You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Atago vs Myoko

22 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
161 posts
3,412 battles

I’m tempted to get Atago but I already have Myoko (Southern Dragon variant) and I’m not sure if it would be worth it. Atago seems like a slight upgrade so the ship is balanced at tier 8 but the gameplay does not really change. That heal is nice addition but given that Atago will see tier 10 monsters it seems more like necessity. Given that she is tier 8 she will earn more credits but I already have some tier 8 prems for this purpose. Do I miss something interesting about Atago? 

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
461 posts
5,996 battles

The biggest difference between the Myoko and Atago is that the Atago has a single quad torpedo launcher on each side that will fire forwards allowing you to fire  a set of torpedos without showing broadside if approaching the enemy.  The other difference is the concealment (Atago- 9.1 km with mod, camo and skill vs Myoko-11.3 km with camo and skill).  This allows the Atago to fire torpedo's while undetected and makes it easier to disengage from a fight.

• Cool 1

[-1]
Members
161 posts
3,412 battles
1 minute ago, DanielLeary said:

The biggest difference between the Myoko and Atago is that the Atago has a single quad torpedo launcher on each side that will fire forwards allowing you to fire  a set of torpedos without showing broadside if approaching the enemy.  The other difference is the concealment (Atago- 9.1 km with mod, camo and skill vs Myoko-11.3 km with camo and skill).  This allows the Atago to fire torpedo's while undetected and makes it easier to disengage from a fight.

Ah—that’s quite interesting advice—thank you!

[-1]
Members
161 posts
3,412 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

You also get the heal, which the Myoko and the tech tree T8 Mogami do not have.

True, but my fear is that it will eat so much AP in tier 10 games so that heal may not be that useful after all.

Members
4,931 posts
5,713 battles
5 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

True, but my fear is that it will eat so much AP in tier 10 games so that heal may not be that useful after all.

The Atago actually has decent armor for a CA. Her softness comes from a long and exposed citadel, it sits above the waterline amidships. The heal truly does help her stay alive, especially when up tiered.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,442 posts
4,041 battles
10 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

angle properly and it shouldnt be a problem. 30mm belt iirc

[LODGE]
Members
113 posts
13,158 battles

Atago has two launchers per side, not one. Unless you're saying that one of them fires forwards.

Mogami with the 155 guns is very good too, if you don't want to pay for Atago.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

What does Atago have over Myoko?

More comfortable turret traverse, even with the very recent Myoko turret traverse buff.

Different torpedo launch angles.  Most IJN CAs have rear-side angling torpedo launches.  Atago is in quarters for her 4 torpedo tubes, like slicing a pie in 4 but with some narrowed angles for the tubes.  However, this may not be necessarily better, i.e. the trademark kiting IJN CA dropping torps back.  But Atago can send torpedoes in more forward angles if needed.  So it's not better nor worse than Myoko's, just different.

Repair Party.

Stealthier, especially due to CSM1 access that Tier VII and below ships don't have access to.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
461 posts
5,996 battles
4 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

Atago has two launchers per side, not one. Unless you're saying that one of them fires forwards.

Mogami with the 155 guns is very good too, if you don't want to pay for Atago.

You are correct, one launcher per side fires forwards, and the other fires rearwards.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
9 hours ago, dimzzy said:

It can actually tank of u angle bow in. Plus if you run Conceal Expert u can stealth Torp as well.

[-1]
Members
161 posts
3,412 battles
8 hours ago, Kousatsu said:

Atago is so great.

So there will be no reasons to play Myoko which is sad (((

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles

Atago os a beast, onde of the best premium ships in the entire game. 

Great guns (even better after the last buff) and torps, great concealment, decente tank (for a cruiser), great speed. Only lack some AA. Atago can be a bully when top tier. And even when botton tier she still is really good because of the concelment, which allows you very effective.

If you like IJN cruiser gameplay, Atago is worth it. 

[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,073 posts
7,882 battles
11 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Atago has the Zao armour scheme meaning it hardly ever takes full penetrations and trolls battleships even when showing broadside. It's not like Myoko and not even the same tier. 

Members
1,112 posts
11 hours ago, DanielLeary said:

^ This, with the qualifier that Atago's stern set of tubes have a difficult arc, so to get off a mass salvo you still need to show a lot of broadside. I find a good move if you have the room is mimicking Scheer's Gefechtskehrtwenden battle-turn-away as a 360-degree firing run and dump all 4 sets with slightly different leads. Rudder shift is my friend.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,059 posts
4,743 battles

atago [edited] on myoko everytime,no competition,she wins instantly.

[LOS]
Members
565 posts
8,192 battles
12 hours ago, DanielLeary said:

Are you high?    Atago has FOUR torp launchers...TWO per side!!!   And she has a heal!!!    Back to sailing the Erie for you,

[NUWES]
Members
1,724 posts
5,924 battles
13 hours ago, dimzzy said:

That's exactly why it has the heals. Atago is a long ship with a long citadel and it's poor maneuverability makes that worse, but the heals and its low detection via the stealth module it gets at T8 helps counteract that. If Atago is getting focused enough to overwhelm the heals then its captain misplayed badly. 

You really have to watch out for the USN CAs in Atago. They can citadel it at almost any angle that it can unmask all of its guns and the high arcs of the shells tend to cause them to travel over the belt and plunge down into the citadel. BBs, of course, are always a problem for any CA or CL. Other than that it is rather tanky and its heals just make it more so. 

[-AGW-]
Members
680 posts
9,866 battles

Having run the ARP clones of both I would definitely take the Atago/Takao over the Myoko. It's much more agile and with better turret rotation, but even without the benefit of camo it is the sneak assassin of WoWs. And if all else fails you can bow in and last long enough to punch a BB in the face with those torps.