You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

I received an Asashio B from a container. Now what?

44 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
887 battles

How should I spec my captain (10 points) and what are the essential upgrades? Also, how do I play the thing? It looks like it would be really bad a contesting capture points.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
3,820 battles

You sink BB's , and then feast on their salty tears for sustenance .

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles
10 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

How should I spec my captain (10 points) and what are the essential upgrades? Also, how do I play the thing? It looks like it would be really bad a contesting capture points.

This is how I would spec it with a 10 point captain to start:

Capture.JPG

After that, you can go several different directions with her build.  But considering she a one-trick pony who is torpedo dependent to deal any signficant damage, I'd be focusing most of your points around survival and torpedoes.

As for cap contesting, she has some of the best concealment values in the game, so there is no reason she can't be an excellent cap contestor (aka: spotter) when played correctly.  Just don't make the mistake of battling it out in knife fights with other DDs in Asashio.

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles
2 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Last Stand is pretty much mandatory for destroyers, isn't it?

100%.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,847 posts
4,814 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Looking at your record you have SIX matches in DDs, with 5 being in coop. I suggest that you just bench Asashio until you gain more experience, preferably by going up the Shimakaze line and reaching at least Kagero, which Asashio is most similar to.

Asashio is a demanding ship and not for a green DD newbie.

• Cool 8

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
3,820 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Looking at your record you have SIX matches in DDs, with 5 being in coop. I suggest that you I'd just bench Asashio until you gain more experience, preferably by going up the Shimakaze line and reaching at least Kagero, which Asashio is most similar to.

Asashio is a demanding ship and not for a green DD newbie.

:Smile_great:

This is good advice

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles

Asashio can be feast or famine damage wise (depending on skill as well). It isn't an easy ship to play and time in Dds in general will help you be more effective. Spec for torps. Don't be afraid to use your guns if the opportunity presents itself. Don't be afraid to cap. Don't sit in the back waiting for the perfect shot....those shots don't happen from the back. Don't always fire your torps at near max or max range. Also, don't forget you can fire torps underneath your fellow DDs and cruisers. Lastly, don't aim at the grey torp aim assist, it's often a study in Bovine Scatology. 

Enjoy your new ship!

Hope this helps. :)

Members
3,481 posts
8,660 battles
39 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Uninstall? :Smile_trollface:

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
887 battles
14 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Asashio can be feast or famine damage wise (depending on skill as well). It isn't an easy ship to play and time in Dds in general will help you be more effective. Spec for torps. Don't be afraid to use your guns if the opportunity presents itself. Don't be afraid to cap. Don't sit in the back waiting for the perfect shot....those shots don't happen from the back. Don't always fire your torps at near max or max range. Also, don't forget you can fire torps underneath your fellow DDs and cruisers. Lastly, don't aim at the grey torp aim assist, it's often a study in Bovine Scatology. 

Enjoy your new ship!

Hope this helps. :)

I'm going to get some solid practice time in co-op I think. It seems like a weird playstyle.

[BUOY]
Members
224 posts
8,428 battles
39 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

This is how I would spec it with a 10 point captain to start:

Capture.JPG

After that, you can go several different directions with her build.  But considering she a one-trick pony who is torpedo dependent to deal any signficant damage, I'd be focusing most of your points around survival and torpedoes.

As for cap contesting, she has some of the best concealment values in the game, so there is no reason she can't be an excellent cap contestor (aka: spotter) when played correctly.  Just don't make the mistake of battling it out in knife fights with other DDs in Asashio.

With the recent 20% dmg buff to IJN 127's, it might be good to go with BFT as the 3 point skill for Asashio since the torps are the definition of situational while a 10% buff to DPM to what is now respectable alpha damage could actually put you over the top against other DD's.

Edited by lloyd1701

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles
3 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

With the recent 20% dmg buff to IJN 127's, it might be good to go with BFT as the 3 point skill for Asashio since the torps are the definition of situational while a 10% buff to DPM to what is now respectable alpha damage could actually put you over the top against other DD's.

Your point is not without merit, but is debatable, as even with that 20% buff, she'll still be easily outgunned by most other DD competition she faces.

Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
13 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Your point is not without merit, but is debatable, as even with that 20% buff, she'll still be easily outgunned by most other DD competition she faces.

True. Having said that, I ran some tests with her and that little bump in damage really adds up. The buff didn't sound like much to me at first, but after checking it out it sure does make a difference. Of course, she's still a torp boat so I'm not sure how many points I'd put towards the guns. haha

[JUGS]
Beta Testers
1,374 posts
15,344 battles
17 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm going to get some solid practice time in co-op I think. It seems like a weird playstyle.

You can get the "feel" for the ship in coop, but coop will never get your DD tactical skills anywhere near to the point where you will be effective in random battles....they are hugely different.  So I suggest you follow Super Dreadnought's advice to learn to play the IJN DD line in randoms before trying out a tier VIII DD since DD play is hard enough let alone trying to use the unique Asashio.

Good luck and have fun.

[WOLFC]
Members
171 posts
4,260 battles

I'm a crud player and this is my main so take this for what its worth

Priority Target

You want to know how many ships near you are targetting you and run away ASAP  - your best asset is your concealment - protect it

Last Stand

Cause you are a destroyer

Superintendent

Why?  The #1 thing you are going to be watching apart from the mini map is the downtime left on your torps and on your Torpedo Release Boost.  You are going to want to use the premium version because you REALLY want the reduced time involved.    You will usually use 3.

The #1 thing you are going to be using is smoke and turbo boost every single time you are found out.  Never got caught without a smoke.

No smoke - you die.  It's that simple.

Concealment Expert

Necessary - makes you difficult

Do NOT take Torpedo Acceleration yet - its a frill / personal choice best used in the next round.  5km speed is Ok but having 4 more km to make BB's dance is a personal choice.

How to play?

Lots of people have different approaches but  the biggest thing to remember is you are a scout that harrases BB's but can't contest against any boat out there on your own.

Use that concealment.  Find those BB's - make em dance.

As for the  "you have to know how the line plays" thing I'm seeing on here.

Sure, if you are a perfectionist, run up the DD lines for a bit first.  Hey, if you don't know DD's, then you need to learn DD play first, specifically concealment and torp usage.  I would actually suggest the Asian Pacific line to learn from as not using torps against DD's and CL;'s is a MAJOR learning curve for this ship.  

BUT.....the only thing that teaches you how this boat plays is this boat  -  and only Random in this boat can teach you that.   Co-op is a joke in this boat because you only usually get 2 real targets and the bots know where you are.  Not worth doing.

Personally, I'm  very Miss Frizzle on this game -

Get in it.

Get messy.

Make mistakes.

Its the best way.

Edited by Anonymous50
  • Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
268 posts
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Last Stand is pretty much mandatory for destroyers, isn't it?

I don't use last stand in my Asashio.  If you drive your Asashio well, you'll never be spotted and therefor never shot.  If you ARE spotted, you're so thin skinned and die so fast that Last Stand doesn't really help.  For the two point skill, on the Asashio, I use Torpedo Acceleration.  It cuts the range to 16km, but it is worth it I feel.  You're not going to hit many targets at 20km and the extra 5kts make the torps more difficult to dodge.

I don't use Prioroty Targrt either.  I don't understand why people use PT in general to be honest.  If I am detected, I assume I am targeted, especially in a DD.  PT doesn't DO anything to improve your survivability I don't think and the information it provides is redundant in my opinion. I feel that Preventative Maintenance actual improves a ship's survivability and decreases your need for Last Stand with your two point skill.

For my 10 point Asashio Capt, I use:

Preventative Maintenance

Torpedo Acceleration

Torpeso Reload Boost

Concealment Expert

Good luck with the ship, spot lots of ships, harass BBs, and take the occasional cap in the second half of the battle!

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
887 battles
18 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

I'm a crud player and this is my main so take this for what its worth

Priority Target

You want to know how many ships near you are targetting you and run away ASAP  - your best asset is your concealment - protect it

Last Stand

Cause you are a destroyer

Superintendent

Why?  The #1 thing you are going to be watching apart from the mini map is the downtime left on your torps and on your Torpedo Release Boost.  You are going to want to use the premium version because you REALLY want the reduced time involved.    You will usually use 3.

The #1 thing you are going to be using is smoke and turbo boost every single time you are found out.  Never got caught without a smoke.

No smoke - you die.  It's that simple.

Concealment Expert

Necessary - makes you difficult

Do NOT take Torpedo Acceleration yet - its a frill / personal choice best used in the next round.  5km speed is Ok but having 4 more km to make BB's dance is a personal choice.

How to play?

Lots of people have different approaches but  the biggest thing to remember is you are a scout that harrases BB's but can't contest against any boat out there on your own.

Use that concealment.  Find those BB's - make em dance.

As for the  "you have to know how the line plays" thing I'm seeing on here.

Sure, if you are a perfectionist, run up the DD lines for a bit first.  Hey, if you don't know DD's, then you need to learn DD play first, specifically concealment and torp usage.  I would actually suggest the Asian Pacific line to learn from as not using torps against DD's and CL;'s is a MAJOR learning curve for this ship.  

BUT.....the only thing that teaches you how this boat plays is this boat  -  and only Random in this boat can teach you that.   Co-op is a joke in this boat because you only usually get 2 real targets and the bots know where you are.  Not worth doing.

Personally, I'm  very Miss Frizzle on this game -

Get in it.

Get messy.

Make mistakes.

Its the best way.

I wish I had more +1s for the Miss Frizzle reference. 

[CSALT]
Members
268 posts

Lots of what I presume are new Asashio drivers today in game.  I saw two opposing ships launch torps at each other in a duel, lmbo. 

:Smile_facepalm:

[BUOY]
Members
224 posts
8,428 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

It is debatable, but the reason I'd push BFT over TAE is that, unlike her sister Kagero and other main line IJN DD's, which can still succeed to an extent even if they never fire their guns, the Asashio is a Kagero with broken torp launchers against over half the starting red team in the best case scenario (yes, you can have the scenario of 1-2 CV's and 5 BB's for 6-7 total torp targets, but... yeah...:Smile-_tongue:) There's also the fact that your torps are generally most useful in 4x4 doom drops (which does make SI a viable 3 point pick as well) and outside of basically the Trumpwagon you get to dictate when the gunfight starts vs red BB's, not so much with red DD's and CA's...

Members
1,112 posts
33 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I don't use Prioroty Targrt either.  I don't understand why people use PT in general to be honest.  If I am detected, I assume I am targeted, especially in a DD.  PT doesn't DO anything to improve your survivability I don't think and the information it provides is redundant in my opinion. I feel that Preventative Maintenance actual improves a ship's survivability and decreases your need for Last Stand with your two point skill.

I agree. The yellow exclamation point tells me it's time to "turn and burn." Anything than can shoot at a DD will.

[WOLFC]
Members
209 posts
15,044 battles
6 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

It is debatable, but the reason I'd push BFT over TAE is that, unlike her sister Kagero and other main line IJN DD's, which can still succeed to an extent even if they never fire their guns, the Asashio is a Kagero with broken torp launchers against over half the starting red team in the best case scenario (yes, you can have the scenario of 1-2 CV's and 5 BB's for 6-7 total torp targets, but... yeah...:Smile-_tongue:) There's also the fact that your torps are generally most useful in 4x4 doom drops (which does make SI a viable 3 point pick as well) and outside of basically the Trumpwagon you get to dictate when the gunfight starts vs red BB's, not so much with red DD's and CA's...

I got the Asashio today in a container and in my first match I gunned down a Benson. Commander had BFT and the Benson was dodging fire from a friendly cruiser but I ended up doing most of the damage to her. I'll side with lloyd here and say that BFT is worth having. If you find yourself up against an enemy DD that you just can't get away from, your guns are all you've got. You can't use your torps to sink them or at least distract them.

And if you blunder into the enemy Kagero like I did, having BFT might be enough to let you win the resulting gun dual.

But having a friendly cruiser nearby is better. :Smile_Default: