced tiers for ships. Whatever the team had the best DD(s) players would win the battle, and doesnt matter how good or bad your BB and cruiser players were. Without radar, you need to rely on your DDs to scout/spot. If your DDs were bad or just unlucky the game was over... 

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
3 minutes ago, Xlap said:

I hated T6 ranked, while its one of the most balanced tiers for ships. Whatever the team had the best DD(s) players would win the battle, and doesnt matter how good or bad your BB and cruiser players were. Without radar, you need to rely on your DDs to scout/spot. If your DDs were bad or just unlucky the game was over... 

THat is true.  I played the Leander a lot to try and force my DDs to win battles by killing the enemy, or becoming a DD late battle to win the game.  It more or less worked, but tbh playing cruisers in ranked is tough.  I definitely earnt my Rank 1 that season! 

Still, it is the most balanced imo. 

[CUTER]
Members
3,777 posts
15,822 battles

I don't see a reason to play tech tree DDs and cruisers in a T7 ranked environment when I own premiums who are so much stronger.

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,908 battles
10 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I'd like to see T9 for the sheer newness of it.  Prior to the T9 premiums this was a very balanced tier.

Other than that, I'm down for any tier.  I like ranked more than randoms.

Me too, but only after they remove Musashi and Kron from the shop.

Don't want too many other players with my T10.. I mean T9 premiums in the game.

(insert evil laugh here)

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles
14 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Still, it is the most balanced imo. 

Agree, T6 is one of the most balanced, if not the most. But the skill gap between players create some huge issues. If WG did something to adrees that another T6 rnaked could be amazing. Sad because i would love to take my Warpite in out in a ranked season...

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,392 posts
19,453 battles

T7 ranked? Sure, my Belfast is ready.

T7 is the most unbalanced tier. The last time the winning team were those who had the most Belfast and Scharnhorst.

T6 is IMHO the best balanced one. The premiums are not OP and it's easy to join for all players.

[TNG]
Members
303 posts
15,742 battles

Any tier other than 8 or 10. 7 is fine too, and I don't get why 7 isn't wanted. Learn to play around the Belfast, its not that hard,  Try looking at the minimap identify where Belfast is and go from there. Smoke shoot, be patient, shoot torps to flush him out. It has super weak armor. 7 has tons of great ships other than Belfast.  And usually there's a Belfast on your team too. I'd love ranked to be 7. 

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles

T7 is where the Belfast, Indianapolis and the Flint ends up becoming the "I WIN" ship in a match. Especially if the other side doesn't have one.

[SIM]
Members
2,682 posts
4,423 battles
15 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

T7 is where the Belfast, Indianapolis and the Flint ends up becoming the "I WIN" ship in a match. Especially if the other side doesn't have one.

The Indy? I would have expected the Atlanta to be a heavier hitter than the Indy. Interesting. 

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles
21 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

The Indy? I would have expected the Atlanta to be a heavier hitter than the Indy. Interesting. 

One word...radar.