Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Paulberios

Power Creep

19 comments in this topic

[BBP]
Members
30 posts
3,458 battles

I have to say I'm kind of scratching my head a bit with some recent changes. I don't think it's a secret that IJN gunboats are rediculously OP. Kitakaze/Haragumo with their improved pen outgun Tashkent and Khabarovsk vs pretty much everything. With IFHE they cross the 32mm threshold and unleash unbridled hell upon everyone. I played Kitakaze and couldn't believe what I was doing to people with 5.9 conceal, and 12km shima torps. Yet, we swing the nerf bat at YY which is already absolete next to a T9 IJN DD. Khabarovsk with IFHE can only get up to 28mm of pen and with 130mm guns! What's the point of having larger guns if some 100mm pea shooter can out gun you in every way? 

My suggestions: 

1. Give the YY back her firepower and swing that bat where it NEEDS to go (radar in general) 

2. Either remove the 1/4 shell pen value from IJN gunboats, or significantly increase their reload time to balance out their DPM. 

3. Concealment should be increased to bring IJN gunboats more in line with other gunboats (Soviet). I believe the Kitakaze is the most powerful DD in the game at present. And its not even close. I knife fight lite cruisers and win. Problem! (Atlanta and Seattle so far, havn't tried a Worcester out of fear). You have probably the second highest DPM gunboat in the game (with IFHE) with 5.9 conceal making her a cap specilist AND shimakaze torpedos. I mean nobody thought this might be OP? There's not a destroyer in the game that can compete with this.

4. Since Haragumo and Khabarovsk are still taking damage from BB AP (should add Kitakaze and Tashkent to this), would it not be logical to make them suseptable to PA deep water torps as well? 

If I'm crazy let me know. Just sharing my own thoughts. 

[BBP]
Members
30 posts
3,458 battles

Simply stating that her concealment is competive with DDs that are outclassed in terms of firepower. YY (now), Z52, Gearing, Groso etc. Nothing can outgun these things except anither IJN DD (excluding trashcan and Khaba at range) 

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles
11 minutes ago, Paulberios said:

Simply stating that her concealment is competive with DDs that are outclassed in terms of firepower. YY (now), Z52, Gearing, Groso etc. Nothing can outgun these things except anither IJN DD (excluding trashcan and Khaba at range) 

It isn't just what they can do stock, I have seen videos where using the Yamamoto captain and specific builds they got the reload down to 1.2 seconds. These things were a bad thing for the game but Wargaming seems to want to experiment with changing the game from a team based tactical shooter to a fast paced push the button as fast as you can game.

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Wargaming seems to want to experiment with changing the game from a team based tactical shooter to a fast paced push the button as fast as you can game.

We have a winner! 

No skill involved kids, just hold down LMB and spam away.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,203 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

We have a winner! 

I think that idea is a bad one, it alienates their established player base and is trying to attract kids who are too busy playing fortnite which isn't going to happen.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,946 posts
4,837 battles
30 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

It isn't just what they can do stock, I have seen videos where using the Yamamoto captain and specific builds they got the reload down to 1.2 seconds. These things were a bad thing for the game but Wargaming seems to want to experiment with changing the game from a team based tactical shooter to a fast paced push the button as fast as you can game.

Arsenal was hilarious with three of them...

[WOLF7]
Members
10,361 posts
29 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

We have a winner! 

The old player base isn't working out, they are shopping around for a new one....:Smile_trollface:

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles
7 minutes ago, awiggin said:

The old player base isn't working out, they are shopping around for a new one....:Smile_trollface:

Sadly I'm seeing more and more games shift away from the knowledge and skill approach and try to satisfy the clickers. 

Saw some clown in a Cossack the other day pop smoke and sit in it just spamming away with all four turrets while the bots came right in and ran him over. Then he acted surprised that they could see him through his smoke, even when they were right on top of him.

[WUDPS]
4,946 posts
4,837 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

Sadly I'm seeing more and more games shift away from the knowledge and skill approach and try to satisfy the clickers. 

Saw some clown in a Cossack the other day pop smoke and sit in it just spamming away with all four turrets while the bots came right in and ran him over. Then he acted surprised that they could see him through his smoke, even when they were right on top of him.

HE spam is the "easy button" for people with no skill...

• Cool 1

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

HE spam is the "easy button" for people with no skill...

Sad thing is we've now got entire lines of ships devoted to doing just that. 

[WUDPS]
4,946 posts
4,837 battles

Wanna know why Roma doesn't have SAP shells and has HE...

They want people who are morons to buy her.

NO HE = SKY IS FALLING. Hell look at the threads before the RN cruisers arrived.

[WMD]
Members
202 posts
5,769 battles
3 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Likely someone who doesn't play DDs learning the hard way how to play them...

[5BS]
Members
5,030 posts

Meh, usually I crapon IJN DD's, but the gunboats are fine IMO. They are good checks against static BB's; able to get close enough then sit like a fart and keep them honest. Their big size makes them easy torp wall targets in smoke and slow for Radar equipped cruisers. At best, they might need a torp reload nerf to keep them as gun focused as possible (the same way the Khab has essentially suicidal use torps).

And the Khab is still a much more potent gunboat DD give it's laser accuracy and ludicrous-speed + 50mm belt armor that means there's a good chance even IF you hit it, it will receive no damage anyway.

Edited by _RC1138

[SRBL]
Members
133 posts

While this was purely anecdotal, in the first game I played with the Haragumo in the recent Turkey Event as a Turkey I scored a Kraken and near the end I was trying to get killed since we were up 8 to 2. I did over 100K in damage and I may have done more but I was laughing too hard at how trolly fun it was. 

"Please kill Turkey! He cant even see right now from the tears!"

Edited by Tom_Greg

[BBP]
Members
30 posts
3,458 battles

I am NOT a DD player. It is by far my worst line. I got 100k XP in Kitakaze in a few hours on Sat and rarely out of the top 1 or 2 for XP per game. It is almost soulless 

• Cool 1

Members
1,141 posts
7,111 battles
2 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Likely someone who doesn't play DDs learning the hard way how to play them...

The problem with essentially giving away a tier 8 DD. The DD class itself does require some skill and knowledge of vision mechanics to play, even more so to effectively gunboat DD now that stealth firing is no longer an option. 

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
357 posts
4,841 battles
1 hour ago, Paulberios said:

1. Give the YY back her firepower and swing that bat where it NEEDS to go (radar in general) 

I second your opinions stated in this post

Sign in to follow this