You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mavrick101a

Kills

Kills  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the kill go to the last player to hit the ship in combat?

46 comments in this topic

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

I been playing 3 years now. I have seen way to many player sitting back and waiting to get the last shot on ships to earn the kill. This unfair to the players that pound on ships only to be ripped off with the kill going to some lame camping punk getting the last shot and kill. This really needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Mavrick101a
typoes
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
275 posts
3,777 battles

most of us kills are not as important as deleting guns pointing at our team. To wait for the farmer to complete his kill could cost us a ship.

• Cool 3

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

I think the kill should to the player with the most damage to the ship.  Clarifying this. Damage points not hits. Because, some ships do hit harder than others.

Edited by Mavrick101a
typoes and word fragmnets.

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts

The actual kill means very little.  What the game rewards is the percentage of health you remove from the target.  That is why you see leaderboards with people with 3 kills near the bottom and people with no kills at the top.  The ones at the bottom were the ones that got the final 2K kill shot while the guys at the top were the ones who took most of the red guys health pool.

That is why stats that place a larger emphasis on kills than damage are so much nonsense.

PS:  I love the way you capitalised "NO" in the survey question.  Hilarious.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 5

[MEIST]
Members
883 posts
3,171 battles

With the bad streak I have been on for like a month, I am just happy to see my team take out the reds guns.

[MEIST]
Members
883 posts
3,171 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

The actual kill means very little.  What the game rewards is the percentage of health you remove from the target.  That is why you see leaderboards with people with 3 kills near the bottom and people with no kills at the top.  The ones at the bottom were the ones that got the final 2K kill shot while the guys at the top were the ones who took most of the red guys health pool.

That is why stats that place a larger emphasis on kills than damage are so much nonsense.

:Smile_great: This right here.

[55TH]
Beta Testers
628 posts
3,286 battles
23 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

I been playing 3 years now. I have seen way to many player sitting back and waiting to get the last shot on ships to earn the kill. This unfair to the players that pound on ships only to be ripped off with the kill going to some lame camping punk getting the last shot and kill. This really needs to be fixed. 

No, it does not need to be fixed.

If you can't kill a target, get out of the way of the ones who can.  The longer a red ship is firing her guns, the more damage your team takes.

Whomever does the most damage to a ship gets the larger share of XP.  The kill is merely a bonus bit of XP.  So if you've done 60000 damage to a BB and someone gets the last thousand, you're going to get far more XP than they will.  Also, if that same BB has been targeting you, you'll get even more XP for tanking damage and potential damage.  Someone sitting in the corner getting the last hit in will get a dinky amount of XP.

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

Then why must there be achievements for kills. Why do I see greed kills on the game. I have had players shoot me on my team and run into me as well to keep me from shooting at targets. Or is it that you people responding don't play on the NA server. Help me make sense of this then.

[-WPG-]
Members
975 posts
3,913 battles

This is not a real thing. You can't wait to get the last shot, because you don't know how many people are shooting at a specific ship to time a kill shot accurately. 

• Cool 1

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

Well you are right about that. Only in operations play I see it a lot. Not some much on Random or Ranked. 

Members
19,041 posts
5,351 battles
8 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

Why do I see greed kills on the game.

Because people are stupid? Next time you see somebody doing it, and you think it's on purpose, look them up and see how good of a player they are.

I have had players shoot me on my team and run into me as well to keep me from shooting at targets.

I had that happen once. Once, in 5000 battles. In a Tier 3 match.

Have I done most of the damage, and had somebody clean up the last few k HP for the kill? Sure, it's a regular occurence.

But I do it a lot too, and since I know that I don't hold back and "steal" kills on purpose, I don't expect that everyone that "steals" kills from me is doing it on purpose either.

As others have said, taking red guns off the map as quickly as possible is priority one.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
19,041 posts
5,351 battles
8 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

This is not a real thing. You can't wait to get the last shot, because you don't know how many people are shooting at a specific ship to time a kill shot accurately. 

Not only that, but even if you know how many are shooting, you don't know how much damage they're going to do. They could whiff completely, or Dev Strike.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles

The only thing more frustrating than a kill-secure because my guns have not yet reloaded is when I've given away most of my HP pool (and sometimes all of it) in a duel with a technically superior ship, only for someone to smack the target out of existence an instant before my killing blow arrives (or the target floods/burns out). On one recent occasion, the torps that would have hit went on to do a teamkill. So I sacrificed my ship for literally less than nothing.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

Finally someone that understands me.

2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only thing more frustrating than a kill-secure because my guns have not yet reloaded is when I've given away most of my HP pool (and sometimes all of it) in a duel with a technically superior ship, only for someone to smack the target out of existence an instant before my killing blow arrives (or the target floods/burns out).

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
230 posts
8,885 battles

when I am in a BB and I see a low health target, I actually think a bit before wasting a salvo into it. because I don't want to waste 30s reload on something that is almost dead anyway. In fact, if I land a big salvo on cruiser or dd as BB, I encourage my teammates to finish it for me because then I can shoot at other ships to get more damage. Of course, some important targets like radar cruisers or low health dd about to get away or are smoking up, I will take shot. The ultimate goal of the game is to win, so I don't care much about getting kills personally, just do whatever I feel is best for the team to win at given situation.

• Cool 4

[PHD]
[PHD]
Beta Testers
61 posts
1,637 battles

That make sense. I know damage stats are good. I guess kills are really nothing to worry about. 

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
202 posts
5,769 battles
47 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

most of us kills are not as important as deleting guns pointing at our team. To wait for the farmer to complete his kill could cost us a ship.

This is exactly it, the less guns shooting at us the better. Focused fire is the winner, so the more of your team shooting at "your" kill the better, it means you can move on to damaging other targets.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
53 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

It’s not kill stealing, it’s kill securing!!!

More seriously, it is vitally important to put down a wounded ship before it can run, hide, heal up and/or get another salvo off. Focus fire wins games. And you are rewarded with most of the XP.

If you think it is so easy to camp at the back and just snipe kills, go try it. See if it is a better payoff in terms of XP or wins. Be objective, and let us know how you go.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only thing more frustrating than a kill-secure because my guns have not yet reloaded is when I've given away most of my HP pool (and sometimes all of it) in a duel with a technically superior ship, only for someone to smack the target out of existence an instant before my killing blow arrives (or the target floods/burns out).

Perhaps - but in the same situation I would much rather my team kill the enemy before s/he gets one last salvo off and kill me. Living longer is much more important.

[ONAVY]
Members
870 posts
6,692 battles

I hit a Conqueror for 90k+ damage and a Yamato for 90k+ damage and did not kill them in the same battle in my Midway....but man it is nice dealing blows that big even if I don't get the kill...and we lost that match to boot. Only thing you have some measure of control over is dealing damage...just keep handing it out and don't sweat the small shite. And I did finish second on my team for damage dealt that match but with ZERO kills.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Living longer is much more important.

True, but sometimes you are backed into one of those inescapable corners and there is only one possible outcome, and it's frustrating when you can't take their scalp with you as you leave.

[FML]
Members
1,921 posts
10,605 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

True, but sometimes you are backed into one of those inescapable corners and there is only one possible outcome, and it's frustrating when you can't take their scalp with you as you leave.

That’s true. The 10 flags are nice :-p

[-AGW-]
Members
680 posts
9,863 battles

Giving the kill to the player with most damage would create a situation where fewer players would shoot at below 50% health ships since it might not get them a kill. The way it works presently gives an incentive to everyone to finish off opponents. I think we all profit from that in the end.

Edited by NashW8
  • Cool 2

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
374 posts
4,895 battles
31 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

Then why must there be achievements for kills. Why do I see greed kills on the game. I have had players shoot me on my team and run into me as well to keep me from shooting at targets. Or is it that you people responding don't play on the NA server. Help me make sense of this then.

I'm working pretty damn hard for that Kraken. I'm carrying my team, I have an unreal damage total, my HP pool is in the "your elf is dying" category and there's a fricken destroyer spotting me for the two island humping cruisers that I don't have the angle on.

When I get that "participation" medal for kills it doesn't hold up for the fact that our team lost on hulls or cap.

I don't care who gets the kill. It's less damage that my team is getting. Now, go cap A while I swim back to port.