You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cmdr_bigdog

Offiicial WOWs mods gone?

19 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
71 posts
8,801 battles

Are these permanently gone? They were awesome!

I went to try Alsain's and my laptop sends al kinds of unsafe warnings so I don't see that as an option I want to try.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles

The semi-official Modstation thread is still there but it may not have been updated to 7.11 yet.

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
138 posts
23,006 battles

Aslains website is a bit tricky to use. Click in the wrong place and yes, you will get a flood of warnings about suspicious software. Here's what to do.

1. Open a web browser

2. Go to Aslains site and navigate to the download page and click on one of the download mirrors

3. When the screen changes Do Not Click On ANYTHING

4. In the upper right corner, there is a countdown box.When it reaches completion, there will be a yellow box that will say  SKIP THIS AD

5. Click once on the Yellow Box. Do not click on anything else

6. Your download will automatically start. Wait for it to complete and close the browser.

7. The modpack itself is clean. I have run it for years with no issues. It's the ad page that is the issue, but that's how he makes his money.

Have fun

Edited by mushmouthmorton
sp
  • Cool 2

[XXX]
Members
841 posts
2,775 battles

When you go to Aslain's site, just click the direct download link for the server you want. Don't click the other links.

For example, when you see download link #1 [direct],  click [direct] and you'll be fine.

Edited by DeathLord1969

[5D5]
Members
2,408 posts
15,033 battles
17 hours ago, lungiwear said:

[Edited]

Please explain yourself when WG has blessed the mods that you find in Aslain.

And no I don't play with mods but I find these types of reactions to generally be uninformed or ignorant.

[-A-8-]
Members
37 posts
7,384 battles
2 hours ago, cmdr_bigdog said:

Are these permanently gone? They were awesome!

I went to try Alsain's and my laptop sends al kinds of unsafe warnings so I don't see that as an option I want to try.

Here's a link to the mod station thread.

[BUOY]
Members
325 posts
3,501 battles
2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm not sure you understand what "cheating" means.

1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Please explain yourself when WG has blessed the mods that you find in Aslain.

And no I don't play with mods but I find these types of reactions to generally be uninformed or ignorant.

when a mod pack tells you the angle of the ship youre aiming at then thats cheating. Im not the only who says that, I watch a lot of streamers who agree and they even stopped playing in KotS for that  reason. i never used a modpack, but I see many modpacks being used by unicum players and those mods give them all this addidtional information. if its not in the frikkin game then dont use it

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
185 posts
3,910 battles

If something is allowed and completely legal that might help, use it.  I mean its a video game.  To call it cheating when its available for everyone is wrong.  You may not agree with it being available, but it is so.

Also I tried the angle one thinking, wow this will help.  It gives no advantage.  I stopped using it literally the same day.  It might help someone with poor eyesight.  If it was useful I would use it, it really isn't.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[WOLF3]
Members
6,930 posts
2,724 battles
3 hours ago, cmdr_bigdog said:

Aslain's modpack is perfectly safe.  Download it using one of the [direct] links.  You laptop is complaining about the spam on the non-direct d/l links.  (They're shady, but they give him $ on click-throughs; the direct links bypass them.)

Edited by iDuckman

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
887 battles
1 hour ago, lungiwear said:

when a mod pack tells you the angle of the ship youre aiming at then thats cheating. Im not the only who says that, I watch a lot of streamers who agree and they even stopped playing in KotS for that  reason. i never used a modpack, but I see many modpacks being used by unicum players and those mods give them all this addidtional information. if its not in the frikkin game then dont use it

It's allowed by the developers and available to everyone. That's called a tool, not cheating. The streamers can call it a ham sandwich if they want; that doesn't make it so.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,212 posts
7,198 battles
2 hours ago, lungiwear said:

1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

It's allowed by the developers and available to everyone. That's called a tool, not cheating. The streamers can call it a ham sandwich if they want; that doesn't make it so.

5uNAQ57.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
6,930 posts
2,724 battles
8 minutes ago, Basfshmn said:

This is what I get when trying to download Aslain, I know its a good site.

There are, at last count, SIX download links.  Five of them are not stratoplot.com (which is, in fact, dangerous).

[EASY]
Members
72 posts
9,600 battles

I must be doing something wrong, I see only 3 download links and all 3 do the same thing. I put in www.aslain.com, pick wows modpack, and only 3 links show for me.

[BLUMR]
Members
228 posts
2,900 battles
7 hours ago, lungiwear said:

You have a myopic view of what a "mod" is and why people use them.

I run lady commanders, commander name romanization to also change their names to ladies, expanded ship tech trees so I can look at ship stats and armor layouts beyond whats currently available, anti fog/glare because I don't need to srain my eyes playing this game (and no it doesn't do much of anything on those fog/weather maps. I get the same haze as you do), and I used to run a mod that put pretty little flags next to the ship icons when you hit the tab button. 

This is a usual sort of thing. The only mod that I hear about people in my clan using thats anything but ship skins and anime fluff on the UI is the stat tracker, which at best tells you when its time to bundle up because your carrier is a tomato.

• Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
228 posts
2,900 battles
18 minutes ago, Basfshmn said:

I must be doing something wrong, I see only 3 download links and all 3 do the same thing. I put in www.aslain.com, pick wows modpack, and only 3 links show for me.

Untitled.png

If it pops up and says its unsafe, click "details" I think it was, then click run anyways. It's safe.

Edited by Sou1forge

[PSP]
Members
6,687 posts
9,796 battles
10 hours ago, mushmouthmorton said:

It's the ad page that is the issue, but that's how he makes his money.

Have fun

My business is legit, I only launder money for the mob to make money.

I hit the wrong "download" button on his page and spend the next four hours ridding my system of malware. A game modpack isn't worth the risk, no matter if the modpack itself is malware-free.

• Cool 1