You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GSD22

Tier 8 Matchmaking Shadow-Patched?

44 comments in this topic

[PARS1]
Members
8 posts
5,278 battles

Maybe I'm just a little crazy....but I swear that they have shadow-patched the T8 MM. All day Wednesday was filled with fun T8 matches where my clan mates and I were paired against other T8s as well as T9, T7, and T6. 

But literally EVERY match starting Thursday (over 100 matches to this point) have been nothing but me and maybe 1 other T8 ship vs all T10 ships. 

Did they happen to shadow-patch the MM for T8 to make it primarily/only against T9-T10?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[O7]
Members
5,006 posts
9,335 battles

A little bit of investigation would reveal that they are interested in avoid this, but you'd rather just think that WG is just out to pick on the ships that get down tiered by secretly changing things without you noticing. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

[PARS1]
Members
8 posts
5,278 battles

You assume a lot, Pulicat. I was simply asking a question because they have shadow-patched things before. Shadow-patching doesn't always mean that the patching was something bad. I was just wondering if they had gone back and reversed it because too many people were taking advantage of it at T8.

• Bad 1

[DHO-2]
[DHO-2]
Members
2 posts
1,321 battles

GSD22, if you're a little crazy I guess I'll be heading to the ward too because I'm feeling the same way.  Most of my matches yesterday evening were just a few tier 8 ships and mostly 9 and 10s.  I guess we will have to see if the pattern continues.

[SIM]
Members
2,680 posts
4,423 battles

Two sides of the same coin, I’m afraid. If the matchmaker can potentially fill up a game with almost exclusively tier Xs, then it will grab whatever it can to fill out the teams in order to do so. If that means sacrificing two tier VIIIs, then that’s what it will do.

[PARS1]
Members
8 posts
5,278 battles

When I play T10 matches I would much rather just 1) wait a few more seconds for another T10 or 2) just play down 2-3 people per team (make it more like clan battles). But that's just me, I guess.

[ICOP]
Members
992 posts
3,604 battles
27 minutes ago, GSD22 said:

Maybe I'm just a little crazy....but I swear that they have shadow-patched the T8 MM. All day Wednesday was filled with fun T8 matches where my clan mates and I were paired against other T8s as well as T9, T7, and T6. 

But literally EVERY match starting Thursday (over 100 matches to this point) have been nothing but me and maybe 1 other T8 ship vs all T10 ships. 

Did they happen to shadow-patch the MM for T8 to make it primarily/only against T9-T10?

As I recall they mentioned something in the patch notes for 7.11 about adjusting MM.

[PARS1]
Members
8 posts
5,278 battles

@Junostorm They did mention making changes to T8 MM in 7.11. They essentially changed it to make T8s pair against T6-T9. But that change seemed to only happen for the first day (strictly in my clan's experience). I just figured I'd reach out to the forums to see if anyone had any news about them shadow-patching it to reset the T8 MM to what it was before.

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
Just now, GSD22 said:

@Junostorm They did mention making changes to T8 MM in 7.11. They essentially changed it to make T8s pair against T6-T9. But that change seemed to only happen for the first day (strictly in my clan's experience). I just figured I'd reach out to the forums to see if anyone had any news about them shadow-patching it to reset the T8 MM to what it was before.

"In response to numerous requests from our players, we are improving the matchmaker and enhancing the algorithms responsible for creating teams. This change will be more relevant to Tier VIII–X ships. Tier X battles will have fewer Tier VIII and IX ships as these will more often be matched to Tier VIII and IX battles."

But don't tell Pulicat.  He's investigating...

[BOTES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,675 battles

I'm surprised someone can say they played 100 T8 matches and were uptiered into T10 every game and nobody challenges that. The statistical premise alone is absurd.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts

Ok. To me,, playing straight 5 games with tier VIII, same ship ,one game after the other,, bottom tiered 3 games,with 2 tier VIII ships per game,,,mostly tier X,,couple tier IX too. 1 game mid tier,,,1 game top tier. This is pretty much the same for all days since patch. Yesterday got a 6 straight games in tier X games(with tier VIII ship).....all games had 2 tier VIII ships per team. .... Not seeing any improvement for tier VIII matchmaking at all. It should be the other way around, 1game in 5 being bottom tiered,3 games mid,,1game top.....or just implement the 2 tier system.. 

[PARS1]
Members
8 posts
5,278 battles

@awildseaking We have a guy who runs stats in our clan. He kept track of everyone's matches as they posted them in Discord. I played 52 matches as of this morning (since Thursday morning). I apologize if I was misleading with that when I said "me and maybe 1 other T8 ship". I should have said "one of us and maybe 1 other T8 ship".

[PVE]
Members
10,854 posts
7,982 battles
48 minutes ago, GSD22 said:

17 minutes ago, GSD22 said:

In the patch notes, WG did make a change to high tier MM. Phil talks about it in the Waterline videos, second one IIRC, but both have good info. Essentially, MM was taking the T10 ships in queue and then filling in the other spots with T9 and T8 meaning you were much more likely to be bottom tier. Now instead, it will take the T8 ships in queue and fill around them. So you should be less likely to be bottom tier. Will you never be bottom tier? No. Will you have random stretches where you are bottom tier a lot? Yes, that is a function of RNG. Just because you flipped heads last time, doesn't mean there isn't a 50/50 shot for heads this time too. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-0711-rule-britannia/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/waterline-3-part-1/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/waterline-3-part-2/

5 minutes ago, awildseaking said:
48 minutes ago, GSD22 said:

But literally EVERY match starting Thursday (over 100 matches to this point) have been nothing but me and maybe 1 other T8 ship vs all T10 ships

I'm surprised someone can say they played 100 T8 matches and were uptiered into T10 every game and nobody challenges that. The statistical premise alone is absurd.

Yep. @GSD22, I would track your T8 matches for 100 battles and you will see it is not as bad as you think.

100 matches in T8

I did one for PvE. The results were fairly similar to Lert's

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,658 posts
3,895 battles

This is exactly what was predicted when the MM change was announced. That you'd see far more matches vs T10 as the only T8 in the match.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,073 posts
7,882 battles

Nah I've had 7 T10 matches in a row yesterday, but this time I was the only T8 or there were 1 or 2 others. I've had 2 games where I've been top tier and one where T9 was top tier. 

[PVE]
Members
10,854 posts
7,982 battles
12 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

..and no, random or not,,,they should not allow players to be bottom tiered for consecutive games. Should be a limit.

You do know how randomness works right? Just because you flipped heads, doesn't mean you will get tails next. Over time, with a fair coin, the heads vs tails will trend 50/50, but it is not unusual for them to be off 50/50. The smaller the sample, the larger the difference from 50/50 can be. Now with RNG and tiers and MM, you add in ships in queue. If tons of people are playing T10 that day and less are playing T8, then you will be bottom tier more. If tons of people are playing T8 and less are playing T9+, then you will be top tier more. So there is randomness, but because you are randomly picking from the pool of people playing, if the pool is tilted in one direction, you will get most of the players from that end of the pool.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles

you must be living a paradise,because i hardly get a tier8 match.

[RNDM]
Members
130 posts
3,137 battles
1 hour ago, GSD22 said:

You assume a lot, Pulicat. I was simply asking a question because they have shadow-patched things before. Shadow-patching doesn't always mean that the patching was something bad. I was just wondering if they had gone back and reversed it because too many people were taking advantage of it at T8.

I kind of get this. most of my t6 matches seemed to be mostly t8 with me as one of 2 or 3 t6 on my team. on the other hand most of my t8 ships have been placed in t10 for the last couple days (after patch) so maybe I'm just drawing the short straw this week.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,236 posts
13,029 battles
28 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

..and no, random or not,,,they should not allow players to be bottom tiered for consecutive games. Should be a limit.

There is. Watch the most recent Waterline videos.

[WOLF5]
Members
540 posts
20,224 battles
33 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

There is a limit.....if you lose. If you're winning then their "free pass" doesn't kick in. 

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,147 posts
13,539 battles

@GSD22 The Turkey shoot event in randoms only is drawing tiers 5, 6, 7, 8 away from the other battle modes! Players like killing we Turkeys for prizes. My tier 8 turkey battles have seen quite a few 10s but what the heck I am supposed to get killed as a turkey any way.

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts
30 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

There is a limit.....if you lose. If you're winning then their "free pass" doesn't kick in. 

Does not seem fair. Tiers there for a reason. Winning or not,,pitching against ships 2 tiers above ,,too often,,just not right.  Right now,it looks like ,they made tier VIII mm worse,than it was before the patch. 

• Cool 2