You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Mass: Plotting room or Secondary upgrade 2?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
3,360 posts

What say you?

I'm just outfitting my new ship, and am having a hard time deciding.   I have both AFT and BFT, so my secondary range is already 9 km!  reload is at 3.9 sec.

Full disclosure:  I have at least 1 unmounted upgrade of each kind in the 200k slot EXCEPT Secondary 2.   That's the only upgrade I'd have to pay silver for.  (on the entire ship!!  I had freebies in all the other slots, too, lol)  Which is part of why I'm looking at artillery plotting room, lol.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,658 posts
13,234 battles

Mass has reduced accuracy main battery and ridiculously buffed secondary battery. Why would you want to extend your main battery range, to snipe?

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
474 posts
5,941 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Mass has reduced accuracy main battery and ridiculously buffed secondary battery. Why would you want to extend your main battery range, to snipe?

That

[SPTR]
Members
20,128 posts
5,690 battles

Honestly, take Secondaries. No one uses APR for the Massachusetts, her range is large enough and her velocity and accuracy is too low to make anything beyond 16-18 km consistently possible to hit.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,360 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's why I asked.  I never take it on USN BB's, as they're sloppy enough at range as it is.

I rarely "do" Randoms, so sniping is irrelevant for the most part- the reds come to you!  (unless some fool in an ankle biter runs off to the far map edge and drags the entire bot team with him...)

It was a free upgrade, though- and I'm trying to conserve credits.   (got Roon to outfit, and Republique will be mine soon enough)  AA seems unnecessary, and I'm simply NOT nerfing my reload to get slightly faster traverse- not on a BB meant for brawling!

[RLGN]
Members
8,695 posts
17,966 battles

What they said; Mammie is the USN Bismarck/Tirpitz; you do whatever you can to make the secondaries better.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,574 posts
12,258 battles

Buff the secondaries. Having 2 destroyers strapped to your side is glorious. 

Besides, you will not really miss the range if you play the ship as it is intended...

Mid to near short range brawler.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,473 posts
6,810 battles

Massachusetts will basically give you two options:

1. Go full Secondaries, and get one of the strongest Secondary Armaments at T8 coupled with a decent ship that can do multiple purposes.

2. Attempt to implement gunnery tools, or pick Survivability over Secondaries, and know that you will always be inferior to Alabama in the role of a ship that relies on the main guns.

Based on that, get secondaries.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

IMO, the entire point of Massachusetts are her Secondaries, because there is literally no other USN BB in the entire game that comes anywhere close.  Not even Tier X Montana's secondaries aren't as good, because they simply lack range.

I'd say SBM2 on Mass and build her for what she's meant for:  Secondaries Build.  If you wanted anything else for a Tier VIII USN BB, North Carolina or Alabama would have been a better choice.

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
21 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

What say you?

I'm just outfitting my new ship, and am having a hard time deciding.   I have both AFT and BFT, so my secondary range is already 9 km!  reload is at 3.9 sec.

Full disclosure:  I have at least 1 unmounted upgrade of each kind in the 200k slot EXCEPT Secondary 2.   That's the only upgrade I'd have to pay silver for.  (on the entire ship!!  I had freebies in all the other slots, too, lol)  Which is part of why I'm looking at artillery plotting room, lol.

Don't bother with APRM1. You will be lucky to hit anything at it's anemic max range now never mind extending it further. Go for the SBM2 and get close. Even close the guns are wonky. This is not your typical US BB with great accuracy. MA accuracy is abysmal.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[MOH]
Members
304 posts
1,473 battles
On 11/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

What say you?

Well, truthfully, most targets that comes within 11.3km range are also going to come within 9.9km range, but SBM2 is still going to be a much better choice given the intended role and design of the ship.  The Massachusetts is purpose built to be a brawler of the mid range, which is why her secondaries have superior long range accuracy (the whole idea is to keep further away from your targets compared to, say, playing a Bismarck).  Any reduction to that secondary range is going to put your closer than you might be comfortable with. 

+Edit - You can get away with playing German, and to a much lesser extent, French brawlers with ASM1 over SBM2 because they are, by design, more lethal and more proportionally armored the closer you are to your target.  The Massachusetts is very well armored, but you're opening yourself up to making a major mistake if you get too close; a broadside hit from <5km range will be the end of you.  For that reason, the Massachusetts is played best when you keep your targets at max secondary range (kinda like what @HallaSnackbar said, like a cruiser), which is also where her armor profile is most effective. 

The same is also the case if you play the Montana as a secondary brawler.  The Montana's armor profile is significantly beefier, but like the Massachusetts, she isn't immune to taking citadels at point blank range, and is played best when you keep your targets at or close to maximum secondary range.

Edited by Ranari