You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DESRON10

Question about my ultrawide monitor upgrade...

21 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this LG 34 inch 144 hz 2560 x 1080 so I can basically do a dual screen with only one monitor (and no bezel) for work , but I just wanted to get some advice from any ultra widescreen  veterans on how WOWS is running on their Ultra-wides and if they like it or not? If it has too many deficits I may just go with a larger 16:9

Cant beat the price on this right now though $399 for a 34 inch 144 hz ultrawide that normally sells for over $500

https://www.amazon.com/d/Monitors/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/B01LW5CGIS

Members
1,175 posts
3,153 battles

I had an x34 (3440x1440) and the monitor itself was great but I ended up running Warships at 2560x1440 (16:9 with black bars) simply because it was so wide I couldn't see things in my peripheral vision. 

[DPI]
Members
34 posts

I switched from tripple fullHD setup to a AOC 35 inch (3440x1440) about a year ago. Only negative thing is still playing CV but that will change soon (TM) anyway.

Depending on how far away you are from the screen a 34 inch with 2560x1080 might be too big and can you see the individual pixels. It will have the same height as a 27 inch 16:9 and most of the displays in that size will have a 2560x1440 resolution instead of 1920x1080 just for that reason. So IMHO, you might be better of with a 28 inch 2560x1080 or a 34/35 inch 3440x1440 especially if you also use it for work. 

That said, sounds like a decent IPS panel according to this review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34uc79g.htm

How WoWs runs, really depends on your hardware (GPU/CPU). If you are switching from a 1980x1080 you will increase the resolution and with that the GPU load by about 50% so just keep that in mind.

I am happy with my ultrawide screen and would never change back.  

Edited by Chann_Winson

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts

I am sitting back about 30 inches from the wall at eye level where I will have it hanging at so I am not worried about the pixelation too much. But I think I am pulling the trigger on this.

I cant wait it for it to come in monday.  I already upgraded my sound by modding my logitech surround sound speakers with my old school bose 301's on the front channels and bose 201's on the back channels .

[XBRTC]
Members
1,664 posts
7,931 battles

Not sure how I'd have liked an ultrawide monitor, unless it was curved pretty dramatically. Back when I used a triple-wide 27" 1080p setup, I had the two outside monitors angled SIGNIFICANTLY towards the center, so that the edges of the screen wouldn't be so far away that I couldn't see anything.

Nicest part about it, though... the minimap, with the appropriate transparency mods, was on the right-side screen and at max size, so it took up probably 2/3 of the screen and I could see EVERYTHING. Chat panel was on the far-left screen, and the only stuff taking up the center screen was exactly what I wanted / needed to see. Plus, I could have max zoom and still be able to lead a flank-speed Khab and see what I was shooting at. That was nice.

I'd sorta-kinda like to go back to that setup, actually, but it's a pain in the [edited]to deal with replays and recording video, and dealing with the AMD software for making it a single screen was a pain in the [edited], too. I'd have to switch at the beginning of every gaming session and switch back to separate monitors after so that I could dock stuff on separate screens, use full-screen stuff on separate monitors, etc. I'm using a single 4k panel now.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts

It came in last night and I am glad I pulled the trigger when I did , If I had waited until cyber monday I would of Paid $518 instead of $393 on black friday. It's a great monitor but quite frankly I think I would of been pissed if I had paid full price for it, the picture on this is great for a fhd but I sorta wish I had spent the extra money for a qhd.

But at the price I got it at I have no complaints. Played some last and I was having a blast especially with being able to have the minimap fully enlarged it definitely helps as my peripheral vision is awful due to my glaucoma.

Edited by DESRON10

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles

Run a 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) and would never go back. WoWs looks amazing and there's no stretching. Just use Aslains mod pack so you can expand the map without having to adjust the entire UI scale for a larger map. Lol

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts
1 minute ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Run a 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) and would never go back. WoWs looks amazing and there's no stretching. Just use Aslains mod pack so you can expand the map without having to adjust the entire UI scale for a larger map. Lol

Mod pack? Why? if you just use the + or - it toggles the size of the map and not the ui.

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
4 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

Mod pack? Why? if you just use the + or - it toggles the size of the map and not the ui.

On my monitors resolution the map can't be increased in size enough using the + key.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,664 posts
7,931 battles
30 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

On my monitors resolution the map can't be increased in size enough using the + key.

Get Aslain's mod pack and install the minimap stuff. You'll be able to make the minimap so big it'll block part of the crosshairs.

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
Just now, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Get Aslain's mod pack and install the minimap stuff. You'll be able to make the minimap so big it'll block part of the crosshairs.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned to the OP to do. Been using Aslain's for ages.

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
26 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

Sounds like you need some of my glaucoma meds...:cap_wander:

At 3440x1440 the map (max'd out) is still pretty small. I have an Obutto chair so I am about 3 ft from my monitor. :)

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts
5 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Yeah, that's what I mentioned to the OP to do. Been using Aslain's for ages.

Sorry, I am a true believer of running a vanilla client. I used to make mod packs for unreal tournament 98 but I don't trust any modpacks or any software now that doesn't come straight from the company that develops the game.

And even then you have to watch out, I remember how Wargaming support was telling everybody to install CCleaner even after it had been found out that CCleaner's update servers had been compromised and was installing malware.

Unfortunately there are just too many nasty bugs running around.

[TDRB]
Members
1,327 posts
5,052 battles

I have a 32" 2560x1440. I love it. It works very well running WOWs.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,664 posts
7,931 battles
1 hour ago, DESRON10 said:

Sorry, I am a true believer of running a vanilla client. I used to make mod packs for unreal tournament 98 but I don't trust any modpacks or any software now that doesn't come straight from the company that develops the game.

And even then you have to watch out, I remember how Wargaming support was telling everybody to install CCleaner even after it had been found out that CCleaner's update servers had been compromised and was installing malware.

Unfortunately there are just too many nasty bugs running around.

Well, if that's the particular hill on which you're going to choose to make a stand, then you're going to have to either get a really big monitor or suck it up and find a different game to play.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
742 posts
5 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Well, if that's the particular hill on which you're going to choose to make a stand, then you're going to have to either get a really big monitor or suck it up and find a different game to play.

Why do I have to find another game to play? Just because I run a vanilla client? Seems to run just fine without the mods.

I don't have to worry about weegees false positives on cheats and keeping mods up to date with every update (see... that doesn't even sound right).

Members
275 posts
1,035 battles

I like to have an ultra wide big screen monitor, but the cost associated with buying GPUs to handle the resolution and keep up witht the rapid tech expanding every year. Yeah that would be a money sink hole.

Edited by Legio_X_

[NSC]
Members
149 posts
5,769 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I like to have an ultra wide big screen monitor, but the cost associated with buying GPUs to handle the resolution and keep up witht the rapid tech expanding every year. Yeah that would be a money sink hole.

I've been running a 2560x1600 resolution on my 30" monitor for 10 years or so.  It's not as bad as you think with regards to upgrades.  I've ran the same cpu, mb combo for the past 6 years or so but did upgrade gpu last year. 

Edited by __Dave

[XBRTC]
Members
1,664 posts
7,931 battles
4 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

Why do I have to find another game to play? Just because I run a vanilla client? Seems to run just fine without the mods.

I don't have to worry about weegees false positives on cheats and keeping mods up to date with every update (see... that doesn't even sound right).

I thought you were complaining about not being able to make the minimap big enough to see? If I misunderstood (or got you mixed up with someone else) then I apologize.