You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Why The USN Prohibits Filming Music Videos Onboard Its Ships

10 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,334 posts
6,235 battles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1990/01/05/chers-dirty-dance-embarrasses-navy/c7676fce-b1d3-44a8-8e5f-bfce3ebd952a/?utm_term=.a73ea4c1fde2

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-11-17/local/me-1483_1_retired-navy

https://www.wearethemighty.com/cher-navy-music-video

The US military, the navy included, sometimes allows Hollywood to borrow various things for its projects, everything from personnel to full-blown warships. For instance, the Essex-class carrier USS Lexington (CV-16), now a museum ship in Corpus Christi, Texas, was used as Akagi in the films Tora, Tora, Tora! (1978) and Pearl Harbor (2001), as well as the three Yorktown sisters in Midway (1976).

However, a curious exception is that, since 1989, the US Navy has not allowed a single music video to be filmed aboard its warships. The reason to this can be traced back to a certain American singer's album.

While Cherilyn Sarkisian, better known as the American singer and actress Cher, initially had a very poor impression of the song "If I Could Turn Back Time", the song (which was part of an album named "Heart of Stone") eventually came to be seen as a major part of her comeback in the late 1980s, charting #1 in Australia and Norway, #3 in the US and #6 in the UK. It has also been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America and was Cher's second consecutive solo #1 hit on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart.

However, for the US Navy, the song was basically the Miley Cyrus straddling a wrecking ball of the time. Cher's outfit proved much more...exposed than the Navy expected, and indeed caused quite a stir at the time. MTV initially banned it, and several veterans groups criticized it (even though it would appear that the sailors on board the Missouri who were participating in the video's filming had very few objections). The fact that USS Missouri was the sight of the Japanese surrender in 1945 and its resulting historical importance only added fuel to the fire.

A second cleaned-up video was eventually released, but the damage was done, and no music video has been filmed on a USN warship ever since. As for the song, its most recent usage has been in the closing credits and post-credits scene of Deadpool 2.

To quote the Washington Post, "If battleships could blush, the USS Missouri would be bright red."

The Music Video in question (not sure if it's the sanitized one or the original):

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,672 posts
9,721 battles

Cher straddling a 16-inch gun shows you just how big the bores of those things actually were.

I'm sure that the only ones who were "embarrassed" were some admirals' wives or others who had those political officers ears.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
4,679 posts
6,835 battles

Cher obviously liked those BIG 16 inch guns. :Smile_glasses:  What I actually liked the most were the overhead shots of "Mighty Mo" at night and those shots of the guns at night.  Nice big guns. 

[TBOW]
Members
1,184 posts
10,765 battles

I am shocked, shocked, I say, to see that such a performance should have taken place aboard a United States Warship, and not one sailor appeared to object in any way!. :)

[PSP]
Members
6,672 posts
9,721 battles
12 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

I am shocked, shocked, I say, to see that such a performance should have taken place aboard a United States Warship, and not one sailor appeared to object in any way!. :)

It's a much different military than it used to be. From the songs we sung in Basic to the tattoos we got and the emblems painted on our equipment, in the old days the military was hardly PC. Back then the girls, what few their were, were separated from the boys. However, from what little I saw of them and their behavior made me think that, if anything, they were more raunchy than the men. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Alpha Tester
5,352 posts
2,563 battles

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I knew it had to have something to do with Cher sitting on the Missouri's guns.

[PSP]
Members
6,672 posts
9,721 battles
1 hour ago, Doombeagle said:

The navy had a right to be unhappy. Do you have any idea how much it costs to treat the Missouri for an STD?

At the current rates for penicillin and given the displacement of the Missouri (unloaded) in tons, about 500 million dollars.

Alpha Tester
5,352 posts
2,563 battles
On 11/25/2018 at 10:58 PM, Snargfargle said:

At the current rates for penicillin and given the displacement of the Missouri (unloaded) in tons, about 500 million dollars.

Not only that, but penicillin is basically impotent nowadays. The stuff that it's used to treat has had the past 70-odd years to build up a defense against it and as a result, the piece of mold former known as "the wonder drug", as well as a multitude of other antibiotics, are worse than useless for treating anything.

[PSP]
Members
6,672 posts
9,721 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

Not only that, but penicillin is basically impotent nowadays. The stuff that it's used to treat has had the past 70-odd years to build up a defense against it and as a result, the piece of mold former known as "the wonder drug", as well as a multitude of other antibiotics, are worse than useless for treating anything.

Penicillin is still the preferred treatment for a wide range of bacteria, including those that cause syphilis. However, there are definitely resistant strains of bacteria out there that are nearly impossible to kill without also harming the patient.