You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ron4ja

what's with potatoe alaska drivers?

39 comments in this topic

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
275 posts
3,777 battles

just came out of a battle with two alaska boats one was only shooting at the other side of the map extreme long range the other motored to the far corner of the map and stayed there till a following bb killed it. I was hoping to see how alaskas did but i guess i will have to wait till the clowns stop driving them.

i have heard alaskas were great.

• Boring 3

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,080 posts
11,057 battles

Super testers are supposed to keep a lid on their experiences so I don't know who would have told you that.  Rumors however are saying the exact opposite, that the ship is not ready for prime time in it's current state.....

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,946 posts
4,837 battles

I cringe when I see a CC or a ST in a match with a new boat. 9/10 they end up throwing the match "for testing reasons."

TBH, it's not really their fault because wargaming tells them to test everything possible and every which way.

[PVE]
Members
487 posts
9,375 battles

I have seen just one Alaska so far and they went full spud shooting HE for the entire battle.

They switched from shooting at a near dead cruiser to a full health BB before being blown up by the BB.

Pretty awful

[EQRN]
Members
455 posts
9,511 battles
6 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I cringe when I see a CC or a ST in a match with a new boat. 9/10 they end up throwing the match "for testing reasons."

TBH, it's not really their fault because wargaming tells them to test everything possible and every which way.

My observation as well, I got into it with a Richelieu driver before French BBs were released as I thought he badly threw the game.  I mean, worse than the worst corgi/pirate/turkey driver.

• Bad 1

[WUDPS]
4,946 posts
4,837 battles
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

My observation as well, I got into it with a Richelieu driver before French BBs were released as I thought he badly threw the game.  I mean, worse than the worst corgi/pirate/turkey driver.

The event captains straight up try to die, funny part is when they don't die. 

[PVE]
Members
10,863 posts
7,982 battles
39 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

just came out of a battle with two alaska boats one was only shooting at the other side of the map extreme long range the other motored to the far corner of the map and stayed there till a following bb killed it. I was hoping to see how alaskas did but i guess i will have to wait till the clowns stop driving them.

Supertesters come in all skill levels. Also they are testing things. So firing all HE and seeing how the ship does, seems like a valid test to me. Same with firing at long range. Or kiting to test the armor. I sure lots of work goes into ST.

• Cool 1

Members
1,207 posts
7,302 battles
30 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Super testers are supposed to keep a lid on their experiences so I don't know who would have told you that.  Rumors however are saying the exact opposite, that the ship is not ready for prime time in it's current state.....

CCs have alaska as well, and have been showing it off for some time.

personally, the alaska isn't that bad from what i seen. i dont think in its current state that it is either OP or UP. 

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,059 posts
4,743 battles
3 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

personally, the alaska isn't that bad from what i seen. i dont think in its current state that it is either OP or UP. 

that's why she is not ready,if she is not OP or UP, then she needs more testing. i can't remember a single tier 9 prem that wasn't OP in some way.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,250 posts

I can't say anything about the ship, but I will say that people tend to like shooting at new/unreleased ships. When testing a new premium, I play very differently from normal, simply due to how much focus can be on you, especially if the ship is popular and eagerly anticipated. And while I also can't say anything about the skill levels of ST's, WE's, and CC's in general, I can say that they certainly have to deal with much the same issue. So, it might not be that they're potatoes (though there is a broad skill range among the testers), but something else.    

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
1,656 posts
9,247 battles
14 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

I can't say anything about the ship, but I will say that people tend to like shooting at new/unreleased ships. When testing a new premium, I play very differently from normal, simply due to how much focus can be on you, especially if the ship is popular and eagerly anticipated. And while I also can't say anything about the skill levels of ST's, WE's, and CC's in general, I can say that they certainly have to deal with much the same issue. So, it might not be that they're potatoes (though there is a broad skill range among the testers), but something else.    

Yep its hard for anyone to live, and or do a whole lot in a game when as soon as your spotted everyone starts to shoot at you, its a test ship thing.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
1 hour ago, Ron4ja said:

I wonder if supertesters we’re giving long range gunnery / dodging a go?

If it was awful, the answer prolly is that it’s not great at long range. 

[5D]
Members
45 posts
7,768 battles

The one Alaska I ran into did a pretty nasty job of waltzing around my Shiratsuyu torps before bending my DD over a chair to remind me why I hate Tier VII DDs in a Tier IX match. The ship's agility was pretty surprising given her size.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,932 posts
2,732 battles
3 hours ago, MrKillmister said:

Dan Quayle?

The thing is, Dan Quayle was right. 

[SIM]
Members
2,683 posts
4,423 battles

I ran across an Alaska tonight while in my Salem, and he spent most of his time giving me a full broadside at less than 10km. I couldn’t seem to citadel him, but I wrecked him on penetration damage alone. 

Members
5,098 posts
3,075 battles
10 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Super Testers shouldn't all be Unicum level players. You need players of all skill levels to see how a ship performs.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Where did I ever assert that they should all be unicum players to begin with?

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,989 posts
3,577 battles

Not very excited about her atm. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
2 hours ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Thanks for stating the obvious. Where did I ever assert that they should all be unicum players to begin with?

Wasn't quoting against you, just adding to what you were saying.

[--V--]
Members
504 posts
10,889 battles
17 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

I have seen just one Alaska so far and they went full spud shooting HE for the entire battle.

They switched from shooting at a near dead cruiser to a full health BB before being blown up by the BB.

Pretty awful

Some Alaska comments I've seen from testers indicate HE is the only way to go with her.   Won't know til we get her I guess.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,479 posts
30 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Watch the video Flamu just posted. You might feel a little better.

He almost immediately calls it a "battlecruiser"... :Smile-angry::Smile_facepalm:

(And then clarifies it...but damnit, I hate that term for being completely vague and useless in actual usage.)

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles
17 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

If it were a Russian ship she would have a 60% boost to her stats....not that there is any bias or anything.