You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

Sorry, is this the improved XP for spotting?

21 comments in this topic

[SF-A]
Members
2,949 posts
5,920 battles

image.thumb.png.e3901423838629dfeec3973b8a269226.png

image.thumb.png.4a6b102ab7d422c293cea3855183d638.png

Thought I did pretty well spotting for my flank, even though the enemy Lightning and Chapayev were excellent players, and made it very difficult. Smoked the team a bunch, but spotted for 142k, my personal best. Is this just not worth anything? Am I overestimating what 142k in spotting is worth? I would have expected more XP, even though the only real damage I did was to that Lightning.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[FYL]
Members
253 posts
1,476 battles

I think part of it is, if once spotted, they fire their weapons they become spotted by everyone so you may lose the majority of xp for spotting closer target or BBs.

[USCC2]
Members
3,819 posts

It would be cool if maybe some of the damage that those ships did from your spotting got shared too (literally)! :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[RNJR]
Members
223 posts
4,369 battles

If only there were a system where if you spot and target an enemy...

And a teammate also targets that enemy and puts damage on target...

Thag you get bonus xp for eyes on target and teammate gets bonus for accuracy because of your spotting thereby increases his own damage dealt.  

[O7]
Members
5,006 posts
9,335 battles

You got ~10k damage, and complaining about 1k base xp. I'd say that was pretty generous. Anyone can sit invisible and do nothing but spot, and I'd say the base xp awarded here has reflected the team benefit of it despite the low effort required.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[5D5]
Members
2,403 posts
15,016 battles

If your damage was maybe 40-50k your XP would have been a lot higher for that match.

Also, was this a standard battle?  I don't see any capture or defense stats for your DD.

[SOFOP]
Members
346 posts
4,455 battles

It's funny how peoples opinions vary.  Most teams I'm on would love it if some DD just sat there and kept the enemy team spotted, forgoing damage for a team goal.  Yet the above guy..."you just sat and spotted?  Lol, useless."

DDs seem to always get ripped apart and be damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think you should get credit for damage caused based in your spotting, at the same rate as the person doing the damage.  After all, if you didnt spot, that damage doesn't exist.  Yes, you may have people that just sit there and spot....but that's no different or worse than those people who sit back and farm damage.

• Cool 7

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles
Just now, Old_Baldy_One said:

I think you should get credit for damage caused based in your spotting, at the same rate as the person doing the damage.  After all, if you didnt spot, that damage doesn't exist.  Yes, you may have people that just sit there and spot....but that's no different or worse than those people who sit back and farm damage.

yes, this

[XBRTC]
Members
1,660 posts
7,914 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

It's funny how peoples opinions vary.  Most teams I'm on would love it if some DD just sat there and kept the enemy team spotted, forgoing damage for a team goal.  Yet the above guy..."you just sat and spotted?  Lol, useless."

DDs seem to always get ripped apart and be damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The problem with that is that he wasn't spending the whole battle just spotting from invisibility...

image.thumb.png.e023e9420cbad64bdb3006c55dadc066.png

[BUOY]
Members
325 posts
3,494 battles

I think the spotting damage adds as a bonus to your base XP. you earn whatever XP you did based on your damage and how useful damage that was. On top of that the spotting XP and capturing XP adds on as a bonus. not sure on this but this is what I figured

Beta Testers
1,442 posts
4 hours ago, Tanuvein said:

I think part of it is, if once spotted, they fire their weapons they become spotted by everyone so you may lose the majority of xp for spotting closer target or BBs.

Yes, that's the problem exactly.

Members
1,022 posts
13 battles
3 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

The problem with that is that he wasn't spending the whole battle just spotting from invisibility...

image.thumb.png.e023e9420cbad64bdb3006c55dadc066.png

That damage is too low.

Had he done at least 30k dmg his exp would be higher.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles
5 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

If multiple ships are spotting, the XP gets divided between them methinks.

the communist game.

Members
670 posts
2,396 battles
7 hours ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I wish warships did spotting damage like tanks so you know what you have done 

You can turn it on in match with the little gear on the minimap.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,831 posts
8,796 battles

The damage is too low, even if you killed a DD, it's not enough to gives enough reward. Also you didn't cap point / defend point which reduces your XP (I'll assume it was a standart battle....or whatever the name of the game mode with only 1 cap per team). 

The spotter should receive as much XP as the damage dealer simply because without spotting, there are no damage. 142k spotting damage is really good, but not enough to compensate for the lack of damage you dealt. Next time, focus a bit more on dealing damage to DD and you should be fine.

Members
656 posts
4,425 battles

I've had some very high xp games in DD's where my damage output was under 20k, but in addition to spotting damage I also grabbed a cap or two. I think spotting damage alone isn't going to net you a whole lot. As others mentioned, it may work as a multiplier for damage and capture based XP.

That said, I'm going to cast my vote for spotting being incredibly useful. If you can keep your team obscured with smoke while keeping the red team lit up and pushed back with torps for a few minutes, that's very often the difference between winning and losing the entire match. That assumes your team hits what you're spotting for them...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

You have to do more than just spot. 

You didn't do good damage, but considering DD play is inconsistent in damage dealing, I'll let that pass.  However...

You didn't cap, either.

You didn't do anything.  The fact you got that much BaseXP from spotting damage alone while doing nothing else is quite forgiving.

• Cool 2

[TF57]
Members
1,345 posts
4,050 battles

I think you should get credit for damage caused based in your spotting, at the same rate as the person doing the damage. 

But the OP didn't do damage or cap. He just spotted. Which isn't necessarily a noteworthy effort.  Given the way ships detection blooms when they fire, most enemies tend to get self-spotted anyway.

After all, if you didnt spot, that damage doesn't exist.  Yes, you may have people that just sit there and spot....but that's no different or worse than those people who sit back and farm damage

I disagree. "Damage farmers" are getting damage and kills, which directly contributes to winning the match. Spotting only indirectly helps win the match by assisting those damage farmers. 

Damage farmers are definitely more valuable.  Players with high damage and kdrs tend to also have high win rates. It's what we call "good players."

I'd argue sailing within detection range of an enemy ship (which is probably firing its guns, so let's say 15km on average) is not that noteworthy a feat, nor always particularly valuable given the fact firing ships tend to reveal themselves to all enemies in range anyway.  WoWs is not WoT.