You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Cossack Campaign Retroperspective (from one who has the ship).

77 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,118 posts
4,839 battles

Aaah, my sweet, sweet Tier 8 premium destroyer, how I love you.

First let me say the obvious - this thing dragged on WAY too long (and for those who need to grind on and get all the guineas it's just going to get longer).

I'm very pleased that I bought that ten-guinea pack and even more pleased that my life circumstances allowed me to win every guinea so far, because otherwise this thing would have gone on far longer than I had the patience or the energy for. With that out of the way, and admitting that this review is limited to the tasks we have seen thus far...

THE PROS:

The individual tasks themselves were for the most part easily capable of achievement. There were none of the uncomfortable "Win, survive and do X" tasks we saw in the Indianapolis Marathon.

The tasks that required a win and something else were few and far between, and were trivial in terms of the "something else"

All tasks not related to operations (of which more later) could be done in co-op. While this made the XP and cash grinds even more onerous, it meant that YOLO rushes to reap damage or various categories of gunnery or torpedo hits, fire starting, capture point-related tasks and kills were more in keeping with the meta of the mode.

Practically all the tasks could be accomplished across as many battles as you needed. I struggle to recall any task which had to be accomplished in a single battle - there were one or two at most.

The XP (of any kind) and cash grinding tasks were entirely separated from winning and surviving.

The difficulty of the tasks plateaued as we approached the first major checkpoint - the point at which those who had bought the ten-for-one guinea pack would achieve their fifty. I was half scared we would be up in the realm of needing fifty thousand captain or ship XP or 2 million credits. Thank God things never got that bad, and I hope they don't in the next two weeks. WG seems to have recognised that a lot of people were hitting a wall and they needed to either scale back or not escalate. Certainly the non-XP tasks seemed to be getting easier, and I hope things stay that way.

For every single directive, all tasks were open and could be completed in parallel. You didn't have to select some and hope you could get them done.

THE CONS.

The cash and XP grinds got onerous toward the end, for anyone who is either mediocre, has limited time on their hands, can't throw Draconic flags or premium time at the problem, or a combination of all the above. I had enough time on my hands to counterbalance my mediocrity, but my stock of Draconic flags is looking pretty thin in the aftermath and I'm not sure how well it would have held over the next two weeks. I feel really sorry for the people who are fighting this out to the end through necessity.

(Balanced against this is the fact that for those who had the time, 30,000 ship XP grinds and 8,500 base XP grinds make ship grinds go fast. I had originally anticipated getting Gadjah Mada and Monarch sometime early next year; now I have them both in my port.)

The "use a British destroyer" tasks in the first part of this challenge were a fair thing given that quite a few people did have pre-release destroyers to play with. I got my Acasta two days into the event and my Icarus the next day but didn't use them as I wanted to grind the line from the start plus I already had the Gallant. HOWEVER, quite a lot of people did NOT get an unlock, and this constrained the missions they could do. The same can be said for those missions for which the Cossack (and later the Le Terrible) could be used. They allowed an easy pass around some of the more onerous tasks that left people who didn't have them frustrated.

(The current ability to use the Warspite for some missions is another matter. WG essentially gave this ship away, and IMO anyone with half a brain who didn't buy containers and get extra sovereigns should have taken her above anything else.)

Front-loading the first directive of any stage with a 1.5 million credit grind task was an a r s e hat move IMO.

Tying one mission to achieving stars in the Halloween missions was both good and bad. There was a litttle glitch at the start related to ship tiers where you couldn't actually do it without divving up and selecting an off-rotation mission, but WG fixed that relatively quickly. Full marks there. The major objection I had was in tying it to submarines. This was WG's new you-beaut showoff mode, but making it an option which was easier than heavy credit grinds had two major drawbacks. It put a sense of obligation on people to play subs which has distorted the participation figures (beyond usefulness IMO) and it made the actual gameplay stressful because we were fighting for others (to help them get their stars and rack up their seven) rather than just playing with the new game mode to see what we thought of it. It made me disinclined to play subs, and I would like to see them back in their own operation without any strings attached so we can play with them at a more relaxed pace and get a better idea of what they're really like.

In the end, though, I have to give WG at least an A- on this one. Despite its onerous length, it was a lot more fun to do than the Indy Marathon. Unless my memory fails me, I actually completed EVERY single task for which I had an eligible ship and did it without much trouble. 

MOVING FORWARD:

We are getting a condensed four-week version of this thing to get the Prinz Eitel Friedrich with up to ELEVEN tasks per directive. I hope WG has given us sane tasks, given that we will have that many. It ought to be easier per stage, given that we are playing for a less expensive prize (T6 battleship rather than T8 destroyer). I will repeat myself - I think the format of this challenge was A double plus material; the tasks themselves and the length of it were the only things that kept it from being a joyful happy romp.

Congratulations to everyone else who picked up their final guinea to get the Cossack yesterday. For those who are still battling on, best of luck. I hope things get easier for you from here on out (or at least no harder).

• Cool 28

[VFW]
Members
967 posts
21,686 battles

+1 on your assessment. 

TLDR...Tasks were overall very achievable if not drawn out; sucked that some required a premium ship.

VR,

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,989 posts
10,664 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

THE CONS.
Despite its onerous length

One of my biggest complaints about this RN Event has been the duration. Onerous is the right word.

It started on 20 September, and with the 10-for-$1 Guinea purchase offer the earliest people were able to get a 'free' ($1) Cossack was 24 November - two months later. Even though you can't get it free in any case the Guineas are continuing to accumulate for little reason over the next few weeks, 8 more to go. That's incredibly drawn out.

Especially as Cossack first appeared on the Dev Blog on 16 December 2017 - way to kill the hype.

The other aspect I particularly disliked was that the 'Royal Navy' event became increasingly not 'Royal Navy' with patch 0.7.10. I liked the 'Hall of Fame' when hitting it hard provided extra Sovereigns through crates, it was a mini-game where grinding into the top 10% for that extra crate could be the difference between buying a Gallant or a camo or whatever through the extra 10 Sovereigns or not. Once that ended and the rewards became 'Pumpkin Containers full of Garbage' or '3 nice-ish camouflages' I lost all motivation to even try for the Hall of Fame. Making the directives in that segment 'Le Terrible' (French...) or Cossack (which you're grinding for so...) was also rather questionable, rocking Warspite out of retirement on the other hand was pretty sensible.

Overall I'd rather have seen the event run just for 0.7.9, or 0.7.9-0.7.10 with more overlap. This feels incredibly drawn out, almost a cover for the fact that not much new content is announced - by the time USN CL were out we knew what the next line release would be, right now we have only speculation.

I'd certainly agree that the tasks were at a reasonable level of difficulty, though I play a lot and for the first stages with premium - which I now don't bother with. It could definitely have been worse. It could definitely have been Duke of York 'spot 200 enemy destroyers in British aircraft carriers' levels of nonsense too!

[WMD]
Members
201 posts
5,732 battles

I agree that the missions are dragging on too long, anyone who was really interested in the boat has bought it already. The free stuff is pretty awesome though, so I won't complain about having extra missions to complete on top of the daily ones.

I disagree on the "grindy" nature of the missions though. It's a T8 premium being sold for $1, they need to make you "earn" it or buy it.

[FYL]
Members
252 posts
1,408 battles

Agreed completely. Too bad I'll probably miss the Prinz Eitel Friedrich since I'm visiting family near the east coast for Christmas.

Edited by Tanuvein

[DUDE_]
Members
3,078 posts
13,108 battles

I only need one Guinea, for the life of me I don't know how to obtain them or where to find that information. Is it listed somewhere, so I can focus on it rather than just stumble my way into receiving them seemingly at random?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,989 posts
10,664 battles
1 minute ago, APA_204 said:

I only need one Guinea, for the life of me I don't know how to obtain them or where to find that information. Is it listed somewhere, so I can focus on it rather than just stumble my way into receiving them seemingly at random?

You can either wait until this Wednesday for the next directive to start, which will give you one when completed, or buy one in the premium store for $0.99.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
60 posts
8,551 battles
1 minute ago, APA_204 said:

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/specials/8095/

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles

I agree with the OP on every point.  I actually dipped into my pocket and bought another 23 guineas so I could score the Cossack early enough to get all of those super easy 10000 elite captains xp missions.  It's going to cost me in the end due to the 1/3 valuation of remaining guineas, but Cossack definitely eased the grind and scored me a crapton of elite xp.

As an added bonus, I know how she played before the buffs and it took some getting used to.  She badly needed the buff to her turret traverse speed.

This grind was not as bad as the one I had to do to "win" the Nueve de Julio.  300,000 xp and only one ship to do it with.  Geez, I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

[BUOY]
Members
221 posts
8,358 battles

Agree 100% although I'll add the cons that the 'timed release' over 4 days with none of the mission battles counting towards the HoF has been as fun as playing Jet Lag Simulator. If they can't bring themselves to release all the directives at once they should at least release 2 directives per day instead of one. All battle should count towards the HoF, but maybe make it so you have to complete all the directives to actually unlock the HoF.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,421 posts

None of the missions should have required the ship that was the ultimate prize of the grind (Cossack). 

Missions to score Achievements, when some modes don't grant Achievements, are questionable.

But the big one was Stars... a transparent attempt to inflate Sub-mode numbers.   The more I played that mode the more I loathed it, and at one point I just about gave up on the whole Cossack thing entirely because of it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

But the big one was Stars... a transparent attempt to inflate Sub-mode numbers.   The more I played that mode the more I loathed it, and at one point I just about gave up on the whole Cossack thing entirely because of it.

I have to agree 100% with this.  Just about every "Get 7 Stars" mission went undone for me as well.  I think I did the very first one and that was it.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,421 posts
Just now, Captain_Slattery said:

I have to agree 100% with this.  Just about every "Get 7 Stars" mission went undone for me as well.  I think I did the very first one and that was it.

Where I could, I skipped them until I hit a set where the Stars mission was a "gate" to progress, and then did it, getting retroactive credit.  On weeks where it wasn't a gate, I just skipped it entirely.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
734 posts
4,019 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Where I could, I skipped them until I hit a set where the Stars mission was a "gate" to progress, and then did it, getting retroactive credit.  On weeks where it wasn't a gate, I just skipped it entirely.

That's where having the Cossack early was a big help for me.  None of the "Please play our subs" missions were required for me to advance the directives.  I always had that extra mission completion.  As soon as I saw that first mission earning 10,000 elite captain's xp for taking out the Cossack and rolling your face all over the keyboard, I went ahead and "bit the bullet".

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles

My two cents: The Cossack is a Tier 8 ship, and by all accounts it's pretty good. (at least since they buffed it) So I understand why they expect us to participate so much to get it. Especially since this is what I want to be doing anyway: playing this game.

It certainly feels long, and I am at times frustrated at the amount of games I have to play. But that's a good thing: challenge and obstacles to overcome make things feel more worthwhile than if they just handed it out for nothing. I like working for things.

And I like how I had a single focused project for a few months. With lots of juicy rewards. I'd rather we had this than not have it at all.

Also: I liked the submarine operation quite a bit so I didn't mind playing it so much. Fortunately we had five ships to use so it didn't feel quite so redundant. (It did get pretty redundant though)

I haven't got that last Guinea yet, and I might not until next week (I'm at 49!). Which is frustrating because I wanted to get the Cossack and take advantage of the discount on Upgrades happening right now.

But even considering that, I can't complain. This has been a big long hard...

Let me start over: this has been a substantial and somewhat challenging in-game project to focus on for a long time with a gratifying sense of steady progress. What's not to like about that? I'm glad it has been a challenge. I have no complaints.

Especially considering I play Destroyers about 80% of the time and usually there are very few prizes for the Destroyer folks. Getting two Destroyers for one dollar is great. Especially since one of them is quite good.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,823 posts
3,942 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

MOVING FORWARD:

We are getting a condensed four-week version of this thing to get the Prinz Eitel Friedrich with up to ELEVEN tasks per directive. I hope WG has given us sane tasks, given that we will have that many. It ought to be easier per stage, given that we are playing for a less expensive prize (T6 battleship rather than T8 destroyer). I will repeat myself - I think the format of this challenge was A double plus material; the tasks themselves and the length of it were the only things that kept it from being a joyful happy romp.

Congratulations to everyone else who picked up their final guinea to get the Cossack yesterday. For those who are still battling on, best of luck. I hope things get easier for you from here on out (or at least no harder).

I hope that they mean it's gonna be shaped like a temporary Campaign, at least that's what it was the previous 2 years. The advantage of it was that you could pick and choose the tasks you needed and were able to pick the easier ones over and over to get over some of the obstacles. Not too hopeful for that however.  The ray of hope that the event will be easier is for another reason, the fact that concurrently another campaign will be running for owners of P.E.F. In the two previous events, provided you worked hard in the game, you could get the reward ship quite quickly, so as to have a week or two to spend in the "owners campaign". 

Regardless, we will know in two weeks.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,092 posts
12,044 battles

Yea, drag'd on way to long. WG is getting worse and worse about this. I have completely lost interest in Cossack now. They build hype then kill it by taking to long.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,570 posts
13,580 battles
16 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yea, drag'd on way to long. WG is getting worse and worse about this. I have completely lost interest in Cossack now. They build hype then kill it by taking to long.

It ain't over yet :) … 2019?

Edited by Commander_367

Members
1,472 posts
12,531 battles

Still need two to finish - guess anything worthwhile should take effort to get - but.... this has been one longggggg grind

[WPP]
Members
614 posts
6,159 battles
56 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

None of the missions should have required the ship that was the ultimate prize of the grind (Cossack). 

Missions to score Achievements, when some modes don't grant Achievements, are questionable.

I got Achievements in co op and Scenario.

The stars were easy missions.  2 games of  subs and done.

The missions were varied so everyone could get them done regardless of which game modes they play.  That means some missions weren’t for you.

I honestly don’t get why this is a complaint... no matter what mode you play all the Guineas were obtainable with steady play.  They made it a little easier if you bought some ships but instead of seeing that as a penalty to those of us who didn’t buy the Cossack or Terrible see it as a reward for those who did.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,421 posts
1 minute ago, galspanic said:

I got Achievements in co op and Scenario.

The stars were easy missions.  2 games of  subs and done.

The missions were varied so everyone could get them done regardless of which game modes they play.  That means some missions weren’t for you.

I honestly don’t get why this is a complaint... no matter what mode you play all the Guineas were obtainable with steady play.  They made it a little easier if you bought some ships but instead of seeing that as a penalty to those of us who didn’t buy the Cossack or Terrible see it as a reward for those who did.

The only Achievement in Co-op was the temporary (and terribly named) "Four Goal Haul".  

The Subs... not only was the mode terrible, but in attempt after attempt I was stuck with people trying to get 5 stars on hard mode instead of just going for 4 stars, and thus getting NO stars.