You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Gearing Mark 17 torps

9 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
4,105 battles

Not seeing an upside to the Mark 17s.  They reload slower and do less damage.  Yes, the range is 16.5 kms, but that just seems to be a recipe for having one of your own team run into them.

Has anyone tried playing with these long-range torps?  If so, what was your experience?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,570 posts
12,220 battles

16.5 is very good in Clan Wars for area denial and reaching those radar cruisers.

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
80 posts
8,418 battles

Use those 16.5 torps with torp acceleration and it works great.   Good smoke, guns and torps make the Gearing an excellent DD

• Cool 1

Members
46 posts
2,623 battles

You're not missing power if you take the Fletcher torps.  In fact, I personally think they are better, but I understand why some people prefer Gearing torps.  If you feel better with Fletcher torps, then use Fletcher torps.  I get way more hits with Fletcher torps.

Members
1,876 posts
10,342 battles

It depends on how I'm playing. 

If I am solo in random I prefer the quicker reloading 10.5km torps.  If I am working in a div, particularly with CA I tend to run the 16.5km.  The reason being if I am playing smoke [edited], and in a Gearing you should, I might not be able to get textbook torp positions on an enemy target.  It is likely however I can target multiple ships paths with my torps increasing my odds of smacking something.

If I am playing competitive I almost exclusively run the 16.5 option, there are some really dirty things you can do to guys sitting in pretty fixed positions from half the map away.