You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Super_Average

Detonation

28 comments in this topic

[CRMSN]
Members
8 posts
8,388 battles

Why is Detonation still in the game? I understand they adjusted it a few patches ago but it still is a odd mechanic that has no place in the game. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,373 posts
21,852 battles

The thing I'm a bit confused about is the ratio of detonation flags to devastating strike flags.  It should be a 1: 1 ratio right?

Looking in at achievements I have 850 devastating strikes and 118 detonations.  Now I'm just an average player and shot.  So am I just that lucky and some poor sod is sitting there with 118 devastating strikes and 850 detonations?  Or do I not know how these flags are calculated?

Edited by slokill_1

[TF16B]
Modder
792 posts
7,281 battles

Detonation = “whoa” when it happens to the guy you shot at

Detonation = $@&/?#%! when it happens to you 

i’ve just learned to take the points when dishing one out and the flags when it happens to me, and then I move on. 

Edited by USNA_76

Members
1,130 posts
8,400 battles
2 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

The thing I'm a bit confused about is the ratio of detonation flags to devastating strike flags.  It should be a 1: 1 ratio right?

Looking in at achievements I have 850 devastating strikes and 118 detonations.  Now I'm just an average player and shot.  So am I just that lucky and some poor sod is sitting there with 118 devastating strikes and 850 detonations?  Or do I not know how these flags are calculated?

No.

Not all devastating strikes are dets and not all dets are devastating strikes.

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles
11 minutes ago, Super_Average said:

Why is Detonation still in the game? I understand they adjusted it a few patches ago but it still is a odd mechanic that has no place in the game. 

I am hoping Detonation will be FULLY removed as it is not important in game at all.   I predict WG will do that just as they said there will be NO SUBS...well lets hope for NO DETS! LOL!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,945 posts
4,837 battles

I never understood why people complain about getting free stuff...it happens...just imagine like a more inconvenient form of shipping containers. 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles

I'd be very curious what percentage of the player base thinks detonation should be removed from the game

• Cool 1

[VOC]
Members
81 posts
63 battles

I think it's one of the dumbest game mechanics in existence. Why? It's purely RNG based. Nothing (or very little) you can do to influence the odds of receiving/ delivering. On the other hand it doesn't happen to me that much. And in most of those cases it'd been my mercy shot anyway. Regarding the "realism card?" I'd be fine with that one but it would mean the removal of the Romulan cloaking device, planes seeing ships through mountains and AA shooting through them to those planes, same goes for radar and sonar, ships with 1 HP being fully combat functional and being able to see crystal clear through smoke...

So I don't bother about it. But wouldn't be unhappy if it would be gotten rid of.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[STURM]
Members
316 posts
3,120 battles
21 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

A dev strike is given when you destroy an enemy with more than 50% HP left. It is an award for you.

A detonation medal is given when YOU are detonated. It is pretty much the only "pity" achievement in the game.

Also, it's not one to one. A dev strike can happen with multiple citadel or torpedo hits, without triggering a detonation. A detonation can happen even if you have one HP left, so detonations will only trigger dev strikes if the ship had more than half health left.

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,589 posts
3,603 battles

I was detonated last night in my ARP Kongo by a CV. It's been ages since I was detonated, my clan mate laughed when he heard me cursing on TS. Oh well made me laugh in the end and it was "Fun and Engaging"

If I would make one change is, when I get detonated I want to see a huge explosion. I want to see a plume of fire shooting up followed by a mushroom cloud explosion 

Edited by Psycodiver

[LEGIT]
Members
1,373 posts
21,852 battles
36 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

No.

Not all devastating strikes are dets and not all dets are devastating strikes.

Ah!  Thank you.

Edited by slokill_1

[CSALT]
Members
261 posts

I don't mind detonations.  Detonation happens and they happened for reals too, just look at what happened to the HMS Hood.  I smile, grit my teeth, and go on to the next battle.  The explosion is immense at least.

The detonation that always makes me laugh is when I cause a detonation with my DD.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner

[LEGIT]
Members
1,373 posts
21,852 battles
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I don't mind detonations.  Detonation happens and they happened for reals too, just look at what happened to the HMS Hood.  I smile, grit my teety, and go on to the next battle.  The explosion is immense at least.

Yes, just look at USNA_76 little video there.  I think that's HMS Barham going up. 

It would be nice if detonations were significantly different in game, not the general "got blown up, Sir" that we usually see when sunk.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,751 posts
14,219 battles

They must of increase the chances of being detonated

Its happened 4 times this week already,  I don't think I had that many all year long:cap_wander:

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,200 posts
3,940 battles

I just wish there was more visual appeal to detonations. Your entire magazine stores under one of your turrets is exploding, that's going to be a huge explosion, even on a destroyer. Of course being larger explosion in cruiser, and even larger in battleships. Where's the huge explosion followed by mushroom cloud?

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

I think it's one of the dumbest game mechanics in existence. Why? It's purely RNG based. Nothing (or very little) you can do to influence the odds of receiving/ delivering. On the other hand it doesn't happen to me that much. And in most of those cases it'd been my mercy shot anyway. Regarding the "realism card?" I'd be fine with that one but it would mean the removal of the Romulan cloaking device, planes seeing ships through mountains and AA shooting through them to those planes, same goes for radar and sonar, ships with 1 HP being fully combat functional and being able to see crystal clear through smoke...

So I don't bother about it. But wouldn't be unhappy if it would be gotten rid of.

I have said that if WOW got rid of DETS...NO ONE COMPLAIN about it in the least.   We are here to play against one another not some random device to take youout. Now on the inverse lets say there was a RANDOM comsumable award to one player on each side..NOW you got something...thats would be the way to go.  What would it be....skys the limit...MORE HP added in, or faster ship speed...you get the picture. 

1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I'd be very curious what percentage of the player base thinks detonation should be removed from the game

I dunno..WOW has probably NEVER done a survey on this..  As mentioned before its a mechanic despised and then LOVED by some...its like Politics..one side or the other...!

Edited by dionkraft

[SYN]
Members
576 posts
6,623 battles
51 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

The detonation that always makes me laugh is when I cause a detonation with my DD.

My favorite was my Mutsuki being chased up the Western edge of Fault Line by a Shiratsu. Big explosion, but I wasn't dead. Somehow my one gun detonated him as he closed. LOLs all around.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,808 posts
26,251 battles
16 hours ago, dionkraft said:

I have said that if WOW got rid of DETS...NO ONE COMPLAIN about it in the least.   We are here to play against one another not some random device to take youout. Now on the inverse lets say there was a RANDOM comsumable award to one player on each side..NOW you got something...thats would be the way to go.  What would it be....skys the limit...MORE HP added in, or faster ship speed...you get the picture. 

I dunno..WOW has probably NEVER done a survey on this..  As mentioned before its a mechanic despised and then LOVED by some...its like Politics..one side or the other...!

They did get rid  of dets -- there do not appear to be player detonations in Operations, and CVs cannot detonate, another indicator that WG needs those ships alive to perform their cancer damage role while the rest of us are playing the game. 

No one, however, writes in to complain that CVs cannot detonate or  demanding that the devs reinstate dets in operations. If detonations disappeared, probably no one would notice. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,751 posts
14,219 battles

I have never been detonated in anything but a destroyer so there's not a large outcry for any change to detonations from many

I just wish it would stay standard on the chances and not change from patch to patch like it seemed to secretly

Edited by silverdahc
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles
9 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I have never been detonated in anything but a destroyer

My October Revolution has been detonates a couple times. However, I don't even run anti-det flags on DDs anymore though, detonation is so rare. In fact, when I saw "Detonation" come up today in chat I was quite surprised as I'd not seen it in a long while.  

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles
13 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

They did get rid  of dets -- there do not appear to be player detonations in Operations, and CVs cannot detonate, another indicator that WG needs those ships alive to perform their cancer damage role while the rest of us are playing the game. 

No one, however, writes in to complain that CVs cannot detonate or  demanding that the devs reinstate dets in operations. If detonations disappeared, probably no one would notice. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

WOW did not get rid of it for most ships so  It still exists.  

As of Update 0.7.2, ships that are above 75% of their starting health cannot be detonated. They must fall below 75% in order to have a chance of detonation.

• Bad 1

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles
14 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I have never been detonated in anything but a destroyer so there's not a large outcry for any change to detonations from many

No one can say that your experience is the one that determines reality. Read the forums about this subject and then you will get a broader grasp here than your own tiny sliver of experience. 

Members
2,571 posts
5,563 battles
55 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I just wish there was more visual appeal to detonations. Your entire magazine stores under one of your turrets is exploding, that's going to be a huge explosion, even on a destroyer. Of course being larger explosion in cruiser, and even larger in battleships. Where's the huge explosion followed by mushroom cloud?

Yeah..why not have the explosion create a giant hole in the ocean and suck all the ships into it? NOW that would be REAL FUNNY! 

• Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,808 posts
26,251 battles
16 hours ago, dionkraft said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

WOW did not get rid of it for most ships so  It still exists.  

As of Update 0.7.2, ships that are above 75% of their starting health cannot be detonated. They must fall below 75% in order to have a chance of detonation.

I meant only that there are examples of them getting rid of dets, and no one complaining.