Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

DDs: Smoking Kills

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

45
[FYL]
Members
253 posts
1,476 battles

Had three  interesting matches with DDs in a row today. I was in the Tirpitz or MA.

 In the first one, while me and a cruiser are pushing up to a cap to help the DD. DD sets smoke, goes to the other side and gets shot once by the cruiser, then turns 180 and runs. The enemy cruiser (and another ship or two) gets a lot of shots on us and prevents us from capping the point. There was a fighter above us the entire time, who killed allied fighter immediately.

Next match, I'm helping a DD shoot at two other DDs, and doing good damage between secondaries and a few main shell hits. The friendly DD cuts to the side to get behind an island, and leaves a nice long steaming trail of smoke behind him, about 4 km in front of me, the DDs another 4 or so past that. The friendly DD stays behind the island and I balk at entering the smoke with no idea what's on the other side, so I start turning as quickly as I can (not quick). A wall of torpedoes the entire length of the smoke comes out and pops me.

Third match. First, there are three of us pushing a point vs one BB, though we are still about 6 km away from entering the point. DD smokes right on that line 4km away, and we all fold east since we have no clue what's going to be over there now. Same DD in the match - 4 of us are successfully fighting off a group of 5 and they have a few nearly dead and some retreating. We are fighting in an opening between two islands. Friendly DD comes by, smacks a bunch of smoke from one island to the next us and just keeps on running eastward without looking back. We start getting bombarded by an entire armada and several of us are sunk. They had radar on before the DD came out of his way to smoke us, btw.

 

I can understand accidentally blocking view if you smoke while panicking, but some of the rest were very interesting choices.

Edited by Tanuvein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,010
[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
1 hour ago, Tanuvein said:

Had three  interesting matches with DDs in a row today. I was in the Tirpitz or MA.

 In the first one, while me and a cruiser are pushing up to a cap to help the DD. DD sets smoke, goes to the other side and gets shot once by the cruiser, then turns 180 and runs. The cruiser (and another ship or two) gets a lot of shots on us and prevents us from capping the point. There was a fighter above us the entire time, who killed allied fighter immediately.

Next match, I'm helping a DD shoot at two other DDs, and doing good damage between secondaries and a few main shell hits. The DD cuts to the side to get behind an island, and leaves a nice long steaming trail of smoke behind him, about 4 km in front of me, the DDs another 4 or so past that. The friendly DD stays behind the island and I balk at entering the smoke with no idea what's on the other side, so I start turning as quickly as I can (not quick). A wall of torpedos the entire length of the smoke comes out and pops me.

Third match. First, there are three of us pushing a point vs one BB, though we are still about 6 km away from entering the point. DD smokes right on that line 4km away, and we all fold east since we have no clue what's going to be over there now. Same DD in the match - 4 or us are successfully fighting off a group of 5 and have a few nearly dead and some retreating. We are fighting in an opening between two islands. Friendly DD comes by, smacks a bunch of smoke from one island to the next us and just keeps on running eastward without looking back. We start getting bombarded by an entire armada and several of us are sunk. They had radar on before the DD came out of his way to smoke us, btw.

 

I can understand accidentally blocking view if you smoke while panicking, but some of the rest were very interesting choices.

I think that what you experienced are DD noobs.  Experienced DD players are or should be careful where they lay their smoke, at least if they're doing it to benefit someone other than themselves.  OTOH, if a DD is in a tight spot and is using smoke as an escape tool, it's always possible that it'll get laid in a bad spot for team mates.   But if the terrain allows it, if you've gotten unspotted (as the DD), you should try to spot for those team mates whose vision was blocked by your smoke.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,011
Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles

I seem to also be seeing more DDs, it seems, mindlessly smoking up the place these days and making things tuff for their mates. I get in battles where I am blind due to all the smoke. There is a time to lay smoke and lots of times NOT TO. But I am no expert on this. Just seems crazy and counterproductive at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
486
Members
2,734 posts
8,001 battles

Most DD players dont understand how their smoke can be terrible for their own team and great for the enemy team...

 

Its always "fun" when they use smoke, let their own team completely blind and than ask for help...

 

The worst part is that i see many DD mains, with thousands of battles and they still make dumb mistakes like that... some potatoes never learn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[CSALT]
Members
264 posts

This is why I don't mind not having smoke in Le Terrible, lol.  No smoke, no worries!!!

I have never relied on smoke for myself and generally only use it to help BBs/CCs to escape.  In fact, I will sometimes use it as a torpedo magnet for the red team to waste their torps at at, a lure to entice cruisers and DDs out from behind islands, or even as a decoy for hunting red ships to focus on while I try to flank them.

Smoke is really a double edged sword and I believe it is often misused.  Of course there is nothing quite as humorous as someone hitting that T button as the battle begins and have to suffer the embarrassment of Premature Smokulation.

:cap_wander:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[TF-64]
Members
379 posts
13,274 battles

It's also not hard to misread a situation. I've laid smoke thinking I was covering a withdrawal and instead just caused confusion for my teammates. I watch my minimap pretty consistently but it can fail you if there is something undetected in range. Laying good team smoke can actually be a highly complicated endeavor. Even the best can screw it up. An average Joe like myself can mess it up royally trying to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[CSALT]
Members
264 posts
8 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Its always "fun" when they use smoke, let their own team completely blind and than ask for help...

Yes, I laugh amd cry everytime I see a DD smoke up and then see them ask for intelligence data.  Even had one DD driver start ranting at the BBs for not spotting for him......  You can't make this stuff up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[CUTIE]
Members
1,438 posts
6,203 battles
6 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Most DD players dont understand how their smoke can be terrible for their own team and great for the enemy team...

This.  And that comprises at least 90% of the random DD players you're going see, even in tier 10 battles.

Of course, you also have to see this from the point of view of the destroyer player.  Playing a DD while solo is incredibly thankless, and even when you do lay down a smoke which should be of great benefit to your teammates, the vast majority of them are going to have no idea how to use it.  There are few things more frustrating as a destroyer player than using one of your valuable smokes so that a teammate can break contact and retreat to heal, only to watch that player sail full speed right through it to his doom.  In that light, even pretty good top tier DD players will often use their smokes "selfishly" because they've just been burned too often in the past by other randoms...and if you're playing your destroyer well, you'll rarely have time to type out what you're doing & why for the rest of the team.

The best thing I can recommend for you is to just assume that random players from clans you've never heard of (or without clans) are going to be mediocre at best, and plan your opening routes accordingly.  Don't rush in at full speed until you have an idea of what you're up against (and what your teammates will do at first contact), and try to position yourself so that you have a clear line of sight around where your DDs are likely to waste their smokes.  Use terrain whenever possible to give you the option of turning to kite away without getting blapped in the process, anticipate where enemy torpedo salvos are most likely to come from, and if you do find yourself partnered up with a good destroyer player, do whatever you can to support him (including drawing fire to keep enemy ships spotted).

As always, it's also highly beneficial to play the other ship classes yourself.  Both to get a better understanding of the issues those players face, and to get better at predicting what they're most likely to do (both enemy and friendly).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45
[FYL]
Members
253 posts
1,476 battles
7 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

This.  And that comprises at least 90% of the random DD players you're going see, even in tier 10 battles.

Of course, you also have to see this from the point of view of the destroyer player.  Playing a DD while solo is incredibly thankless, and even when you do lay down a smoke which should be of great benefit to your teammates, the vast majority of them are going to have no idea how to use it.  There are few things more frustrating as a destroyer player than using one of your valuable smokes so that a teammate can break contact and retreat to heal, only to watch that player sail full speed right through it to his doom.  In that light, even pretty good top tier DD players will often use their smokes "selfishly" because they've just been burned too often in the past by other randoms...and if you're playing your destroyer well, you'll rarely have time to type out what you're doing & why for the rest of the team.

The best thing I can recommend for you is to just assume that random players from clans you've never heard of (or without clans) are going to be mediocre at best, and plan your opening routes accordingly.  Don't rush in at full speed until you have an idea of what you're up against (and what your teammates will do at first contact), and try to position yourself so that you have a clear line of sight around where your DDs are likely to waste their smokes.  Use terrain whenever possible to give you the option of turning to kite away without getting blapped in the process, anticipate where enemy torpedo salvos are most likely to come from, and if you do find yourself partnered up with a good destroyer player, do whatever you can to support him (including drawing fire to keep enemy ships spotted).

As always, it's also highly beneficial to play the other ship classes yourself.  Both to get a better understanding of the issues those players face, and to get better at predicting what they're most likely to do (both enemy and friendly).

Thank you for the tips.

I do have Isyaslav and the Mutsuki, but I need to practice with them more to get any decent combat effectiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×