You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rabin69

Sometimes you just gotta know when to stop.....

12 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,895 battles

And either run away or go dark.

Just thought I'd share these two snippets from today's games.

Example1: After deleting the rest of my team at B, the DM insisted on chasing down my poor lil shima. He'd just blown his radar, why not slow and wait for it to come back up? Chasing hell for leather behind a dd, will get you torped eventually. Turn and drop off detection...is the red mist so hard to get out of your eyes. There was enough time to cap and win. We ended up winning and I got a nice solo warrior badge.

Example 2: The enemy team controlled most of the caps and was leading in points, being close to 900 for a long time. We pulled it back, but with under a two minutes to go their lead was too great. I thought we were going to lose, as all the Biz had to do was stall points on d. Our remaining Mass, sailed into the c cap to try and turn it. All the Biz had to do was head south, just run. So what does he do, sail into c. He lost the battle of the secondary monster bbs and we won.

Thankfully I was on the winning side in both, but OMG how many times do you see this, especially on a weekend. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Sigh.

PS. My apologies for the video quality and lack of good editing, I am a noob at this stuff.

Edited by Rabin69
missing word
  • Cool 1

Members
2,586 posts
5,591 battles
1 hour ago, Rabin69 said:

And either run away or go dark.

Just thought I'd share these two snippets from today's games.

Example1: After the rest of my team at B, the DM insisted on chasing down my poor lil shima. He'd just blown his radar, why not slow and wait for it to come back up? Chasing hell for leather behind a dd, will get you torped eventually. Turn and drop off detection...is the red mist so hard to get out of your eyes. There was enough time to cap and win. We ended up winning and I got a nice solo warrior badge.

Example 2: The enemy team controlled most of the caps and was leading in points, being close to 900 for a long time. We pulled it back, but with under a two minutes to go their lead was too great. I thought we were going to lose, as all the Biz had to do was stall points on d. Our remaining Mass, sailed into the c cap to try and turn it. All the Biz had to do was head south, just run. So what does he do, sail into c. He lost the battle of the secondary monster bbs and we won.

Thankfully I was on the winning side in both, but OMG how many times do you see this, especially on a weekend. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Sigh.

PS. My apologies for the video quality and lack of good editing, I am a noob at this stuff.

You should upload a replay file of this battle - Good Entertainment!!  Drop that file below at the paper clip symbol. 

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,895 battles
10 hours ago, dionkraft said:

You should upload a replay file of this battle - Good Entertainment!!  Drop that file below at the paper clip symbol. 

Sure no problem. Which battle though? The Shima or the Mass?

Will be able to upload later tonight when I get off work.

Members
2,586 posts
5,591 battles
2 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

Sure no problem. Which battle though? The Shima or the Mass?

Will be able to upload later tonight when I get off work.

Yeah DROP them BOTH off if you can!!  We can't miss a good thing can we!  Alright thanks a lot again!

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
14 hours ago, Rabin69 said:

urn and drop off detection...is the red mist so hard to get out of your eyes. There was enough time to cap and win.

The decision can get a bit tricky at times when the point scores are high, time is ticking on, you're behind, and you're not sure you can freeze and grab enough points to make up the difference. @Lord_Zath featured a co-op battle of mine in the Emerald where the decision to go for the last-ship kill that ends it all ALMOST cost me the win. If I'd been more confident about our points I would have let it go, but grabbing the last kill when you have an increasing points lead is foolish, especially if your death is enough to flip scores in the last few minutes or end the game on all-ships-destroyed.

You should probably send him one or both games for commentary, with a note requesting him to emphasise that factor in his discussion.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,895 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The decision can get a bit tricky at times when the point scores are high, time is ticking on, you're behind, and you're not sure you can freeze and grab enough points to make up the difference. @Lord_Zath featured a co-op battle of mine in the Emerald where the decision to go for the last-ship kill that ends it all ALMOST cost me the win. If I'd been more confident about our points I would have let it go, but grabbing the last kill when you have an increasing points lead is foolish, especially if your death is enough to flip scores in the last few minutes or end the game on all-ships-destroyed.

You should probably send him one or both games for commentary, with a note requesting him to emphasise that factor in his discussion.

Cool, never thought about that. Great idea, was actually thinking that Jingles would like those types of games. But its so hard to get him to see your replays.

Its why I actually decided to post both snippets. In the first game the reds had time and caps on their side, once the DM remained alive they would have most certainly won. As he could just wait for me to try and flip a cap to radar. There was less stress to finish the game by killing me. The slaughter of three ships at B just caused a blood lust in him it seems, as he was only using AD and not WS hacks..lol.

The Biz on the other hand was not paying attention to the clock or the point count IMO. He just needed to slow our point accumulation by touching the cap, not trying to flip it.

It would be great if Wargaming would make the countdown to win timer (don't know its proper name) standard. It may help some players be better at making those types of decisions.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
15 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

It would be great if Wargaming would make the countdown to win timer (don't know its proper name) standard. It may help some players be better at making those types of decisions.

I fully support this, and am tagging @Pigeon_of_War to put him in the loop.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,819 posts
15,937 battles

Here's the replay @Ensign_Cthulhu referenced:

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
44 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Here's the replay

Thanks for putting it up. Situations like these are like endgames in chess where IF you have a certain arrangement of pieces and IF you know exactly what to do, the outcome is assured (which is why high-level grandmasters are so ready to flip their king when they see they're on the wrong side of it). But too many second rate players are unpractised in these situations and try to work it out at the board, so they choke under time pressure and either their clock runs down or they make a blunder that allows their opponent to sneak away with a draw.

Maybe you could create a playlist of battles like mine and one or both of @Rabin69's and call it "Endgame technique." :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DPG]
Members
945 posts
4,915 battles

A long time ago when I was starting up the German BB line I was driving around in the Kaiser.  I had 7 kills and I was the only one left against the remaining two enemy ships.  Three or four people were screaming at me in chat to go kill them.  I refused and drove off into a corner somewhere to wait it out.  My point is that sometimes dead friendlies put a lot of pressure on the remaining players to ultimately make stupid mistakes.  Sometimes people are just stupid.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
591 posts
1,800 battles
20 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

A long time ago when I was starting up the German BB line I was driving around in the Kaiser.  I had 7 kills and I was the only one left against the remaining two enemy ships.  Three or four people were screaming at me in chat to go kill them.  I refused and drove off into a corner somewhere to wait it out.  My point is that sometimes dead friendlies put a lot of pressure on the remaining players to ultimately make stupid mistakes.  Sometimes people are just stupid.

Sure, though more often I see dead friendlies begging folks to back off and let the game end without giving the other team a chance to come back.  It works often enough to make hanging around the game after you're sunk worth it. 

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,895 battles
9 hours ago, dionkraft said:

Yeah DROP them BOTH off if you can!!  We can't miss a good thing can we!  Alright thanks a lot again!

As requested good sir, full replays attached.

20181125_175608_PJSD012-Shimakaze-1943_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

20181125_201117_PASB518-Massachusetts_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay