You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
smokinbs

smokinbs

6 comments in this topic

[TRAP_]
Members
1 post
9,339 battles

When starting a random battle i'm getting a white arrow that says "located" in the center right of my screen,  What is this???

[SYN]
Members
7,544 posts
12,773 battles

It means someone using the Radio Location skill to locate you. They can't see you but know what direction you are from them.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff
Potato Brain

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,686 posts
12,105 battles
44 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

It means someone using the Radio Location skill is the closest ship to you. They can't see you but know what direction you are from them.

While a small difference it is actually that the located ship is the closest to the RPF user, there could be other enemy ships between the target and the RPF.

[SYN]
Members
7,544 posts
12,773 battles
17 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

While a small difference it is actually that the located ship is the closest to the RPF user, there could be other enemy ships between the target and the RPF.

Yea, you are right, definitely worth pointing that out, my bad. 

[BIER]
Members
270 posts
4,666 battles

It's also something that "leaks" information to you, the target, which is why RL is such a double-edged sword.

Look at the mini-map.  Now, look at your team mates. Figure out the area where you would be the closest thing to the RL-user.

Now, when you lose the RL indicator, ask your team mates who got it.  See where they would be the closest.

Now, think about the line between the region where you would be the closest, and the region where your team mate would be the closest.

The RL-user just crossed that line.

So, you know, for absolute certainty, the bearing of your opponent. Distance you know to some degree, but bearing (direction) you know for sure.

That's how smart people use the RL ability against those who have it.  And, frankly, why the target notification should be removed. It's virtually the only Captain skill that helps your opponents, not to mention that it doesn't help them just a little bit, it provides almost the same amount of information to the enemy as it does to the owner.

Edited by LAnybody

[NG-NL]
Members
80 posts
6,892 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 7:50 PM, LAnybody said:

the RL ability...doesn't help them just a little bit, it provides almost the same amount of information to the enemy as it does to the owner.

"Tracers work both ways."

I never considered this use. Thanks for explaining it!