You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Worth getting Kronstadt before it goes?

33 comments in this topic

Members
251 posts
5,181 battles
I have a 15pt Russian captain that I use on my Oct Rev so my question is for someone who is bb main and plays cruisers like the perth and Fiji would this just be a fun ship to have? People seem to either love this ship or hate it. I've seen the Alaska previews from CC's and she just seems very meh to me mainly because her shells don't hit as hard as they should. Thoughts?

Members
167 posts
2,902 battles

I really like it. Cool thing about this ship is you can play it bow on if you want to be one of those [edited] yammy players that only do that or you can run and gun it since it has speed, reload and CE. 

So it is very flexible. The main problem is the AP nerf since you will probably get a crap load of non-pens, and HE sucks. I think i need to play it more but the META has shifted. 

[FARQD]
Members
447 posts
6,732 battles
17 minutes ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

I really like it. Cool thing about this ship is you can play it bow on if you want to be one of those [edited] yammy players that only do that or you can run and gun it since it has speed, reload and CE. 

So it is very flexible. The main problem is the AP nerf since you will probably get a crap load of non-pens, and HE sucks. I think i need to play it more but the META has shifted. 

But how do u play bow on with a 25mm bow and a deck covered with 25mm? I can only do that in my Moskva. 

Edited by sansfaille

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,080 posts
11,053 battles

If you play fast and lightly armored BB's well, you will be able to utilize it properly.  If you can't, you will regret the purchase.  It's not an easy ship to play.

Members
167 posts
2,902 battles
11 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

But how do u play bow on with a 25mm bow and deck covered with 25mm? I can only do that in my Moskva. 

Well of course duh, stalanium, vodka and dancing bears. 

[FARQD]
Members
447 posts
6,732 battles
Just now, steelers_rule_2018 said:

Well of course duh, stalanium, vodka and dancing bears. 

More like the ship can eat lots of HE pen and BBs can easily over match the  bow. Thought that ship would be a sitting duck if played bow on. 

[CLAWS]
Beta Testers
63 posts
7,246 battles

I enjoy it and would say it's worth getting, especially given that you have something like two more months to get it. 

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
10,113 posts
4,429 battles

I got the Moosashi and have mixed feels about it so far. Never touched a russian ship outside of alpha and training room rentals so... *shrug*

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

You have to be careful in some of the engagements with Kronshtadt.

Some think they can bow tank in her like they could in Moskva, she can't, she'll get overmatched to hell and back by 380mm+ armed BBs.  The only BBs in her tier bracket that can't overmatch her bow is 356mm armed KGV & DOY in Tier VII.

I see her wallop unwary opponents with those extremely fast flying shells.  That's where I think she shines, making someone that made a mistake pay very quickly.

However, her guns have some issues.

1.  305mm guns on a "Cruiser" is cool a.f., until you realize that many things can face tank your AP.  Even among Cruisers, Tier VIII+ US and German Heavy Cruisers can face tank your AP because of their 27mm bows.  If those specific Cruisers can face tank Bismarck, Tirpitz, Jean Bart, Alsace, Richelieu, etc. 380mm AP, they will face tank your piddly 305mm with absolutely zero problems.

2.  Kronshtadt's HE isn't all great.

3.  WG made it that these big 305mm guns aren't "Cruiser Reliable" in their accuracy.  These guns will remind you that you have to roll hard with RNG Dice Rolls and pay the price at times like a BB, both good and bad.

In light of those 3 points, be careful with Cruisers.  Kronshtadt is at her best preying on unwary Cruisers, but if they're ready, they will be a big problem.  Even a POS Buffalo will out-tank you as your 305mm AP bounce off her bow.  You could switch to HE but then you are still playing with BB RNG and your HE shells suck.  That POS Buffalo will fire accurately and faster than you, and she starts taking her toll.  Then there's Hindenburg, Prinz Eugen, Baltimore, Salem / Des Memes.

Not saying she's bad, I see her do very well in games, but there are certain fights where she is just terrible for.  I'd say her target selection is "BB Like" where she's looking for easy to punish ships with AP, and not like the normal Cruiser to find a target and DPM the hell out of it.  Kronshtadt is all about the Alpha Strike.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,808 posts
4,780 battles

I see that you already have the Musashi. I picked Kronshtadt and Jean Bart myself because I already have the Yamato and that playstyle is a bit boring.

It fires every 18.5 seconds...the super fast shells and radar helps against DDs at medium-close range but accuracy goes down the toilet beyond 8km or something like that, its AP overpens just about anything at close range. The 71k HP keeps you in the fight a bit longer because you are VERY squishy. Broadsided BBs are your main target.

It's a decent ship for me and I don't regret the 750k...then again, I need a Russian premium and if I can run Kidd with carrier captain.............

Members
1,205 posts
7,302 battles

Its an ok ship imo.   I plan on playing it more, but i dont have a dedicated captain for it.(using my chappy captain as i grind)  I should probably have a moskva/kron captain and leave my other captain on chappy or donskoi. 

the guns are trolly.  They can hit hard if they cit or pen, but that is if they hit.  On one salvo, you get perfect dispersion, and the next, its horrendous.  it is however from what i seen, not as bad as this....

Spoiler

05004CCA3C4C8D830C64CBA1EE6BC9A097C40EE2

and yet i managed to hit him somehow

647A8BB6C4C6346DF0F2DE7B47D9400901E5F94F

the handling is meh.  i wonder if i should take another rudder shift module(so 2 of them).   you dont really have the armor to tank, so dodging seems the way to go. 

im not going to say it is a bad ship, but it is listed at the same price as the Mu and Mo, and i do not think it is as good as either of them

[ARP3]
Members
456 posts
10,949 battles

This ship is going to be the new Missouri. The second it is gone people are going to moan and groan how a ship that can devstrike a yamato was pulled from the game.

It will join the brainless mantra of "Bring back Kitakami, missouri, and Kronstadt!"

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
703 posts
12,823 battles

Do anyone know new posible replacement for free XP  ship ? 

And where is the link kronstad going out ?

[OPG]
Members
4,090 posts
5,896 battles
2 hours ago, Gandariel said:

Do anyone know new posible replacement for free XP  ship ? 

Right now the working theory is the Alaska....but nothing has been confirmed.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts

Write to WoWS/WG and ask for ship rentals... so you could rent the ship for X number of games, hours or up to a full day. It couldn't be cheap but it would allow people to try the ship out first.

Most of the ships you'll play will play differently than the reviews will tell you because of how you play. Only you can determine if a ship fits you. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,592 posts
13,627 battles
9 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:
I have a 15pt Russian captain that I use on my Oct Rev so my question is for someone who is bb main and plays cruisers like the perth and Fiji would this just be a fun ship to have? People seem to either love this ship or hate it. I've seen the Alaska previews from CC's and she just seems very meh to me mainly because her shells don't hit as hard as they should. Thoughts?

Buy every free xp ship you can get your hands on, starting with Nelson … cheapest

Pretend Alaska doesn't exist :)

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,933 posts
5,426 battles

I found Kronstadt underwhelming.   I haven’t played mine in ages.

Musashinisnok, it just requires a boring play style.

Inskipped Jean Bart, so can”t offer anything there.

Missouri is good, but I generally just play Massachusetts instead.

Going to try the Alaska, but concerned it might be another Kron.

• Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles
10 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:
Thoughts?

Kron is worth it, its a great ship. If you will like this ship, only you can answer that. 

Gameplay wise, its kind of a middle road between a BB and a cruiser gameplay. Kron is more tanky than other crusiers, but still far from BB. Keep that in mind. I would say that Kron has a high skill floor, if you are too agressive you will die quickly, if you are too passive you will have poor games. You need to find a middle ground.

[DUDE_]
Members
3,095 posts
13,152 battles

The main highlight of this ship right now is that you might be able to have it in port when others can't. As you can see by the responses, its a very tricky ship to figure out, and unreliable. You may play it perfectly and your gun dispersion is so bad that you end up performing poorly while doing everything right. I have had a few good games in it and games where I did everything perfectly and only hit seagulls and crabtraps rather than the red ships at 15k away.