You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
joel9507

Can the base-being-capped alarm sound be changed?

7 comments in this topic

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,409 battles

Background:

When someone is capping the friendly base, I'd like a nice loud alarm.  What I currently have is a very quiet 'meep-meep'.  It's quieter than the seagull sounds in port, in fact.  I've set all the sound controls to maximum and the sound is still faint compared to the usual sounds. 

I am wondering if somehow an old mod may have messed this up.  While I've been annoyed with this for some time, I seem to recall that when the feature first came out, the alarm was reasonably loud.

Questions:

1) Is there a way to set the Red-Team-Is-Capping-The-Base alarm loudness in the game client?  If so, which control/button is used?

2) Is there a mod that changes the capping alarm?

3) Assuming the answer to number 2 is 'no', does anyone know which sound file is being played when the red team is capping, and where it lives?  I could copy in a different sound file and rename it, if that's the only way.

[5D5]
Members
2,408 posts
15,033 battles

There is nothing specific to capping in the audio settings in the game client.

However, paying attention to your mini map would alert you rather quickly that the enemy has arrived at your base in standard battles.

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,409 battles

I do pay attention to the minimap, it would just be nice to have this feature - built into the game but almost inaudible - be a backup. 

An audible alarm would be great, as then even when you are deep into a DD duel - about as far from looking at a minimap as it's possible to get - your subconscious could be getting the information through your ears while your eyes are very, very busy. 

RE: 'audible alarm' - I don't think anyone designs an alarm to be inaudible.  There's something wrong - whether it's my setup, some failed mod, or ?  

Thus, this post.

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,409 battles

OK, if there's no specific setting for base-capping volume, does anyone know how to identify the file with the 'red is capping the base' sound?  Maybe I can swap that out or modify that.

[-CIV-]
Members
283 posts
2,405 battles
On 11/28/2018 at 8:10 AM, joel9507 said:

OK, if there's no specific setting for base-capping volume, does anyone know how to identify the file with the 'red is capping the base' sound?  Maybe I can swap that out or modify that.

I tried digging around and I'm totally stumped. I'm suspecting the .pkg files in res_packages but I don't understand how anything connects. @Quaffer, would you have any idea where we could begin to look?

[TAC-B]
Beta Testers
116 posts
9,409 battles

Well, I figured out some pieces of the puzzle.

1) are mods involved?

No.  Ran in 'safe mode' and also with the newest patch before adding mods to it - no change

2) what audio controls in the client affect the volume of the cap alarm?

Two.  SFX volume and Interface volume.  They appear to be 'anded', meaning that if either are off, no cap alarm.  If I have both maximized the barely-audible 'meep meep' gets slightly louder.

I even found a reference in the 'mod.xml' file in the /res/banks folder that I think applies...

-<event name="Play_Capture_Alarm">

<acceptedType name="Loop" readableru="сирена захвата базы" externalId="LCapture_Alarm"/>

But as to where to go from there, no idea.

So, tactically what that means is that to make the 'meep-meep' louder, I will run both SFX volume and Interface volume at 100%, and to make the alarm stand out more against the general background, I'll be cutting engine sound and ambient sounds way down.  With some luck, that'll be enough.