You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mcgibe

Black friday crates or Christmas crates

25 comments in this topic

[TASH]
Members
55 posts
2,867 battles

I just wanted to ask if I should buy the black Friday containers or wait for the christmas containers.

I have never spent any money in world of warships and want my purchases to be worth it. I don't even know if the christmas containers on NA will be any good.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,592 posts
13,627 battles

If you want to control spending, wait for X-mas crates and watch forum reactions from players with 2-3 years in game

Most of us seem to spend more than we planned - maybe price out a few ships and put a price on them that would make you happy … a red line so to speak

Edited by Commander_367

[HINON]
Supertester
19,636 posts
13,211 battles

The black friday crates only drop the Black ships IIRC, the Christmas crates will likely have a much wider variety of ships they can drop.

• Cool 1

Members
579 posts
3,139 battles

If you want the ships offered in the black crates buy them now. Christmas crates can give you something like 70+ ships so chances are exceedingly high you'll get something you wont really play.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,114 posts
12,053 battles

Really depends on what you want out of those crates. Christmas crates will have more possible ships but I think the drop rates might be better in the Black Friday crates (can't really know for sure) but they are limited to the 4 black ships.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
596 posts
5,962 battles

Almost went for some black friday crates but with christmas so close I decided to wait. A lot of premiums they no longer sell that I want.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,787 posts
5,374 battles

I just want to be clear that the chance of winning a ship is low. So you shouldn't get your hopes up that you will get what you want. the crates are like playing a slot machine sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. 

[TASH]
Members
55 posts
2,867 battles

Just watched last years christmas crate openings. I'll probably hold off on the black friday containers and see if I get lucky with the crappy standard ones. Although I'll probably have to buy the christmas crates myself because I never receive any gifts from my friends

[ADR]
[ADR]
Members
46 posts
5,853 battles

I just got a Mass B from one the crappy ones as odds have it.  I'ts the only one of the 4 that I already have, and as a bonus got the 250x10 missions.  

I'm also going to wait for Christmas for any crate buying.  I like the idea of a wider variety.  Assuming by then I have enough FXP by then and I don't have to spend my money on doubloons.

[90THD]
Members
143 posts
3,741 battles

FYI

Drop rates for Black ships are excellent

Ships are Great

Ships are gorgeous, black with silver/red trim

I think the Black Crates are worth it !

Regards

JM

[WOLF5]
Members
31 posts
2,868 battles

Just ask yourself, do you really want that 4 ships in a sleek black camo?

If yes, a 24 pack will certainly get you all 4.

If not, Christmas crates will get you more goodies.

[ROCCO]
Beta Testers
7 posts
3,421 battles

I already got 4 black ships...it look amazing...I open 24 crates just got 3 black ships without Tirpitz B and the I try 1 more time just 1 crate...I said...wargaming you better RNG giving me that Tirpitz B...*open* Tirpitz B...wow...okay that...thanks

[TASH]
Members
55 posts
2,867 battles
2 minutes ago, DBoy_Min said:

Just ask yourself, do you really want that 4 ships in a sleek black camo?

If yes, a 24 pack will certainly get you all 4.

If not, Christmas crates will get you more goodies.

I don't have a single one of the ships in the containers, whether their the black version or not. I feel frustrated because I just completed the chain of combat missions for the containers and didn't get a single black ship out of any of them.

I just took a look at everyone else's results and feel cheated.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,939 posts
10,404 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

the Christmas crates will likely have a much wider variety of ships they can drop.

Not if WoWs secretly reduces the % of drop rate, so far into the time line ever since last xmas, I see my RNGodness disappeared. I got no luck with the Brit crates/Great8 crates/Halloween crates or any Premium crates; and now confused and mixed feeling about spending the $$$ for any crates.

Due to the above reason, I did not spend on the BlackFriday crates

Edited by ObiphanKenobi

[CUTIE]
WoWS Community Contributors, Beta Testers
92 posts
5,505 battles

If I were you, I'd personally wait for the Christmas Crates. You'll likely get better items that you might be happy about than what is present in the Black Friday Containers.

But that's just me of course. 

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
352 posts
3,938 battles

The first Years Christmas Crates could have duplicates and were worth.

2nd year of Christmas crates had no duplicates unless you already had all other ships in the pool. It was great

if WG doesn't change from the same format as 2nd year it would be ideal.  I am curious how they will handle the doubloons though with the policy change and duplicate ships from Christmas Crates.  In my experience with some of the $5 crates I had gotten up to 6 ships in a 20x set iirc the worst pull I got with the 20x I did last year was 3-4.  The more Premiums you have from one year narrows the pool down for the next (assuming they keep the same format)  It was better overall for me for the Christmas crates as the RNG was quite generous.

Overall the Value is pretty good for Christmas.  I would let others pull first though and see if rates are the Same for this Christmas.  

[DANKY]
Members
591 posts
1,800 battles

The Black Friday crates have a very good chance of dropping something you want.  The only miss is Asashio, a meme and very hard to use effectively.  Atago is one of the most solid premium ships in the game, and it's even better after the recent buff.  Mass and Tirpitz are both fun than effective in competitive terms, but word has it they are both really fun to play.  That's 4/5 solid ships, and one truly great ship, with a decent drop rate.  I bought six crates and got a Mass (along with some camo and 4x 12k free xp, which is useful for me). 

Only gamble if you want to gamble of course. 

[WAG]
Members
63 posts
4,518 battles

This really depends on what you want.

Black Friday gives you a focused chance on a small selection of ships.

X-mas crates gives you chance on a wide variety of ships - so the ships you get might not be ones you want or like how they play.  

Remember, with X-mas crates, you could get anything from tier 3 to tier 9 in any class.  Black Friday is only tier 8 and very limited selection but you can easily learn about the ships and see if you'd like them.

[DENY]
Members
249 posts
6,961 battles
2 hours ago, ksix said:

If you want the ships offered in the black crates buy them now. Christmas crates can give you something like 70+ ships so chances are exceedingly high you'll get something you wont really play.

Unless you already own all the Premium ships that can be purchased.

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
643 posts
8,262 battles

I decided to buy one Black Friday crate and I got the Atago B.  That is one of two  Black ships I would like to get, the other being the Tirpitz B.  So, I did GREAT on my one Black Friday crate.  I usually wait for Christmas as you can be sure your $5 Is returned at least 2 fold, usually much more!  :Smile_great:

[LOU1]
Members
3,174 posts
8,432 battles
1 hour ago, FlashTX1 said:

I decided to buy one Black Friday crate and I got the Atago B.  That is one of two  Black ships I would like to get, the other being the Tirpitz B.  So, I did GREAT on my one Black Friday crate.  I usually wait for Christmas as you can be sure your $5 Is returned at least 2 fold, usually much more!  :Smile_great:

Atago B must be the flavor of the hour.  Bought a crate after reading your post and got an Atago B.  Wish it had the mission for Doubloons with it because I have the regular Atago.  The 6 crates I bought on Friday with a 30% coupon cost $21 and gave me Free XP, signals, and Massachusetts B - a ship I wanted (the MA) but couldn't bring myself to spend the cash on.

The Atago B looks so good that I may actual drive it and learn how to play IJN cruisers.

[BUOY]
Members
224 posts
8,421 battles
36 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Atago B must be the flavor of the hour.  Bought a crate after reading your post and got an Atago B.  Wish it had the mission for Doubloons with it because I have the regular Atago.  The 6 crates I bought on Friday with a 30% coupon cost $21 and gave me Free XP, signals, and Massachusetts B - a ship I wanted (the MA) but couldn't bring myself to spend the cash on.

The Atago B looks so good that I may actual drive it and learn how to play IJN cruisers.

It does, you just have to play a battle (any mode other than Training Room) in the B to unlock the mission.

Edited by lloyd1701

[LOU1]
Members
3,174 posts
8,432 battles
6 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

It does, you just have to play a battle (any mode other than Training Room) in the B to unlock the mission.

Nice!  It was late and I was recovering from being a Turkey Shoot Turkey, so I only logged in to open the crate.  Now the long wait to get home after work...

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
6,547 battles

Christmas crates give you more of your moneys worth. You'll get a crap ton of economic flags, premium time and higher chance for premiums to drop. 

giphy.gif.ab294dd3eb3b88211129bf696d425fd9.gif

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
643 posts
8,262 battles
On 12/2/2018 at 11:17 AM, MONKEYBOMBS1945 said:

Christmas crates give you more of your moneys worth. You'll get a crap ton of economic flags, premium time and higher chance for premiums to drop. 

giphy.gif.ab294dd3eb3b88211129bf696d425fd9.gif

I just bought 5 $1 Christmas crates and I was quite disappointed with the results.  I don't think 2 camo's are worth $1, also I got signal flags that I already have over 100 each of, I did get more than $1 worth of these flags, but not what I needed.  So, the Black Friday crates worked out much better for me.