You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sparviero

A silly observation, not to be taken seriously.

3 comments in this topic

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
861 posts
63 battles

Everyone is fawning over how great Vanguard is and the accuracy is so wonderful. The backline accurate battlecruiser concept is so refreshing and should be the future. Meanwhile I'm in Roma praying that RNG lets me actually punish broadside immobile targets for once in the match. After several minutes of farming damage like a pro my team started moving up a bit. :Smile-_tongue:

06gXN7D.jpg

At least I did get something besides detonation or fire chance flags out of a super container.

xTHhsIE.jpg

And now rare footage of a destroyer reversing behind an island sadly he didn't realize he was on the ocean map. 

From the speed trials of the Navigatori class ship Nicoloso Da Recco.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
918 posts
6,248 battles

That reversing looks to be a lot more than 12 kts. I feel like WG shortchanged us on reverse speed!

[--V--]
Members
504 posts
10,877 battles

Astern or Reverse on Steam Turbine ships IS pretty slow compared to Ahead.

1. There was no REVERSE gear on any of the steam turbine ships I served or trained on.   Steam is routed to a different section of the steam turbines which are positioned to apply power in the opposite rotational direction.  These 'reverse' fans on the steam turbines for were much smaller and fewer than the forward fans.  Thus they could not provide near as much speed astern.

2. The hydro-dynamic properties of the ship going astern are not compatible with high speed.

However, there were DDs during WWII which were diesel powered.  Going into reverse for those 'was' a gear change to my knowledge.  Therefore, they could've applied as much thrust forward as in reverse.  Hydro-dynamic limitations would still apply.

And one last point, when we went full reverse, it was very visually deceiving.  So much water is kicked up from the flat stern of the ship it made it look as though we were going much faster than we were.

My 2 cents.  There were many different ship configurations and designs.  I never saw them all.

• Cool 1