You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Mission Critical Monday - Standard Battles

16 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
949 posts
6,326 battles

Image result for navy cruisers

*pictured - USS Cleveland and USS Montpelier on combat patrol for Cruiser Division 12 near Truk in March 1943*

When you are selected for a standard battle, do you go after the enemy fleet or protect your own base?

Some players feel it is important to repel the enemy attack on your base by playing defensively and waiting for the enemy to show their hand first.

However, others feel the best defense is a strong and aggressive offense that pushes past the enemy fleet and going straight for their cap.

In standard battles, do you hold back and defend your home or take the fight to the enemy fleet?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#missioncriticalmonday

#anchorsaweigh

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles

Standard battle is more of a kill the enemy type of battle but the objectives are still important. The old draw system should come back to standard battle, some times neither side deserves the win.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles

A few important guidelines to follow:

1. Do not lemming to their base.

2. Set up a stop line initially - If I'm a dd, I'm going no further than say F line and no further. If you want go past that, be my guess. 

3. Do not go down the middle of the Twin Brothers map in the first 10 minutes of the game. "I've seen it done in Youtube" reason is not a good enough reason. If you're Flamu, then go ahead. Otherwise it's asinine. 

• Cool 2

[RST]
Members
337 posts
7,260 battles

I'm heading out to attack, but, I tend to shift to the side with fewest ships of my type.  If when things shake out that shows a lemming train going the opposite way I am I'll hold up near base, find a defensive position, ad try to delay that side while calling for assistance.  If I end up having support I'll push out a bit more trying not to overextend.

• Cool 1

Members
223 posts
16,417 battles

TBH I do the exact same thing as I normally do in domination, the only difference is that I dont sail too far away from base if there isnt a ship closeby defending it.

Having an enemy ship ninja cap your home base is the worst experience for everyone except the capper, including the winning team.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,028 posts
10,708 battles

Standard Battle is, in my opinion a terrible mode and I am pleased that given it's less frequent the name is a bit of a misnomer.

Pushing up in this game is heavily penalized by the mechanics, without a central cap incentive to encourage it Standard Battle degenerates into 'the team that camps hardest wins' or following a lemming train 'the team with a killjoy DD who sneaks into the cap for a win with 23/24 players still in battle wins'. Both are awful.

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,497 posts
5,931 battles

image.png.b656a5d8be5a6d3b31890230f631cf80.png

Repelling the enemies while keeping up the offensives on a flank does not conflict with each other, particularly for ships that have a long effective range or can afford to stay close to the center of the map. One of the most detrimental errors that players make in standard battles is that when they push through an enemy flank, they continue through the flank and sail toward the enemy spawn regardless of the rest of the battle. While I can't object that for certain ships (IJN destroyers and Russian dedicated gunboats) that can be a viable strategy, for most of the ships in the game, it is always paramount to strike the balance between destroying the enemy push and preventing friendly lines from collapsing. Only when both flanks are secured can crossfire and vision control be achieved against the enemy, and preventing the same tactics being employed by the enemy.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,989 posts
3,577 battles

Honesty it's an awful gamemode with no direction for the average player and team. This means Standard Battle largely ends up being a comedy or errors and team on team salt.

The best way to win is to defend because it gives you the better positioning. 

The less we see of it the better.

• Cool 2

Members
741 posts
4,697 battles

Pushing is almost always a mistake. Your team just gets kited and worn down for no gain. Standard battles are terrible. Please get rid of them. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I hate standard mode BUT when in it I just hang near the base to defend.

Which map you get has a lot to do with how much you will enjoy a standard battle. Neighbors standard battle for example plays very much like a Neighbors domination battle.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Which map you get has a lot to do with how much you will enjoy a standard battle. Neighbors standard battle for example plays very much like a Neighbors domination battle.

Yeah Neighbors isn't too bad but overall I just dislike the mode be it PVP or PVE. Domination is just more fun IMO.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,714 posts
18,486 battles
2 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

A few important guidelines to follow:

1. Do not lemming to their base.

2. Set up a stop line initially - If I'm a dd, I'm going no further than say F line and no further. If you want go past that, be my guess. 

3. Do not go down the middle of the Twin Brothers map in the first 10 minutes of the game. "I've seen it done in Youtube" reason is not a good enough reason. If you're Flamu, then go ahead. Otherwise it's asinine. 

1&2: Agree 100%.  I'm all for moving out to intercept the enemy roughly halfway across the map.  If your idea of defense is to camp your base, you leave yourself no space into which you can fall back.  But if you intercept the enemy about halfway across the map, you have plenty of room for falling back, if need be.  And honestly, I can't stomach playing on teams that want to just camp base in a Standard battle.

3: I was thinking more Flambass than Flamu.  There are a number of videos where Flambass, either alone or in a 2 ship div, goes middle on Twin Brothers and completely screws up the enemy team.  Sometimes, because the enemy team wasn't expecting him to go middle and he blows through the mid and catches them in the rear.  And sometimes because the enemy did expect him, but he's just so damned cagey that he'll dodge all their torps and keep them tied up at the mouth of the channel, while the rest of his team overruns the two flanks.

Honestly, it's still not a good strategy for anyone other than a super unicum.  And a huge reason why I am no fan of this map.  The channel on Two Brothers is a kind of Darwinesque trap.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,714 posts
18,486 battles
36 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah Neighbors isn't too bad but overall I just dislike the mode be it PVP or PVE. Domination is just more fun IMO.

Honestly, I personally prefer Standard as long as my team isn't being dopy and camping base.  The thing I dislike about Domination is that it forces you to fight at very specific map locations.  And worse, if you're a DD player, the way you play Domination maps gets dictated to you by the damned map and team pressure.  I prefer to be able to go wherever I want to go and probe for weaknesses on the enemy team when I'm playing stealthy DDs.  But on Domination maps, it's just "Thou shalt go to a cap or else suffer the wrath of thy teammates!

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
759 posts
12,304 battles

Anything but a DD, I like to wait for the reds to come to me.

In a DD I like to move to a flank and work to spread out their advance with torpedo strikes. The more I can spread them out the less focus-fire they have to attack anything they can hit. In those casess, my game often consists of torpedo launch, long pause, another torpedo launch, defend against pushing enemy DDs, use guns when safe to do so, stay out of sight, rinse, repeat.

Respects,

Am