You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Wich US tech tree to follow?

24 comments in this topic

[WWSB]
Members
59 posts
1,434 battles

Good evening all

I have 33 million credits and 25 000 free exp left and there is an offer for new ships on the US tech tree at 50% credits and it ends in 24 hours.

I don't know wich track I should follow: Right now I am at: Destroyers - Clemson B Tier IV - Cruisers - St-Louis Tier III 

As for Battleships I bought Texas Tier V - Massachusetts B Tier VIII (the black edition) 

So I could go Destroyers I may go Nicholas and then Farragut or I go Cruisers, Phoenis and Omaha, then branch out heavy or light cruisers (I like Dallas)

Suggestions?

[PVE]
Members
10,681 posts
7,908 battles
1 minute ago, 3r22r said:

Good evening all

I have 33 million credits and 25 000 free exp left and there is an offer for new ships on the US tech tree at 50% credits and it ends in 24 hours.

I don't know wich track I should follow: Right now I am at: Destroyers - Clemson B Tier IV - Cruisers - St-Louis Tier III 

As for Battleships I bought Texas Tier V - Massachusetts B Tier VIII (the black edition) 

So I could go Destroyers I may go Nicholas and then Farragut or I go Cruisers, Phoenis and Omaha, then branch out heavy or light cruisers (I like Dallas)

Suggestions?

Save your FXP as it doesn't take long to get the other 50% of the credits you need.

[WOLFC]
Members
398 posts
6,035 battles
1 hour ago, 3r22r said:

Suggestions?                                                   

It really does just depend on what ship class you prefer.  The Texas should provide a good trainer for new BB captains.  There's also a good deal on T7 Sims DD right now for doubloons in the tech tree.  Even if you don't use it right away, it's a very good buy for later on.

Personally, I like cruisers most ... and currently play 5 of them, CL and CA, from T6-T8.  But also just started USN DD's, have Clemson as well.  Go with your gut and what YOU like to play.

Bon Chance!

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
260 posts
12,981 battles

I recommend the DD line given your current progress. Cruiser game play is very punishing for new players, especially for the Omaha and Pensacola. You really need indepth knowledge on shell and armor mechanics to make USN heavy cruisers shine.

DDs, while not really easier to play, teaches you to play objectively for the team and find strategies to win while not relying on sheer damage. Also, DDs do not take devastating damage from large caliber shells like they used to thanks to the recent patch.

Members
115 posts
6,356 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

It really does just depend on what ship class you prefer.

This is the best advice right here. Personally, I went up the USN cruiser line (back when it was the single line). I prefer cruisers in most situations. It was a hard grind, and very frustrating. But, I liked the cruisers themselves, so I stuck with it. USN DDs on the other hand... I started them at the same time, but I only just finished the line the in the last few months (I finished the cruisers last year). It took me way longer to get through them because I just didn't like the DD playstyle.

Case in point, I have 6 of the 7 T10 cruisers now. I have 1 of the 7 T10 DDs. Play what you seem to enjoy most. If you don't know, play a few in one, then a few in the other. No one says you have to run one line at a time.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,174 posts
7,181 battles
4 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Good evening all

Suggestions?

depends, do you like Gearing or Des Moines/Worcester better, that is if youve seen any videos of their gameplay, it all really depends on your playstyle

[WWSB]
Members
59 posts
1,434 battles

Thanks Doc, First about the Texas, it has good AA but it feels like riding an old cow, its so slow but that is expected from a US BB designed in the 1910's

From St-Louis its a long way to T10 light or heavy cruisers, after buying a Massachusetts B today I will not buy any US BB for a while

As Destroyers I am at Clemson B so...I will see where it goes. the highest Tier I got so far is a Haida Tier VIII that I bought, would not like to call it cheating but...

Going to take me a while to get to Tier X

[WWSB]
Members
59 posts
1,434 battles

Would you agree that it takes a different mindset to each category of ships, Tincan sailors dont think like a blackshoe (Battleship)

Members
1,120 posts
8,400 battles
1 minute ago, 3r22r said:

Would you agree that it takes a different mindset to each category of ships, Tincan sailors dont think like a blackshoe (Battleship)

Yes. And even different ships within the same ship types play slightly differently. 

[WWSB]
Members
59 posts
1,434 battles

Good point, I played a Wickes and I now see a difference with a Valyrie, like I will see a BIG difference between a Texas and a Massachusetts Black I bought today. Looking forward to play it.

Just saw Panzernaker play it on youtube.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,781 posts
2,670 battles
4 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Good evening all

Suggestions?                                                  

I'd say catch up on the cruisers, but 22K FXP isn't going to get you far - just Phoenix and Omaha.  You may be willing to spend Doubloons ($) to convert Elite XP.  How much do you have? 

Fortunately Phoenix and Omaha both qualify for the 50% credits discount.  (Don't decide on the split yet.) 

If you buy some FXP you might also get Nicholas.  Or spend the rest on your next USN BB.  You'll get used to the old cows, and at the top is arguably the best BB in the game - Montana.

Members
3,978 posts
14,724 battles

The USN Cruiser line is fun, especially when you get to the CL split. Dallas, Helena, and Cleveland rock! :cap_horn:

Edited by ReddNekk

[FML]
Members
1,911 posts
10,598 battles
7 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Good evening all

Suggestions?

Welcome to WoWS.

I would encourage you down the USN Destroyer line - they are relatively new player friendly for destroyers, and they are great fun.  The low tier ships are all easy to use.  

However, I wouldnt suggest expending your free XP to get past the Clemson faster.  Because: 

• The Clemson is a borderline overpowered ship, skipping it is completely unnecessary;
  • Free XP is best used in upgrading a new ship so that it isnt 'stock' - eg, by buying the B hull immediately makes the grind go a lot easier; 
  • The 50% discount on a T5 ship is not worth much credits - as you have 33 mil, you dont have a credit crunch atm.

As such, just keep grinding the Clemson and you'll get over the line rather quickly.  If you've earnt any flags or camo that give bonuses to XP, you might wish to mount those to make the grind go a bit faster. 

Feel free to hit me up in-game if you'd like to run with someone!

Otherwise, good luck!

[WWSB]
Members
59 posts
1,434 battles

To IDuckman: I intended to get at least to Nicholas in destroyers and Dallas in cruisers ( so four ships in total ) and save my credits and FXP for the nest round of specials in other countries.

[WOLFC]
Members
398 posts
6,035 battles
55 minutes ago, 3r22r said:

One other suggestion ... you may want to join a clan.  They can provide a lot of guidance and even team up for training.  Even if you're not interested in clan activities, battles, etc you can join one of the many Lone Wolves clans or others who require no participation in battles, etc.

But it's the benefits you'll want to take advantage of ... reduced ship purchase cost, reduced battle cost, increased XP,  increased Coal, etc ... It's well worth joining.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/173-clan-recruitment/

Edited by DocWalker
link to clan forum

[WOLF3]
Members
6,781 posts
2,670 battles

Wolfs! Wolfs! Wolfs!

"Hello, pack brother.  Who are you again?  Oh never mind."

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,985 posts
13,413 battles
18 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Suggestions?

I say walk don run. Save your currency, you will have enough XP without spending. My Concern is learn the tactics of each class you partake. I have tto many battles and I still havent mastered DDs or cruisers or BBs for that matter. The play style is so diverse that you can never learn enough to say "I got it".  Enjoy the battles, not just play them. :).

[TAFY3]
Members
365 posts
7,749 battles

I dreaded the American cruiser grind, but boy when I played them...  they really fit my play style!  The Omaha, New Orleans, Baltimore...  all monsters!

[WOLF3]
Members
6,781 posts
2,670 battles
1 hour ago, driedjello said:

The Omaha, New Orleans, Baltimore...  all monsters!

*cough*Helena*cough*

I like 'em too.  Even the grind wasn't so bad (except for the Omaha A hull).  T6 Cleveland was a beast, and T7 Pensacola had Hermes Op.  Then the CLs were a blast. 

There's an Upgrades sale on.  OP, you might try stockpiling some upgrade modules.

• Cool 1

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

Clemson is a good little murder boat. Super easy to crush dreams and steal souls in a meta where “ahead full” is the only throttle setting a lot of players know - constantly brings them in range of your otherwise too short torpedoes.  You also have a TON of gun power at tier, for your fellow DD drivers mostly. 

Tier 4 in general is great for destroyers. Izyaslav, Shen Yang are both quite strong as well. Isokaze took a needless nerf along with Minekaze because new players are atrocious at understanding how not to get torpedoed, but you can still do work. 

Both US cruiser lines are good, but my preference tends to be for heavy cruisers over light. I enjoyed the Phoenix because seals are delicious and MM serves them up. I hated Omaha, basically a Phoenix, because MM is going to find you people that actually know how to play. To me, her gun configuration and lack of armor cannot be redeeemed...certainly not when I could be sailing Königsberg, Kirov or Furutaka. Hell, I’d take Emerald over Omaha.

[VOC]
Members
81 posts
57 battles

My suggestion OP, is to stop right there. Seeing your stats you've barely begun wows. Yes your WR is very well but your average dmg is atrocious. Keep that Mass B parked until you at least grinded your way till T7. You'll be thrown into T10 matches all the time and get massacred. I'd be one big frustration for you and your team. And keep that 25k free XP into your account. It isn't that much and it'll come in handy for ship upgrades later on. And your 33 mil credits is very nice. But also not that much. Squandering them now will bite you in the rear later on.

Regarding your tech tree line question. I'd say to build up cruiser experience go for the IJN line. Those are the most "all-round" cruisers. They neither shine nor suck in anything in particular. Same goes for the US DD line. Best torpedo/ gunboat hybrids. Though the KM line is very well adjusted for that as well.

USN cruisers: I have a love-hate relationship with them. Everybody seems to be fond of Worcester. I don't like it a bit. I loath the "hide behind island pewpewing [edited]." But I've fallen in love with the Brooklyn class light cruisers (Helena, Boise). But that's a personal matter.

[4HIM]
Members
1,918 posts
4,677 battles
2 hours ago, Mahrs said:

Clemson is a good little murder boat.

Clemson is one of the best DD's at that tier.  I haven't kept a lot of tech tree ships below T5.  But Clemson IS a keeper.  A lot of seal clubbers stick a 19 point captain in it and go to town.  I need to go play mine again.  It is a fun boat.