You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

PSA: Missions for free Black Friday containers.

42 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,130 posts
4,860 battles

So there is a mission chain to win five of these running from today (Nov 23) to December 7. Down the bottom of this page: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/black-friday/

Phase 1: earn 50,000 commander XP in Tier V-X ships - Random, Co-op, Clan, Ops and Twilight mode. Not too bad, considering you have to earn 40K for some of the British missions, and I've done 40K in one night without too many problems. This unlocks...

Phase 2: earn 50,000 ship XP; requirements as above. (Note that anyone who plays for all three containers every day will complete this in two nights. I will probably take more like a week.) This then unlocks...

Phase 3: earn 50,000 free XP. Um... okay, how many Draconic flags do I have? Not many. But if you do it, this unlocks...

Phase 4: earn 50,000 base XP. Owwwwch. Still, given that a half-decent game can net you a thousand, that's not too bad. I was already considering buying the Sims; together with the tech tree doubloon discount, this might just shove me over the edge.

Each one of these stages yields a Black Friday container.

Having completed all four of these stages, a fifth BF container will be delivered to you.

It would be interesting to know what people get from these. My working hypothesis is that RNG for ships will be back-loaded and they will mostly yield camo. I would love to be proven wrong.

It's quite a grind, and should be attempted with ships and captains you are trying to advance, with captain or free XP harvesting signals mounted as may be appropriate to the stage (e.g. Red and Yellow Dragon preferred in phase 1, with a 19 point captain if you have one or in Twilight mode if you don't); Ouroborous in Phase 3, with a ship that also gives good XP gains).

A reminder that all Twilight Mode captains earn Elite Commander XP, and if you do not have any 19 point captains of your own, you should strongly consider favouring this mode, harvesting ECXP, and killing two birds with one stone.

If you are doing the permanent campaigns, it would pay to select XP-grinding missions wherever possible for maximum synergy.

• Cool 3

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,720 posts
3,733 battles

I wouldn't be surprised if the free crates have worse ship drop rates than the Premium crates.

But then again, someone who got really lucky would come in here and shout "I got a BLACK ship from one of the free crates! ZOMGOMGOMG!! LOL~!" and that would unintentionally trick some other people into thinking that the rates of the free crates are pretty GUD... only to be disappointed. Of course, this could all be a marketing ploy, as some of those group would open their wallets to keep trying their luck. :Smile_teethhappy:

But then again, they're actually selling the BLACK ships separately, so maybe not. :Smile_teethhappy:

[ABCD3]
Members
98 posts
3,937 battles

Knowing my luck, it would be the same with getting all camos.   RN, did not get one single mission for  a DD.

But cannot complain, free is free.   

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,583 battles

Twilight will make this go by pretty fast; 7v7 so not as long as regular 12v12 and similar earnings to regular Random. With the side bonus of building up extra CXP.

Members
579 posts
3,139 battles
24 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I got unlucky lol, got the 6 pack, all droped the 20x camos

Tell me about it. Bought 12 and 8 dropped those stupid camos. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,274 posts
9,598 battles

Well, it looks like I can't start this until Monday because of being a tasty bird at the moment.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,392 posts
19,426 battles

Two weeks vacation after my nightshifts ends in nine hours. I think that will be enough time to finish this. I have huge stacks of flags to burn through.

My main goal is earning the last Guinea tomorrow for the Cossack.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
67 posts
3,306 battles

I'm not seeing any progress on this anywhere and I've been playing all morning. Am I supposed to sign up or something?

[WOLFC]
Members
419 posts
6,184 battles
25 minutes ago, ZER01025 said:

I'm not seeing any progress on this anywhere and I've been playing all morning. Am I supposed to sign up or something?

I didn't sign up ... it just showed up in my list of Combat Missions this morning when I logged in.

Screenshot_4.png

[LEGIT]
Members
1,375 posts
21,896 battles

Yea it's a nice mission set.  Just glad we don't have to "opt in" for it and all can see it.

• Cool 2

[SPV]
Members
118 posts
2,629 battles
2 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

Twilight will make this go by pretty fast; 7v7 so not as long as regular 12v12 and similar earnings to regular Random. With the side bonus of building up extra CXP.

Speak for yourself. I have a 4 to 1 lose-win ratio in Twilight

[PENND]
Beta Testers
17 posts
4,435 battles

I bought 5 "Black Friday" containers and got lots of black camo and a Tirpitz B (not what I was hoping for).  FYI, if you receive a ship via a container, it comes with a 10 point commander as well (not bad).  However, if you purchase a "B" ship it comes with a zero point commander and even though it says you are eligible for a 2500 doubloon mission, you're NOT.  You can only play the "Gold Rush" mission if you already own the ship and then buy the B Ship as well. Makes sense?  Oh yeah, and even if you do NOT have the standard ship, the mission shows up in your "Personal Missions" tab.  Why?

Mass B.JPG

Edited by DuckBoom
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,130 posts
4,860 battles
Just now, DuckBoom said:

even though it says you are eligible for a 2500 doubloon mission, you're NOT

It gives exactly the conditions required if only you take the trouble to scroll down. I have emphasised the relevant section in bold below.

DETAILS

With Black Friday drawing near, replenish your collection with battleship Massachusetts in a unique black permanent camouflage! 
Please note: Massachusetts B is a separate ship. If you already have the standard Massachusetts in your collection, you can use her to complete a special Combat Mission after purchasing the bundle. Conditions: simply enter battle on Massachusetts to claim 250 doubloons. The mission can be obtained only once per account and completed 10 times until January 31.

If more people read the fine print, there might be a lot less salt spilled here.

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,855 posts
2,701 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It would be interesting to know what people get from these.

Based on reports here, the ships drop rate in these crates seems quite good.  I'd guestimate over 5%.  I really would like Mass Black, but that a grind!

[PENND]
Beta Testers
17 posts
4,435 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It gives exactly the conditions required if only you take the trouble to scroll down. I have emphasised the relevant section in bold below.

DETAILS

With Black Friday drawing near, replenish your collection with battleship Massachusetts in a unique black permanent camouflage! 
Please note: Massachusetts B is a separate ship. If you already have the standard Massachusetts in your collection, you can use her to complete a special Combat Mission after purchasing the bundle. Conditions: simply enter battle on Massachusetts to claim 250 doubloons. The mission can be obtained only once per account and completed 10 times until January 31.

If more people read the fine print, there might be a lot less salt spilled here.

Of course you are correct.  The devil is in the details.  But I spent my career in marketing.  What offends me is the "bait and switch".  If the sale banner says, you are buying a ship, a port slot and a mission worth 2500 doubloons, it's wrong.  And to make matters worse, my "Personal Assignments" tab even shows the "Gold Rush" mission (typically reserved for the ship you purchase) even though I don't own the standard ship!  If I'm not eligible for the mission, why do they show it?

Mass B #2.JPG

[ARGSY]
Members
7,130 posts
4,860 battles
1 hour ago, DuckBoom said:

If I'm not eligible for the mission, why do they show it?

Possibly because there's something not allowing them to sniff into your port and find out what you have or don't have? IDK. 

[NNA]
Members
282 posts
6,380 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It would be interesting to know what people get from these.

I bought one Black Friday crate just to see what the fuss was all about. Just got 20 of the Shadow Lurker Camo. While the camo looks like it has some nice bonuses. It seems to me that $5.00 for 1 crate or $30.00 for 6 is just a little bit more than I want to spend right now. Especially since other crates in the past were usually $3.00 for 1 and $15 for 5. But that's my personal opinion.

[INTEL]
Members
8,820 posts
26,272 battles
23 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It would be interesting to know what people get from these. My working hypothesis is that RNG for ships will be back-loaded and they will mostly yield camo. I would love to be proven wrong.I

Only camos so far. 

[ARGSY]
Members
7,130 posts
4,860 battles

I won one on a Twitch stream. 2 weeks of premium. Thank you, @C0L0NEL_MUSTARD. Just what I needed to tackle this thing, though of course it won't help with the base XP task!!!

• Cool 1

[XCOM]
Beta Testers
91 posts
144 battles

The free ones suck if you're a casual player.  I was expecting more then I looked at the article

again.  They give less rewards then the premium ones.

[W-P-E]
Members
25 posts
7,700 battles

first one got 1 day premium, 2nd got 250 gold... 1st crate helps to get 2nd and 3rd much faster.   tomorrow would get the 3rd one. last one is long term.

also bought 1 crate and got Tirpitz B with 2500 gold rush too

Edited by o4x4

[STW-M]
Members
2,329 posts
6,235 battles

Unfortunately, for someone like me with sparse free time (most I'm online is a few co-op battles every week), these containers are far beyond my reach.

50k commander and ship xp are already stretching it. 50k free xp and base xp? Not going to happen.

Add to the fact that there's no guarantee that the containers will have anything good, and I'm going to have to say nope to this one.