You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CFagan1987

What was the rationale behind removing aircraft carriers from Operations?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
288 posts
7,318 battles

I don't understand this tweak. One of my favorite things about Operations was the challenge of facing hordes of fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers in Killer Whale and Operation Aegis.

Is this a stealth attempt at making the Operations harder without adding a "hard mode"? 

[SF-A]
Members
2,949 posts
5,920 battles

They want players to get used to it. While a new CV system is being built, AI for it is currently nonexistant, and needs to be made from the ground up. This will take time, and they don't want to totally jump the playerbase with a change. Lord knows the vast majority of us are clueless in the ops as is.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,597 posts
10,056 battles

We should get a captain skill reset on our hyper AA ships like the Dallas and Atlanta then.  No planes..  I actually plan on that.

I'm sure the Dunkirk - Operation Dynamo still has planes, right?  Or did they throw in a half dozen Hippers?

[SALVO]
Members
17,709 posts
18,486 battles
6 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

We should get a captain skill reset on our hyper AA ships like the Dallas and Atlanta then.  No planes..  I actually plan on that.

I'm sure the Dunkirk - Operation Dynamo still has planes, right?  Or did they throw in a half dozen Hippers?

Why should you get a skill reset just because they yanked CVs out of operations?  It's not like they yanked carriers entirely out of the game.  Jeez.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,597 posts
10,056 battles
22 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Why should you get a skill reset just because they yanked CVs out of operations?  It's not like they yanked carriers entirely out of the game.  Jeez.

This ship is completely geared to shoot down planes.

For Aegis, the goal is to survive the beginning of the battle and end up in the North side of the map where I can slaughter all the attacking aircraft.

Dallas_Ops_A.jpg

Sep_09_18_Dallas_Aegis_B.jpg

[-A-8-]
Members
37 posts
7,373 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Cherry Blossom will be interesting as well. Second half is pretty much built around planes and the airodromes.

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Having played the test server the way ships deal with planes now and the rework is different. No ability to priorotise squadrons now so why invest in those skills?

[SAA]
Members
915 posts
28,025 battles

Because CV's take to much skill and it would mean that the 3 clans with the good 3 CV players would dominate the matches.  Just another reason why the CV should never have been in the game in the first place.

[PQUOD]
Members
452 posts
6,888 battles

Haven't heard or read why they removed them. It seems to have made  the operation a little easier. If you chose to use a CV your planes will be unopposed in the air. Just the AA from ships and forts. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
373 posts
4,889 battles

I disagree with pulling CV's out of operations, and going so far as to change operation sub missions. The CV rework isn't coming out soon(tm), and it's likely that the historical method of air attack would work even with the rework out right now - after all it expands the capabilities of human pilots, while reducing the MM try typically had to wade through. If anything, bots using the current rework sampling would just roflstomp the green team and you would know what "real difficulty" is.

Members
4,011 posts
14,850 battles

I very much like the notion of being able to play without being swarmed by planes. Now WG, be so good as to remove green bot CVs from Co-Op as well.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,927 posts
2,724 battles
2 hours ago, CFagan1987 said:

I don't understand this tweak. One of my favorite things about Operations was the challenge of facing hordes of fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers in Killer Whale and Operation Aegis.

Is this a stealth attempt at making the Operations harder without adding a "hard mode"? 

No.  The current CV meta is going away.  This is an intermediate step toward a new CV meta.  Planes will come back, but in a different way.

Actually, if you take your own tame CV driver, this change makes the altered Ops easier.  Until they take him away too.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,927 posts
2,724 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Land-based planes, as in Operation Dynamo and Cherry Blossom, are still there and are still mean SOBs.  Interestingly, Graf Zeppelin and its :etc_swear: AP bombers still haunt Hermes.

I expect some Ops, like Narai, to eventually incorporate off-map land-based airfields.

[SALVO]
Members
17,709 posts
18,486 battles
48 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

Having played the test server the way ships deal with planes now and the rework is different. No ability to priorotise squadrons now so why invest in those skills?

I think that it's certain that there'll be a skill reset when the CV rework drops.

[TDRB]
Members
1,323 posts
5,041 battles
47 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No.  The current CV meta is going away.  This is an intermediate step toward a new CV meta.  Planes will come back, but in a different way.

Actually, if you take your own tame CV driver, this change makes the altered Ops easier.  Until they take him away too.

I think it is easier for CV drivers as well unless I've been extermely lucky with the CV drivers I've been teamed with.

[DPG]
Members
945 posts
4,915 battles
12 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I think it is easier for CV drivers as well unless I've been extermely lucky with the CV drivers I've been teamed with.

It is much easier for the CVs.  Last night I got my first major contribution achievement for doing over 200k damage.  Took out both bbs and 3 of the 4 required ships.  Now if only the rest of the team could get up north to cut off the Kolberg before it enters the haven.

[TDRB]
Members
1,323 posts
5,041 battles
3 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

It is much easier for the CVs.  Last night I got my first major contribution achievement for doing over 200k damage.  Took out both bbs and 3 of the 4 required ships.  Now if only the rest of the team could get up north to cut off the Kolberg before it enters the haven.

Getting to the exit area has cause the vast majority of the losses for the teams I was on over the holiday weekend.

[SALVO]
Members
17,709 posts
18,486 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Getting to the exit area has cause the vast majority of the losses for the teams I was on over the holiday weekend.

Same.  Had a decent game turned into a loss just tonight.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,893 posts
8,366 battles
1 hour ago, Turbotush said:

Because CV's take to much skill and it would mean that the 3 clans with the good 3 CV players would dominate the matches.  Just another reason why the CV should never have been in the game in the first place.

You can't have a game on 20th century naval warfare and not have aircraft; aircraft are ships too in their own right.

[SAA]
Members
915 posts
28,025 battles
10 hours ago, Crokodone said:

You can't have a game on 20th century naval warfare and not have aircraft; aircraft are ships too in their own right.

Then by that logic, make the game more realistic and give the CV's the power they had and we will have World of CV"s.  This game has very little to do with a majority of what it was like to fight any naval engagement between ships.  The 20th century proved that big gunned surface ships were no longer the Kings of the sea, the CV was.  You have to make a choice, ether you make the game a realistic representation of naval combat per tier/pier time line, making the CV the most powerful unit in the game in the upper tiers, or you have a surface warfare game were ships shot and sink with each other with out CV's.  WG tried to have a middle ground and it failed, the next fix will also fall short and they will have to continue to try and balance the CV which will just suck more.  To bad they couldn't have just left the CV out of the game and had us shooting each other.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,893 posts
8,366 battles
29 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Then by that logic, make the game more realistic and give the CV's the power they had and we will have World of CV"s.  This game has very little to do with a majority of what it was like to fight any naval engagement between ships.  The 20th century proved that big gunned surface ships were no longer the Kings of the sea, the CV was.  You have to make a choice, ether you make the game a realistic representation of naval combat per tier/pier time line, making the CV the most powerful unit in the game in the upper tiers, or you have a surface warfare game were ships shot and sink with each other with out CV's.  WG tried to have a middle ground and it failed, the next fix will also fall short and they will have to continue to try and balance the CV which will just suck more.  To bad they couldn't have just left the CV out of the game and had us shooting each other.

Dependa where and how you were reading. In the Pacific yes: CVs were the horn of the victor. However, the Atlantic, Mediterranean and North Sea it was warships that wrung the ultimate victory. 

In hindsight, it was the failure of the Japanese to field a plausible pilot replacement program that caused u.s naval aviation to run amok in the Pacific than aircraft being a be all end all means. After all, this game isn't about what hapoened, its about what could have happened real and imagined.

Crokodone