You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LAnybody

Honestly, the UK DDs are pretty crappy...

63 comments in this topic

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,205 battles

I've played all DDs, and am particularly fond of my IJN and KM ones.

I have to say, I'm up through the T6 UK ones, and they're garbage.

They really have no strengths.  The smoke is a gimmic that really doesn't work with a DD that has far too high a detection range to be useful.  The guns are very Meh, and while they're not glacially slow turrets, they're still not anything better than the KM ones, which is mediocre. 

And don't get me started on the torps, which are even more useless than US DD ones. Slow as crap and not that powerful, with terrible reload times and awful range. The individual shooting torps might be nice if you had any ability to use them. You don't.  I mean, I can deal with the USSR torps as pure ambush ones, but the UK ones don't even work well in an ambush, as they're WAAAAY too slow - I've had US BBs dodge spreads at 4km simply because the torps are far too slow. This never happens with other DDs.

I don't see this getting any better either, looking at what's ahead. Torp range is juuuuust barely enough to stealth torp, and detection is on the scale of the Maass. Without the HP pool or decent Hydro to compensate. Hydro is really only useful for self-defense, and again, why would you need it, because you can't sit in smoke (its too short).  The gun performance isn't enough to compensate, and it's looking like IFHE is gonna be a mandatory requirement starting at either T7 or T8, so you can't have a functional DD with under a 14-point captain?

I just don't see any point to them. Everything about them is mediocre, with nothing to really play to.  I might stick around to see how the T7 is, but I'm pretty darned disappointed in them. They're frankly awful.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[HELLS]
Members
1,742 posts
16,495 battles

Keep going. Lightning is the pearl of the whole line. They start getting good at Jervis, when the twin turrets kick in big time. Cossack is an awsome Premium gunship with 1st rate concealment and respectable torpedoes. Gotta learn to play'em....

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,205 battles

I guess I just don't see the point.  They have no purpose - everything I do in a UK DD is done substantially better by at least one of the other DD lines. This applies pretty much up and down the tiers, so far as I can see.

And that's the problem - why play something when a thing you already have does whatever you want better?

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,667 posts
17,921 battles
33 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Keep going. Lightning is the pearl of the whole line. They start getting good at Jervis, when the twin turrets kick in big time. Cossack is an awsome Premium gunship with 1st rate concealment and respectable torpedoes. Gotta learn to play'em....

Hated the T5, 6, and 7 that came from the crate missions, but oddly I seemed to click with Lighting; maybe I finally figured out using the hydro and smoke.

Can’t stand the T2-3 when I went back to fill in the holes in my RN destroyer tree, but the T4 seems another good fit.

@LAnybody don’t think so negatively about the short smoke; think of it as keeping you from being torp’d, even when you don’t have hydro.

Pick a good spot with allied spotting and good targets; throw in 25-30 secs of HE, then move off; rinse and repeat. Use the torps to RU style ambush, to blob torp, or to create a fan that’s harder to dodge.

Stealth torping is all about mindset and math. I’ve stealth torped in a Clemson; a destroyer not exactly known for being able to do so; because I understand I can launch at a closing target outside of normal torpedo range. Before the range runs out; the target WILL be in range.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,948 posts
5,908 battles

I find it to be a more defensive playstyle, which is strange for a DD. Stick with it, they'll grow on you if you stop chasing everything you see.

[SALVO]
Members
17,677 posts
18,483 battles
2 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

I find it to be a more defensive playstyle, which is strange for a DD. Stick with it, they'll grow on you if you stop chasing everything you see.

The problem with this "more defensive" play style is that I find it difficult to define in any easy to grasp way.  I guess that I always think in terms of different offensively related concepts when it comes to defining a play style. 

58 minutes ago, LAnybody said:

They really have no strengths.  The smoke is a gimmic that really doesn't work with a DD that has far too high a detection range to be useful.  The guns are very Meh, and while they're not glacially slow turrets, they're still not anything better than the KM ones, which is mediocre. 

And don't get me started on the torps, which are even more useless than US DD ones. Slow as crap and not that powerful, with terrible reload times and awful range. The individual shooting torps might be nice if you had any ability to use them. You don't.  I mean, I can deal with the USSR torps as pure ambush ones, but the UK ones don't even work well in an ambush, as they're WAAAAY too slow - I've had US BBs dodge spreads at 4km simply because the torps are far too slow. This never happens with other DDs.

I don't see this getting any better either, looking at what's ahead. Torp range is juuuuust barely enough to stealth torp, and detection is on the scale of the Maass. Without the HP pool or decent Hydro to compensate. Hydro is really only useful for self-defense, and again, why would you need it, because you can't sit in smoke (its too short).  The gun performance isn't enough to compensate, and it's looking like IFHE is gonna be a mandatory requirement starting at either T7 or T8, so you can't have a functional DD with under a 14-point captain?

I just don't see any point to them. Everything about them is mediocre, with nothing to really play to.  I might stick around to see how the T7 is, but I'm pretty darned disappointed in them. They're frankly awful.

Personally, I'm enjoying the RN DDs, though I recognize that they're not the easiest DDs to play or love.  A little more torpedo range on them starting at around tier 5 would have made playing them a bit more comfortable.  Even their short ranged hydro is defensive in nature, as it isn't that useful for charging into smoke.  It's better for anti-torpedo defense.

Generally speaking, it seems like what you want to do with the RN DDs, at least up thru the Lightning, is try to hang around the caps and engage enemy DDs when you can get the  drop on them.  Or use the smoke to do some hit and run smoke shooting on larger units.  Their guns are pretty decent and have pretty good fire chances.  RN DDs seem to have more smoke charges than other DDs, which makes using them for escape maneuvers less painful to do.  (That is, less painful because you aren't having to expend one of a very limited number of smokes, when you have more than most nations' DDs.)

• Cool 1

Members
1,472 posts
12,551 battles

Have to agree, pretty much a pile of waste material - I have all the lines, up to Lightning - at most an OK dd, pretty much like every other line of DDs better - 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,565 posts
12,200 battles

You need a 10 point captain with CE to make them work.

The tier 4 is very strong.

Tier 7 I believe is the best.

Tier 9 switches from 120's to 113, then you need IFHE.

[POP]
Members
613 posts
12,362 battles

I started at T5 which I felt was meh … 6 and up have been a blast and pretty decisive in matches. I think it helps to have experience in other cap contesting DDs as well, I had already gone up through the USN and KM lines before the UK even came out.

[SALVO]
Members
17,677 posts
18,483 battles
13 minutes ago, Alabamastan said:

I started at T5 which I felt was meh … 6 and up have been a blast and pretty decisive in matches. I think it helps to have experience in other cap contesting DDs as well, I had already gone up through the USN and KM lines before the UK even came out.

I agree with this.  If you've only played IJN DDs and try out RN DDs with a stealth torping hunter's mindset, you're going to have a hard time with mid tier RN DDs.

Modder, Beta Testers
1,544 posts
2,611 battles

I've had a lot of fun with the Jervis and just gotten into Lightning.  I find they specialize in objective modes were you can setup shop in a cap and lock it down.  They can outfight a lot of Cans with thier toolbox and use the single shot fish to mess up any ships pushing in or hiding in smoke.  They don't seem as well suited for Standard mode if you cant find a choke point or need to push into OpFor.

Also the ability to hold speed in a turn let's you juke a lot of shots.

[DENY]
Members
378 posts
5,090 battles

The trick with the UK DD is to have skill if you ain't smart you ain't gonna do good

• Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
313 posts
4,063 battles

I thought Lightning was a ton of fun; the ships leading up to it I did not play as they seemed pretty weak on paper.  I have since moved on to Jutland, which is a very capable DD; and I am not yet at two dozen games in her and have already had a couple games over 200k damage and a few more well over 100k and that without IFHE.  I would consider myself a mediocre DD player at best.  I will say that one thing I have found so far with the RN DDs is that they seem to be ships of extremes:  feast or famine.  Either you rack up silly amounts of damage with what feels like no effort, or you struggle all game to accomplish anything.  I'm not sure why this should be, but that has been my experience.  The games that click make me feel a little dirty though. 

TLDR keep going up the line.  Lightning and Jutland are a lot of fun and the RN DDs don't play quite the same as any other DD line. 

• Boring 1

[UTWE]
Members
210 posts
2,841 battles
12 hours ago, LAnybody said:

RN DDs are my favourite line in the entire game and i'm a BB main! Their playstyle is really unique and you CANNOT slack off with them in a game and play them like other DDs or else you'll die. So if you like passive gameplay I can see why you don't like them. I'm currently at T9 Jutland is soooo fun and i'm only 47k to Daring can't wait! Also going to T6 in a line isn't far enough to judge the line, T5 is AMAZING but the T6 is meh, T7 is when the line really gets good, only downside is you NEED IFHE.

Edited by Iron_Salvo921
  • Cool 1

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,205 battles

And none of this suggests how UK DDs are played that is better than any other line. That is, why should I play UK rather than some other line? The answer so far is: don't bother.

That's the point:  after playing every other line (for several years, each), I see no reason to play the UK one. 

KM and the upper-tier PA ones are far better cap contestors.

IJN, KM, and even US ones beat them handily as torpedo boats. Heck, even the PA do monstrously better with their DWTs than the poor UK torps, which are crippled by their poor range, mediocre damage, and awful speed. Oh, and a terrible reload, which gives them bottom-of-the-barrel DPM with their torps.  UK torpedoes work great on their CL line. On the DD line, well, not really at all, even with the "one at a time" gimmick.

USSR ones beat them as pure gunboats, and the US and PA (and even the KM) beat them as multipurpose gunboats. And none of them require IFHE to do any noticeable damage.

IJN and US are for scouting.

KM and US and even USSR are radically better hybrid jack-of-all-trades.

PA smoke is just as plentiful, and far more useful. Heck, EVERYONE's smoke (even the maligned KM one) is more useful in anything other than a purely selfish mode.

I *can* play the UK ones. I just don't see any compelling reason to - and that's the problem. There doesn't seem to be any playstyle that the UK DDs are better at than others. They can't even compensate by being 2nd best at a bunch of stuff:  they're mediocre at everything, and thus, no matter what you do with them, there's no real enjoyment.  You're always stuck being blah.

When I want that kind of aggravation, I'll play my IJN DDs. :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
202 posts
5,738 battles

RN DDs have better close in fighting capability than any other DD once they hit T8, they are more manouverable than most with strong speed retention, and built in accleration, short and plentiful smoke allows you break contact and re-engage when you choose, lastly they are RN and for some people that's enough.

Members
1,004 posts
7,510 battles
20 hours ago, LAnybody said:

The smoke is a gimmic that really doesn't work with a DD that has far too high a detection range to be useful. 

lolwut? RN DD have average concealment across most of the line.

[BIER]
Members
139 posts
2,205 battles
1 hour ago, Rouxi said:

lolwut? RN DD have average concealment across most of the line.

Yep. Right in the middle. Mediocre.  Which means that having awful smoke is a huge problem, since they get outspotted by half the opposition easily, and can't disengage well.

Members
1,004 posts
7,510 battles
39 minutes ago, LAnybody said:

Yep. Right in the middle. Mediocre.  Which means that having awful smoke is a huge problem, since they get outspotted by half the opposition easily, and can't disengage well.

I suspect you might be suffering from a case of unreasonable expectations.

[UTWE]
Members
210 posts
2,841 battles
2 hours ago, LAnybody said:

Lol excuse me? Their smoke is awesome it's actually designed to disengage. You gotta learn how to play a line before you go up it, RN DDs arn't regular DDs.

[F4E]
Members
40 posts
11,593 battles

No I have to agree too. I'm really struggling with the jutland. Anemic guns (except AP) Yes, you can play defensive, but you get really low scores. I can't seem to make this UK DD line work for me. Am I missing something? Maybe it's the fact I need IFHE? Look like AP is the only way to go but so many bounces..

[WOLF9]
Members
313 posts
4,063 battles

Yep.  They are terrible.  The game after the 211k loss was a 203k win, and those are all with a 15pt captain without IFHE.  I know, super small sample size (I have 23 total games in Jutland atm)... But I don't think I'm a very good DD driver.  At any rate I find that the higher tier RN DDs are perfectly capable of doing anything other lines can do, they just don't specialize like some of the other lines.  You can spot, you can contest caps, you can gunboat, or you can torp boat.  I think their flexibility is their strength; at least that's my opinion.  If nothing else I find them fun to drive.  The baked-in acceleration and higher speed kept through turns makes them very agile.  The lack of straight line speed is occasionally frustrating but if you play smart or dodge well it is mostly a non-issue.  YMMV. 

Jutland 171k loss.jpg

Jutland 211k loss.jpg

[ICBM]
Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I enjoyed the few mid-tier games I played in them. Watching them at higher tiers, I have seen some perform well, some perform poorly. They aren't OP, that's for sure, but I've seen people make them work. Not sure I'd call them crap.

[ARGSY]
Members
65 posts
3,607 battles

I got the Lightning today and after about 20 games I would have to say it is my go to DD. I think the problem is that you have to adjust to their playing style. Watching a couple of videos before getting them helped me prepare. I have had some pretty high scoring games and just missed a kracken in my last. I love my Fletcher but the Lightning is actually better. I can't remember the early tiers but my rundown of the  mid tiers is as follows. Icarus: fun to drive, so quick and maneuverable that I could just dodge multiple ship salvos coming at me all day. Not a great offensive boat though. You need to work with your teammates. Seven k torps have a steep learning curve but I love the single shot capacity. Jervis: a big step up from the Icarus. Six really decent guns with a rear turret that can rotate a full 360 degrees. You really need a ten point captain to work this boat. Save your coal and buy the Bert Dunkirk captain. His bonus to Expert Marksman changes the equation for this boat dramatically and makes it a pretty decent cap fighter. Lightning: the best dd in my book, learn to use the smoke and hydro and this is the best cap bully in the game. 5.5k concealment gives your low detection and your 8km torps  get some point blank shots. I disagree with an earlier poster. These are not passive defensive boats but capping boats-especially when you get the Lightning.The most under rated aspect of this boat is the three 360 degree capable turrets.  Combing it with EM and BFT and the tactical advantage is yours most of the time because you can keep all six guns on an enemy dd most of the time whey you are both twisting and turning.  I also consider it the best tier 8 boat when it comes to fighting up-tier. It strengths are the same even in tier 10 matches.  Once I get another captain skill point I might switch out EM for the faster torpedo reload. Your turrets are pretty quick regardless.