Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

Which Premium doubloon BB?

9 comments in this topic

[FYL]
Members
252 posts
1,408 battles

I got a ton of gold from Arena shutting down and a nice amount from crates and once I do them, three B ship missions, and I want to use the gold for a new ship.

I was mostly looking at getting one for captain training. Secondary but nearly equal desire is that the ship be fun. I am progressing down all lines of BB, with USN and German being my favorite.

For the British I was looking at the Hood, largely because of its history and prestige. I already have a Nelson and Warspite so I'm not sure this is worth it even though it'd be a cool ship. I'm actually only at the Orion because I love the Nelson and Warspite so much.

For German line, I have Tirpitz regular and B and am at the Bayern. The Tirpitz is my favorite premium and I was looking at the Scharnhorst.

For USN, I have Massachusetts B, Texas and am at North Carolina. I was thinking the Alabama would be a good captain trainer (my MA set up is not) and its cheaper because of the sale so this is a good option.

For IJN, I'm looking at the Ashitaka but I'll have the Mushashi in 3 weeks or less. I currently am at the Nagato in xp but need a few more credits to buy it.

France is the only line I have no premium BBs in (unless you count Russia). I am currently at the Bretagne, and this is my only bb line with a sub-9 commander (around level 3). Looking at Dunkerque and Gascogne.

Thanks for any information/suggestions!

Edit: Also, fighting higher tiers (ie t8 v t10) doesn't bother me and is kind of fun.

Edited by Tanuvein

[TF_34]
Members
1,141 posts
7,078 battles
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Scharn is the most fun imo.

Scharn is excellent... one of the best tier 7s. 

[SHAFT]
Members
258 posts
10,839 battles

Scharn is one of the most fun BBs out there, def buy imho.

Musashi will be sufficient for IJN BB captain training, wouldn't waste time buying Ashitaka. Same goes for Hood, two UK BB premiums are more than enough.

Depends on if you plan to invest in Christmas containers, I would also pick up any other premiums that you could with the gold remaining.

More premiums increases the chances of getting a "rarer" ship drop with those.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,657 posts
2,339 battles

AL is a lot of fun. Turns like a cruiser, guns are good, and you laugh at torpedoes. T8 makes it a great trainer as well. You work either an AA or survivability captain as well.

[DRACS]
Members
3,602 posts

Here's my take on your listed options. Please note that this is also highly dependent on which ships you need captain trainers on the most. Also, while I usually don't recommend grabbing many tier 8 ships when you only play low tier, the ongoing sale is worth it. You can always get better at those ships over time:

- Hood is my personal favorite ship in the game. That being said, it has a hefty learning curve as it's quite different from most BBs. If you know how to angle (not go bow on), and know where to aim with Hood's guns (upper belt on BBs, waterline on cruisers), then you can do well with her. If not, it'll be a massive struggle. Took me a solid 20+ games before I started to truly grasp how to play her. And now I find her very rewarding and fun to play. Hood is very fast and also very tanky. She's great for pushing up a flank and then anchoring herself to pose a constant side flank threat.

- Scharnhorst is a ship that *demands* you brawl with it. The 11 inch guns are very meh at longer range, but very dangerous up close. I personally am so so on this ship and prefer playing the Hood, overall, but I do know a lot of people really love this ship, and I have had good games in her when I managed to exploit an opening and push. If you struggle with map awareness and surviving a brawl with a battleship, do not get this ship.

- Alabama is a very good ship. Her main guns are only marginally less accurate than NC and noticeably more so than Mass. That being said, she's also more fragile than Mass due to less health and worse heal. She also doesn't have Mass' secondary gun accuracy. Alabama is a close to mid range ship. You can brawl a bit with it and you can lob shells from further away with it. But she'll never be as good as NC from range, or as good as Mass up close. Very jack of all trades master of none.

- I don't have any experience in Ashitaka, although I know they recently buffed her guns so that she performs as well as a tier 8 Amagi, but with less AA and armor. But if you know for a fact you're getting Musashi, maybe it's less urgent. Although they don't play the same way.

- Between Dunkerque and Gascogne, you want Gascogne. Dunkerque has been power crept to death due to tier 6 ships being up tiered very often, so her whole bow on approach just doesn't work anymore. Gascogne on the other hand is very fast, has access to the speed boost which is a hallmark of the french line, and being tier 8, it has 32mm of playing so you can actually bounce battleship AP. Just be warned that much like other french battleships, she can absolutely melt under focused HE fire.

[BNKR]
Members
214 posts
1,892 battles
44 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

AL is a lot of fun. Turns like a cruiser, guns are good, and you laugh at torpedoes. T8 makes it a great trainer as well. You work either an AA or survivability captain as well.

My very first run in the AL - I ate 8 torps and still lived to see another day.  Co-op match, yes, but it was hilarious, nonetheless.

That alone made me satisfied with my purchase.  Gotta take it out into the Random world when I get some time.

Edited by CatSnipah

Sign in to follow this