Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VonSmallHausenn

detection abnormality ?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts

So there is always something new,even after 6k+ battles played. Random match . Was playing the Moskva, red Worcester was sitting behind island,only front guns poking out from cover, rest of ship in cover. Range about 7-8km. He was using radar,and firing me with front guns hitting only. Straight line of view ,,nothing between my ship and his front quarters poking out from behind island. Yet,,i could not see him, no detection,,could see the shells coming out from front of me,,,,(no smoke,,close range) but not the ship,,until i hit radar,,than there he was. So apparently this is normal,,as the ship center point was behind cover,so the whole ship was undetected,,even though ,the a good portion of the ship,,with the front gun turrets firing ,were poking out in plain view? 

[CSALT]
Members
269 posts
3 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

So there is always something new,even after 6k+ battles played. Random match . Was playing the Moskva, red Worcester was sitting behind island,only front guns poking out from cover, rest of ship in cover. Range about 7-8km. He was using radar,and firing me with front guns hitting only. Straight line of view ,,nothing between my ship and his front quarters poking out from behind island. Yet,,i could not see him, no detection,,could see the shells coming out from front of me,,,,(no smoke,,close range) but not the ship,,until i hit radar,,than there he was. So apparently this is normal,,as the ship center point was behind cover,so the whole ship was undetected,,even though ,the a good portion of the ship,,with the front gun turrets firing ,were poking out in plain view? 

Ships are viewable when there is a direct line of sight between tallest point of each ship.

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Ships are viewable when there is a direct line of sight between tallest point of each ship.

Interesting. So one more thing, how  radar or hydro can be exploited. Never happened to me before. I guess i`ts something,that can be extremely useful ,,when playing radar ship. Firing invisible ,at close range.......  

[CSALT]
Members
269 posts
1 minute ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Interesting. So one more thing, how  radar or hydro can be exploited. Never happened to me before. I guess i`ts something,that can be extremely useful ,,when playing radar ship. Firing invisible ,at close range.......  

Yes, but very difficult to set up and it doesn't happen often.  Kind of the same thing can happen with smoke if you're only half in and shooting.  You remain invisible as long as your tallest point is still in the smoke.  It can also be crucial for capping since it is your viewpoint that you have to keep in the cap.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Yes, but very difficult to set up and it doesn't happen often.  Kind of the same thing can happen with smoke if you're only half in and shooting.  You remain invisible as long as your tallest point is still in the smoke.  It can also be crucial for capping since it is your viewpoint that you have to keep in the cap.

Yep this.

It is silly, but it is consistently silly.

[B2P]
Members
523 posts
14,289 battles

BTW, on the flip side, if it is a 1v1 engagement, the other ship wouldn't be able to see you unless it popped its highest point out from the island or smoke.  So that spotting peculiarity does work both ways.

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts
26 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

BTW, on the flip side, if it is a 1v1 engagement, the other ship wouldn't be able to see you unless it popped its highest point out from the island or smoke.  So that spotting peculiarity does work both ways.

..yes..but couple it with radar or hydro,,and you can fire ,at least with some of your guns,,invisible...

[CSALT]
Members
269 posts

Theoretically a Nelson could fire all its guns while keeping it's viewpoint masked behind an island.  As long as no one had line of sight to the viewpoint, it would be able to fire its guns unimpeded.  Of course it could also eat torps even though it is invisible.

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts
41 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

hmm, No. Smoke is very different,,as if ship you engage is at close range, opponent going to see you too. My encounter was at close range,,had him sitting in smoke,,i would have seen him....

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts

..and actually..that what i was thinking first,, a dd sitting in smoke firing at me,radar-ed by the Worcester from  behind full cover.,and for some reason  the smoke did not get rendered.....i was that close....than i radar-ed,, and was a mighty surprise,, it was the Worcester,,half hidden behind island... I know he was hiding there,but could not understand how can he shoot me,,and yet unable to see him......

[CSALT]
Members
269 posts
39 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

hmm, No. Smoke is very different,,as if ship you engage is at close range, opponent going to see you too. My encounter was at close range,,had him sitting in smoke,,i would have seen him....

Yes, if the range is within the slightly expanded detection range when the smoked ship fires its main guns.  Otherwiae the smoke ship stays invisible even if half of it is hanging out of the smoke.  There is also that case where the ship outside the smoke is invisible and the ship inside the smoke is viewable/detected.

If the range is within your ships assured detection range they will be viewable as well regardless of line of sight or view points.

Sign in to follow this