You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zeus147

Why bother with tier 8

57 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
734 battles

I never post anything but this is getting a little much.     I have 2 tier 8's a clev and an akizuki.    Why must MM be like this, in the aki its not that terrible, but in the clev, just stop.

I have now had 3 games just like this today when I have been the ONLY tier 8 in the game, and for further enjoyment, after I of course get spotted just trying to move to a decent position on the map, get deleted by the yammy in one shot.  

Of course he could have shot the other ships in his class, in front of me, but no... 

This is not grinding this is straight out frustration.        

Hope the pic uploads, dont know how else to do it.

IMG_4738.HEIC

Edited by zeus147
  • Cool 1

Members
263 posts
2,927 battles

I play tier 8+ Exclusively. You're tilting take a break. You're prob overextending for your ship class. 

What exactly are you having trouble with? Finding out when to apply damage or when to relax and keep concealment? 

You dont need to constantly be firing to rack up big numbers.

In my dds, i tend to get the chunk of my damage 4+ minutes on when most of the radar cruisers are on CD or dead, for example. Dont let the numbers drive you nuts and make you tilt and throw away concealment when you shouldn't. 

Think rationally, will opening fire on this ship enable more than 1 of his team to shoot me? When it comes to cruisers (from a dd player only perspective) enable fights where he is the only one that can shoot you back whenever you can, especially in light USN cruisers. 

Edited by French_DD_Hype
  • Cool 2

[DANKY]
Members
582 posts
1,783 battles

Dunno, I have played quite a few T10 matches and the Clevelands usually contribute.  The general rules you need to follow in a Cle are *don't be the first to go anywhere, and * manage your visibility with great care.

Akizuki is just a great boat.  It's a beast at top tier and it can still raise hell in T10 games. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[WSU]
Members
127 posts
7,599 battles

8 comes before 9 and 10.

You just have to deal with it. Treat it as a challenge. You know you'll most likely die, but try to do as much dmg/help team before you go.

What else are you gonna do?

[WMD]
Members
201 posts
5,732 battles

Part of the problem with Cleveland is she's squishy, and has radar. Radar alone makes you a priority target, being squishy just makes it even more fun for the BBs. Unless you're really set on the USN CL line maybe a differetn line is a better choice for cruisers.

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
3 minutes ago, zeus147 said:

I never post anything but this is getting a little much.     I have 2 tier 8's a clev and an akizuki.    Why must MM be like this, in the aki its not that terrible, but in the clev, just stop.

I have now had 3 games just like this today when I have been the ONLY tier 8 in the game, and for further enjoyment, after I of course get spotted just trying to move to a decent position on the map, get deleted by the yammy in one shot.  

Of course he could have shot the other ships in his class, in front of me, but no... 

Part of that is just the life of a high-tier cruiser driver. It's better to kill you quick, and remove your guns (and your radar!) from the game, than spend a few minutes killing a BB, and leave you free to keep using your guns (and your radar!)

A lot of people are just going to shoot whatever removes red guns faster. A cruiser (esp. a USN or RN CA/CL that needs to get closer to do anything) is a nice compromise. Easier to hit than a DD, easier to kill than a BB.

The bad MM you're getting doesn't help, but in a T8 game, all those T8 BBs are going to be gunning for you anyway, in large part because driving a radar cruiser puts a big "Shoot Me First" sign on your back. 

The main difference for you between facing T8 and T10 BBs, is that the T8s will put you down hard, while the T10s will put you down hard, and then dance on your grave. Either way, you're dead.

• Funny 1

Members
263 posts
2,927 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

Part of that is just the life of a high-tier cruiser driver. It's better to kill you quick, and remove your guns (and your radar!) from the game, than spend a few minutes killing a BB, and leave you free to keep using your guns (and your radar!)

A lot of people are just going to shoot whatever removes red guns faster. A cruiser (esp. a USN or RN CA/CL that needs to get closer to do anything) is a nice compromise. Easier to hit than a DD, easier to kill than a BB.

The bad MM you're getting doesn't help, but in a T8 game, all those T8 BBs are going to be gunning for you anyway, in large part because driving a radar cruiser puts a big "Shoot Me First" sign on your back. 

The main difference for you between facing T8 and T10 BBs, is that the T8s will put you down hard, while the T10s will put you down hard, and then dance on your grave. Either way, you're dead.

I disagree on bad mm. No such thing as bad MM. A tier 8 DD can contribute as well as a tier 10 one. Same goes for cruisers. As a dd main, im just as scared as a Cleveland as i am a Wooster sub 10km 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 4

Members
8 posts
734 battles

The dd I have no issue with, but I only ever seem to face 10's in the clev.        Its really not fun

The terrible range just means you have to get close to fire, by then you have already been spotted and lost half health just getting into position, whether moving or trying to get cover between yourself and another ship.  

I dont think I have ever broke 50k dam in the clev.  

You wanna throw me in the mix with 8's and 9's ok fine, but 3 straight 10 games being the only 8 is a little much.

Im as casual as a player you will find, but there should be some level of enjoyment when I have a few moments of down time.

• Cool 2

[-WPG-]
Members
962 posts
3,838 battles

I wish the mods would move these T8 MM threads to a megathread like the one for radar. It's such a tired overblown subject and hardly a day goes by without another one posted. This is at least the second one today. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
2 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I wish the mods would move these T8 MM threads to a megathread like the one for radar. It's such a tired overblown subject and hardly a day goes by without another one posted. This is at least the second one today. 

Yeah, but for once this is about being a lone or one of a couple of tier 8's in a match with mostly tier 10's, a much more legitimate complaint which the MM tweak was supposed to fix and appears to not be working.

• Cool 2

Members
735 posts
4,643 battles

The T8 MM is quite bad. 

That being said your bigger problem is almost certainly that you have gone up the lines far too quickly. Unless you're a prodigy or a reroll at 658 battles you simply do not have the experience you need to consistently contribute at high tiers particularly in a ship like the Cleveland. 

Members
263 posts
2,927 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, but for once this is about being a lone or one of a couple of tier 8's in a match with mostly tier 10's, a much more legitimate complaint which the MM tweak was supposed to fix and appears to not be working.

1 minute ago, Rocketpacman said:

The T8 MM is quite bad. 

That being said your bigger problem is almost certainly that you have gone up the lines far too quickly. Unless you're a prodigy or a reroll at 658 battles you simply do not have the experience you need to consistently contribute at high tiers particularly in a ship like the Cleveland. 

Do you guys have problems being uptiered? Sounds like a personal play problem. Only a few instances where your out classed such as a z23 hydro range vs a z52s. etc. 

• Bad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
9 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

Do you guys have problems being uptiered? Sounds like a personal play problem. Only a few instances where your out classed such as a z23 hydro range vs a z52s. etc. 

Being up tiered is not the problem. The problem is more tier 10's than tier 8's & 9's combined which is happening too often. While you can still contribute when it happens almost every time you are up tiered it gets tiring. Supposedly the MM was tweaked so that tier 8's & 9's would see fewer tier 10 matches the tweak does not seem to be working.

• Cool 2

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
25 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

I disagree on bad mm. No such thing as bad MM. A tier 8 DD can contribute as well as a tier 10 one. Same goes for cruisers. As a dd main, im just as scared as a Cleveland as i am a Wooster sub 10km 

I agree, just not being very clear I guess.

When I said "the bad MM doesn't help", I was more using his perspective, and saying that it's more neutral than negative.

I have the same outlook as you, which is a big reason why I don't mind playing uptiered cruisers. A same tier (or even lower) BB will ruin your day just as easily as a higher tier one.

• Cool 1

[TURDS]
Members
44 posts
1,049 battles

Buy a tier 9? /smirk 

I like the "radar" got ya killed explanation best. People dont like radar. You got spotted and deleted because of it. 

Members
735 posts
4,643 battles
12 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

The vast majority of T8 cruisers are plainly outclassed by T9 and T10 cruisers thanks to the heals. DDs generally don't have a problem being uptiered at T8 because they can use their superior stealth to good effect. 

Constantly being T8 in T10 is an exhausting and dull experience. 

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I got the impression that the changes would reduce the occurrence of T10 matches, but actually increase the occurrence of being the sole T8 when you did get one.

Basically, the MM would put more T10s into T10 matches, leaving more T8s for T8&9 matches. But that would also mean that a match would have fewer slots to be filled by something besides a T10.

Members
263 posts
2,927 battles
2 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

The vast majority of T8 cruisers are plainly outclassed by T9 and T10 cruisers thanks to the heals. DDs generally don't have a problem being uptiered at T8 because they can use their superior stealth to good effect. 

Try not firing when more than 1 ship has an angle on you, especially in cruisers. 

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
5 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

add me ill div with you OP goes for anyone here to show you its all mental 

The tier thing, yes. The radar thing is mental too, but it's what the enemy thinks of it that gets you swatted.

Members
18,949 posts
5,333 battles
4 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

To be fair, I don't think the outclassing is horrible. I think a lot depends on your playstyle.

If you like how you can play the ship when top tier, and don't like the changes you have to make when on the bottom, then yeah, it'll be exhausting and dull.

Part of why I prefer cruisers with range. I can play them pretty much the same no matter where MM puts me.