You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Questionable decision making in the Black Ships collection

44 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,167 battles

So I bought the Black ships collection this weekend. I like the black cammo for each ship and I like that if you already have those ships you would get the missions to get 2500 doubloons. I already had all the ships so I was prepared to grind to get the doubloons and than I noticed the mission requires you to play the REGULAR ships to get the doubloon rewards. The decision making here is questionable AT BEST. When you buy new toys from the premium shop what is the first thing you want to do? You want to play with those toys...the doubloon missions should be tied to playing the black ships, not the regular ships we already have. Just a small complaint, maybe a quick fix can happen to address this.

The black cammo does look spiffy though.....thank you Wargaming.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,179 posts
8,498 battles

Honestly I am amazed that people were willing to buy ships that were identical in every way except for color.  I mean, I ended up with a ton of ARP ships and the Southern Dragon but didn't pay for them.  Don't get me wrong, I have no issue buying premium ships in game, and I believe I have ALL of the purchasable premiums.  But there is no way I would repurchase the ships simply because they were black.  

No criticism intended, just expressing my surprise that this was popular.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,092 posts
12,044 battles

Playing the original ship once makes sense, confirming that hey do indeed have the ship, but 10 times.... thats just dumb.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
9 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

So I bought the Black ships collection this weekend. I like the black cammo for each ship and I like that if you already have those ships you would get the missions to get 2500 doubloons. I already had all the ships so I was prepared to grind to get the doubloons and than I noticed the mission requires you to play the REGULAR ships to get the doubloon rewards. The decision making here is questionable AT BEST. When you buy new toys from the premium shop what is the first thing you want to do? You want to play with those toys...the doubloon missions should be tied to playing the black ships, not the regular ships we already have. Just a small complaint, maybe a quick fix can happen to address this.

The black cammo does look spiffy though.....thank you Wargaming.

If you have both ships, you ought to be able to use either one of them.  WG could have utilized the original ship to unlock the mission instead of the black one.  That way those of us (me included) who just have the blacks couldn't even activate the missions.  You could then be free to get the doubloons with either ship without "Black ship only" folks getting a reward intended just for original ship owners.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
28 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

While I share the sentiment, if you really like a ship, buying a premium version of that same ship does a few things:

1. Allows you to essentially get the Daily Win modifier twice on the same ship
  2. Gives you a version of a ship you love that also has premium benefits
Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[HINON]
Supertester
19,566 posts
13,172 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

If you have both ships, you ought to be able to use either one of them.  WG could have utilized the original ship to unlock the mission instead of the black one.

That I can agree with. Good solution.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,167 battles
11 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Honestly I am amazed that people were willing to buy ships that were identical in every way except for color.  I mean, I ended up with a ton of ARP ships and the Southern Dragon but didn't pay for them.  Don't get me wrong, I have no issue buying premium ships in game, and I believe I have ALL of the purchasable premiums.  But there is no way I would repurchase the ships simply because they were black.  

LOL I can understand that, honestly I kinda wish I didn't buy them but when I am home alone, bored, I make bad decisions. I bought the Alexander Ovetchkin Tsar package a week or so ago so Wargaming got me for $300 this month lol. I swear I am a crackhead when it comes to this game....ugh. 

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,167 battles
6 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

While I share the sentiment, if you really like a ship, buying a premium version of that same ship does a few things:

1. Gives you a somewhat fast-tracked captain, if you "go large" on your bundle

Fast tracked captain, can you clarify that for me I think I missed that part when I was browsing what was in the package.

[H_]
Members
908 posts

Another Gimmick..........  Too many gimmicks and that is a bad sign guys.  New maps, campaigns or modes is what a first world game corporation produces first.............and then, they add gimmicks to pay for it.....

That's a lot of money Pilgrim.  I haven't spent that amount in 30 years of gaming in a year............. 

I like the black ships...............just not the cost.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
4 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Fast tracked captain, can you clarify that for me I think I missed that part when I was browsing what was in the package.

10 pointer, I think.  Each ship comes with one.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

Having just looked at the ships, I should fix this. Most Premium ships come with a 3-point or 10-point captain to boost you up. It seems the Help-I-Accidentally-Turned-My-Brightness-to-Zero ships don't come with captains.

Interesting, perhaps WG think they've been a little over the top with handing-out captains.

[SOFOP]
Members
339 posts
4,368 battles

Pretty sure it was easier to program it this way, than it would have been to make it look at your account after you buy the black version, check to see if you have the normal, and then give you the mission.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,167 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

10 pointer, I think.  Each ship comes with one.

I need to go back and look, I think they were all 0 point captains. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,566 posts
13,172 battles
6 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Interesting, perhaps WG think they've been a little over the top with handing-out captains.

^

I have more 10 point event captains than I know what to do with.

I got one Black ship, Blatago, it came with a 0 point captain that I promptly threw overboard.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Blatago

LOL.

Also, Blirpitz, Blasashio, and the Black Mass (you could call it the Blackachusetts, I suppose, but Black Mass sounds more evil).

It does seem odd to make you play the original, but some people will do anything for bonus doubloons. I suppose they thought it would whet the appetite for the black ship even more when you finally played the games out.

Then again, you have nearly 70 days in which to play 10 battles before the reward period expires. If you're patient enough to wait, it's not a problem; if you have to have it NOW, just play 10 games in co-op and YOLO your way to riches. Surely that's not that hard.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,180 battles
53 minutes ago, Lert said:

^

I have more 10 point event captains than I know what to do with.

I got one Black ship, Blatago, it came with a 0 point captain that I promptly threw overboard.

I have 9 10Pt Gallant Captains just from Christmas crates from last year. Never mind the whole pile of 10Pt ARP Captains I'll never use. I feel your pain.

[SALVO]
Members
17,651 posts
18,478 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

LOL.

Also, Blirpitz, Blasashio, and the Black Mass (you could call it the Blackachusetts, I suppose, but Black Mass sounds more evil).

It does seem odd to make you play the original, but some people will do anything for bonus doubloons. I suppose they thought it would whet the appetite for the black ship even more when you finally played the games out.

Then again, you have nearly 70 days in which to play 10 battles before the reward period expires. If you're patient enough to wait, it's not a problem; if you have to have it NOW, just play 10 games in co-op and YOLO your way to riches. Surely that's not that hard.

Honestly, I'd suggest trying to get the battles in sooner rather than later so that one doesn't forget to get it done.  It shouldn't be that difficult.  Just play 1 battle per day with each of the 4 ships, and in 10 days, you'd have it all done and have the doubloons.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,217 posts
6,516 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

When you buy new toys from the premium shop what is the first thing you want to do? You want to play with those toys...

Well, if everybody played the NEW ones, WG might become "concerned" that there are too many of them on the server, and yank them, a la Musashi and Kronshtadt.

1 hour ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

2. Gives you a version of a ship you love that also has premium benefits

All of the original ships in this black ship arrangement are premium ships.

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles

The Black ship sale is nothing but a ploy to earn you 250 doubloon per battle up to 10 battles max. The price of the bundle is subsidized by you spending $38.39 for Tirpitz B. So for that you get 2500 Doubloons. 

2500 doubloon is about $11.575 @ .00463 rate.  minus the $38.39 spent equals: $26.82 is the price of the Black Tirpitz. B.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
16 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

I have 9 10Pt Gallant Captains just from Christmas crates from last year.

I can imagine the algorithm now, like a character from Tron. "Here, have a Gal... oh never mind, here's a port slot, a captain and some doubloons." 

NINE times, though? They must REALLY have wanted you to have that ship.

[SALVO]
Members
17,651 posts
18,478 battles
Just now, IronMike11B4O said:

I have 9 10Pt Gallant Captains just from Christmas crates from last year. Never mind the whole pile of 10Pt ARP Captains I'll never use. I feel your pain.

I have quite a few myself.   But I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm thinking that all starting captains maybe should START with 10 skill points, rather than 0.  Sometimes, people wonder about whether differences in amounts of captain skills between newer players and veteran players is fair (or whatever).  And I'm left wondering if this gap in the skill of ships' captains would be lessened if starting captains always started at 10 skill points rather than 0.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,180 battles
31 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can imagine the algorithm now, like a character from Tron. "Here, have a Gal... oh never mind, here's a port slot, a captain and some doubloons." 

NINE times, though? They must REALLY have wanted you to have that ship.

Yeah considering I bought one package and had another gifted so 2 packages 9 Gallants.

[DENY]
Members
249 posts
6,941 battles
2 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Honestly I am amazed that people were willing to buy ships that were identical in every way except for color. 

For many premium ships, I'd much rather have a duplicate ship than doubloons. I have 75,000 doubloons, I own every ship that can currently be purchased, except the Dreadnought and the Vanguard.

More doubloons is nice, but ships are better. Like many others, I work to ensure I have a cadre of trained captains. The Duplicate Black ships give me the option to move my Captains, free of a respec, to Black version and get an extra 50%-200% XP bonus, which directly affects the Free Captain XP. Stack your flags correctly on with these extra bonus' and you are getting 50,000+ more XP.

Those 200% days are huge Free Captain XP days and Tier VIII ships are great for generating that XP.